Babylon Bee

Just for fun
Nicholas Weeks

Babylon Bee

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

More sagely insight, historically based, of course:

https://babylonbee.com/news/reminder-ad ... -do-things
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Babylon Bee

Post by Grigoris »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:55 pm More sagely insight, historically based, of course:

Making fun of two deadly serious issues in one go.

I don't know if that is funny or stupid. I am tending towards the second option.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Grigoris wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:35 pm
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:55 pm More sagely insight, historically based, of course:

I don't know if that is funny or stupid. I am tending towards the second option.
I tend to be wary of Babylon Bee, especially with how it treats and mocks liberals and the like such as Greta Thunberg (a whole load of BS on the poor girl) and others, often using caricatures that reflect some seriously misinformed viewpoints (like climate change). After the years gone by, I've really lost my laughter upon them and it's only on the occasion such as Church or Southern culture topics that I manage to get a laugh as a former Presbyterian. This article is one of the few laughs but the rest of the articles nowadays are just WTF. I stick my devotion to the Onion instead.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Grigoris wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:35 pm

It's an American Evangelical Christian Right-Wing Conservative "satire" site, so you immediately know that it will be devoid of anything that is even remotely fun, unlike classics like The Onion.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Two posts giving lie to the notion that Leftists lack a sense of humor. Why would anyone think that? :roll:
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

"Humor" in the same sense that your annoying uncle's flat, vaguely racist attempts at edgy jokes are "humor". Technically true, not so much in practice.

Basically, talking smack with the mentality of an eighteen year old trying to be cool in debate class counts as "humor" in the world of right wing media.
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:02 pm Two posts giving lie to the notion that Leftists lack a sense of humor. Why would anyone think that? :roll:
IDK because to me it usually seems to be the culturally conservative right that are the most humorless across the board, pointless jokes that just seem embarrassing... "oh, they think that's clever". Libertarians at least have some sense of humor.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:12 am
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:02 pm Five posts giving lie to the notion that Leftists lack a sense of humor. Why would anyone think that? :roll:
Consensus Rules - only approved humor wanted.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:29 am
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:02 pm Five posts giving lie to the notion that Leftists lack a sense of humor. Why would anyone think that? :roll:
It must be tough being so oppressed, so powerless, so disenfranchised. How does the political right survive against such unfair treatment?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:29 am Consensus Rules - only approved humor wanted.
It's not that at all, Nicholas, it's that most jokes are only funny from a particular perspective. The most concise illustration I know is this:
I slip on a banana peel - it's tragic. You fall down a manhole - it's funny.

Think about it for a while and you will probably work it out.

:consoling:
Kim
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

You don't have the same sense of humor as me =/= My jokes are being oppressed
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Once again I have been shown the error of my ways. Between the DW Guardian sages and Plato, I bow in apologetic shame. :bow:
Plato, the most influential critic of laughter, treated it as an emotion that overrides rational self-control. In the Republic (388e), he says that the Guardians of the state should avoid laughter, “for ordinarily when one abandons himself to violent laughter, his condition provokes a violent reaction.” Especially disturbing to Plato were the passages in the Iliad and the Odyssey where Mount Olympus was said to ring with the laughter of the gods. He protested that “if anyone represents men of worth as overpowered by laughter we must not accept it, much less if gods.”
From Stanford Ency. of Philosophy article
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:36 pm Once again I have been shown the error of my ways. Between the DW Guardian sages and Plato, I bow in apologetic shame. :bow:
You should try laughing at your own failures once-in-a-while, rather than the failures of others. Just for a change.
Last edited by Grigoris on Sun May 17, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Grigoris wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:54 pm
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:36 pm Once again I have been shown the error of my ways. Between the DW Guardian sages and Plato, I bow in apologetic shame. :bow:
You should try laughing at your own failures once-in-a-while. Just for a change.
Unwarranted assumption that Nicholas only laughs at others - projection from G.? - not possible.

If one craves analysis of humor or the comic spirit, consider Bergson's essay "Laughter":
The comic spirit has a logic of its
own, even in its wildest eccentricities. It has a method in its
madness. It dreams, I admit, but it conjures up, in its dreams,
visions that are at once accepted and understood by the whole of a social group.
Can it then fail to throw light for us on the way that
human imagination works, and more particularly social, collective,
and popular imagination? Begotten of real life and akin to art,
should it not also have something of its own to tell us about art and life?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:00 pm ...If one craves analysis of humor or the comic spirit, consider Bergson's essay "Laughter":
The comic spirit has a logic of its
own, even in its wildest eccentricities. It has a method in its
madness. It dreams, I admit, but it conjures up, in its dreams,
visions that are at once accepted and understood by the whole of a social group.
Can it then fail to throw light for us on the way that
human imagination works, and more particularly social, collective,
and popular imagination? Begotten of real life and akin to art,
should it not also have something of its own to tell us about art and life?
(emphasis added)
Note: "a social group" not "a nation" or "the whole world".

:thinking:
Kim
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Naw, it's just bad humor, it's not funny, just kind of tone deaf and occasionally mean. I've looked at The Babylon Bee before, on rare occasion it has something chuckle-worthy, usually though it's just the whitest, blandest humor with a conservative slant that can be imagined.

So it's less about "approved" humor than it is that very few people here are going to appreciate it. So sure, a lot of this is subjective, but it seems like subjectively most of us here think it's bad. Can't imagine that would be a surprise. The right wing trying to paint the left as somehow more likely to use hyperbole is actually funnier than the joke in some ways.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:24 pm The right wing trying to paint the left as somehow more likely to use hyperbole is actually funnier than the joke in some ways.
Considering many of them believe universal health care is akin to communism or that gay marriage will bring about the end of civilization, it's very ironic.

Return to “Games & Humour”