D.I.Y. Tradition!

Just for fun
Simon E.

D.I.Y. Tradition!

Post by Simon E. »

I have decided to launch my own Buddhist tradition!

What I’ll do is invent a whole bunch of Buddhas, invent a whole back story for them set them in ancient pre -literate Britain, give them Celtic names that translate as things like “ Compassionate Light “. Commission art work for them and a distinctive logo. Ker-ching!
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Fortyeightvows

Re: D.I.Y. Tradition!

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Those things are always so short lived.

More successful to to adopt an established tradition and add some particular unique feature, or make a claim that this is the pure thing and that tradition was corrupted sometime
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

You might be on to something Fortyeight vows. 8-) Some unique feature of Dzogchen perhaps..no one can check that.
And I’ll have Six Noble Truths and the Ninefold Aryan Path..And a primordial Buddha called Seamus O’ Mooney. :twothumbsup:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Ha! I love it :rolling: .
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

seems relevant if not ironic.
Simon E. wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:02 am Not so. If you are making claims of historicity you need to produce actual evidence, contemporary literary, archeological, carbon dated manuscripts etc. And there are none. What there are are stories, claims, counterclaims that bear little scrutiny as forensic documents.
And it doesn’t matter in the least. What we have is a legacy of Dzogchen both Chos and Bon. And both are recognised by HHDL as genuine. We also have back stories concerning that legacy which are mostly pretty unconvincing.
I don’t think this should bother us. If Garab Dorje turns out to be a fictional character invented to give a focus and rationale to origin stories concerning Dzogchen ..thats fine. It doesn’t alter the practise and transmission of Dzogchen in the slightest.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:54 am I have decided to launch my own Buddhist tradition!

What I’ll do is invent a whole bunch of Buddhas, invent a whole back story for them set them in ancient pre -literate Britain, give them Celtic names that translate as things like “ Compassionate Light “. Commission art work for them and a distinctive logo. Ker-ching!
If you're awake, its what you do if it will resonate on the awakening level.

What stories will get the children out of the burning house?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Games & Humour”