Schroedinger’s Cat

Just for fun
PadmaVonSamba

Schroedinger’s Cat

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I think this is from The New Yorker Magazine
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Schroedinger’s Cat

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

For a split second I thought you’d started a thread about me!
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:31 am For a split second I thought you’d started a thread about me!
He sort of did, until you read it
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:31 am For a split second I thought you’d started a thread about me!
How sure are you that second was actually split?
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Schrödinger’s Yidam

FiveSkandhas wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:28 pm
Schrödinger meets Nagarjuna.

Sounds like a Monty Python skit.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Funny
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
cyril

Post by cyril »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:37 pm
FiveSkandhas wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:28 pm
Schrödinger meets Nagarjuna.

Sounds like a Monty Python skit.
Schrödinger's parrot. "It's dead, that's what's wrong with it." "No,it's not, it's just resting"
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
Supramundane

Post by Supramundane »

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

cyril wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:32 pm Schrödinger's parrot. "It's dead, that's what's wrong with it." "No,it's not, it's just resting"
Schrodinger: ...so you see, until you open the box, the cat is both alive and dead.
Nagarjuna: No it's not.
S: Weren't you paying attention? I just proved it. Prior to the collapse of the wave function, both states exist.
N: Nah, it's one of the four corners of the tetralemma, I negated that literally millenia ago. Existent, non-existent, both, neither: none of them work.
S: You have any, uh, experimental data for that?
N: What's that?
S: You know, facts, evidence, that sort of thing. Even a well-designed thought experiment.
N: Well, I have my five great arguments, I guess you could call them experiments?
S: OK, hit me with your best one. Demonstrate to me that my argument is wrong.
N: Well, my most famous one is of course dependent arising, which shows the lack of true existence of all phenomena. Basically nothing has true existence because all phenomena manifest in relation to each other.
S: So you're talking here about true existence. The whole point of my theory is to show that there isn't a single state of existence before the collapse of the wave function. Is that what you mean?
N: No, not even that, even your wave doesn't really exist, and after you open the box, there isn't a dead cat or a live cat.
S: So there's just nothing? Nothing exists? Like...none of this matters, we're not even standing in a bar having a drink?
N: Well, not really, that would be nihilism, I guess.
Camus: Hi guys, how's it going?
S+N, in unison: Go away, we're having a private conversation.
(Camus picks up his drink and slowly walks out towards the patio, feeling the heat of the sun overhead and the weight of the gun inside his jacket.)
S: So you're not a nihilist? You admit that after I've opened the box, there's either a dead cat or a live cat, but there's at least a cat?
N: Well, that depends what you mean by 'cat'.
Derrida: You fellows need some help?
(S+N pick up their drinks and move to quieter part of the bar)
N: I mean, there's the idea of the cat that you've got, but there's not really a truly existent cat, whether alive or dead.
S: Come on, that's just silly. I see a cat. You see a cat. If I get a native from Papua New Guinea to come over here who doesn't know anything about wave functions or tetralemmas to look at it, he'll see the same cat. Can't we all agree that there's at least a cat in the box?
N: Well, what I meant is, what makes it a cat. Suppose for instance I cut its legs off.
S: You cut the legs off cats? That's sick. And to think people criticized me for poisoning cats humanely.
N: You actually poisoned cats? This wasn't a thought experiment?
S: Uh...of course it was a thought experiment. So, you were saying?
N: Well, I was getting to another of my five arguments, which I like to call 'neither one nor many'. Basically, what makes the cat a cat? If you take the legs off a cat, is it still a cat?
S: Of course it is, it's a cat without legs.
N: Well, why?
S: Duh. Because that's a definition of cat that everyone with a brain can agree on. Nobody is ever going to dispute that. And if you cut its legs off, whichever superposed state it was in before, it's definitely dead after.
N: Well, I dispute that.
S: You dispute what? That it's dead? Have you seen many living cats with no legs?
N: I dispute your assertion of a truly existent cat.
S: You can't just dispute something without any sort of evidence or coherent argument. Then you're just making stuff up. And also - you dispute the existence of a cat? This is what you do for a living? How much do they pay you for that?
N: Actually they pay me pretty well, because I answer the profound questions. Meaning of life. That sort of thing.
S: With non-existent cats?
N: With emptiness.
S: How is your emptiness more useful than my explaining how subatomic particles work?
N: Have you ever seen a subatomic particle? How do you know they exist?
S: Well, as I explained in my thought experiment...
N: About that so-called thought experiment. Isn't that just making stuff up too? Why should anyone accept that as proof?
S: But you're the one saying it doesn't work. Everyone else thinks it's pretty great. You need to provide evidence for why it doesn't work.
N: I came here for a drink, I wasn't expecting an inquisition.
Spanish Inquisition: Nobody expects...
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

How is the cat not a valid observer?
Schrödinger’s Yidam

On a related note, here's "The Advaita Trap":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KXidr0z1RY

Return to “Games & Humour”