Advice by Lunations

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
Post Reply
User avatar
Virgo
Former staff member
Posts: 4034
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Uni-verse

Advice by Lunations

Post by Virgo »

A calander year contains either three or four seasons, depending on how the seasons are split up or reckoned. Whether it is reckoned as three or four seasons, a calander year still consist of twelve complete lunations or moon cycles. Sometimes (every 2 - 3 years), there is an additional moon cycle in a calander year, because the length of lunations varies depending on how close the moon is to the earth at any given time at which it cycles, as well as other reasons.

I know that advice is given in Tibetan Medicine for diet and lifestyle by season. The reason being that certain elements are dominant during certain seasons and this can disturb humours, effect digestion, etc.-- we accumulate certain things more at certain times. However, I also know that ancient people marked time by lunar phases. Specifically, the full moon (the end of a lunation) is the time where things come to completion. So, I was wondering if there is any extant advice for diet, behavior, cleanses etc., taught by lunations, that is to say for each of the individual 12 moon cycles in a calander year (whether over 3 or 4 seasons).

Thanks,

Kevin
***
User avatar
Virgo
Former staff member
Posts: 4034
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Uni-verse

Re: Advice by Lunations

Post by Virgo »

Being that astrology will be practiced widely over the next 2,000 years, this text would be very, very important in helping people on a practical level and also in understanding the importance of Tibetan Medicine.

Kevin
***
Malcolm
Posts: 35131
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Advice by Lunations

Post by Malcolm »

Virgo wrote:A calander year contains either three or four seasons, depending on how the seasons are split up or reckoned. Whether it is reckoned as three or four seasons, a calander year still consist of twelve complete lunations or moon cycles. Sometimes (every 2 - 3 years), there is an additional moon cycle in a calander year, because the length of lunations varies depending on how close the moon is to the earth at any given time at which it cycles, as well as other reasons.

I know that advice is given in Tibetan Medicine for diet and lifestyle by season. The reason being that certain elements are dominant during certain seasons and this can disturb humours, effect digestion, etc.-- we accumulate certain things more at certain times. However, I also know that ancient people marked time by lunar phases. Specifically, the full moon (the end of a lunation) is the time where things come to completion. So, I was wondering if there is any extant advice for diet, behavior, cleanses etc., taught by lunations, that is to say for each of the individual 12 moon cycles in a calander year (whether over 3 or 4 seasons).

Thanks,

Kevin
It goes by the four or six seasons. The end of a lunar month is considered the new moon, not the full moon.
"Conceptuality is great ignorance,
causing one to fall into the ocean of samsāra."
—Māyājālamahātantra
User avatar
Virgo
Former staff member
Posts: 4034
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Uni-verse

Re: Advice by Lunations

Post by Virgo »

Malcolm wrote:
It goes by the four or six seasons. The end of a lunar month is considered the new moon, not the full moon.
Thanks for the correction, Malcolm. In Tibetan Astrology is the full moon considered a time when things (projects, ideas, and so forth) come to a certain culmination? (I know it is in Vedic and Western) If so, as a Menpa would you think that is a way to mark time (so to speak), in a way, of when doshas are effected on a more minute level than on a seasonal level (even though of course it is a gradual process, happening moment to moment)? I would just like your thoughts on this, please.

Kevin
***
Malcolm
Posts: 35131
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Advice by Lunations

Post by Malcolm »

Virgo wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
It goes by the four or six seasons. The end of a lunar month is considered the new moon, not the full moon.
Thanks for the correction, Malcolm. In Tibetan Astrology is the full moon considered a time when things (projects, ideas, and so forth) come to a certain culmination? (I know it is in Vedic and Western) If so, as a Menpa would you think that is a way to mark time (so to speak), in a way, of when doshas are effected on a more minute level than on a seasonal level (even though of course it is a gradual process, happening moment to moment)? I would just like your thoughts on this, please.

Kevin

The full moon represents the end of the monthly cycle of flourishing which begins with the cycle of the waxing moon.
"Conceptuality is great ignorance,
causing one to fall into the ocean of samsāra."
—Māyājālamahātantra
Post Reply

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”