Admin comings and goings

Messages from the admin team about how the forum operates. Please read them!
rose
Site Admin

Re: Admin comings and goings

Post by rose »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:01 am
Welcome back, purple rose, and thanks for taking on the role.

:namaste:
Kim
Thanks for the welcome. :smile:
Rick

Post by Rick »

To get a sense of what the admin and moderators have to deal with ... anyone know about how many postings DW gets per day?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Rick wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:15 pm To get a sense of what the admin and moderators have to deal with ... anyone know about how many postings DW gets per day?
About 128 per day, on average. (I can see it in the admin panel, didn't have to calculate manually.)

That's about 4,000 per month.
ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin »

purple rose wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:45 pm
Kim O'Hara wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:01 am
Welcome back, purple rose, and thanks for taking on the role.

Kim
Thanks for the welcome. :smile:
Good luck purple rose. Hopefully you can last longer than a month :)
Rick

Post by Rick »

Is 128 postings per day considered to be a lot for a forum?

Is each post read/vetted by a moderator? Or are moderators called in only when needed?

What does the administrator do ... besides worry? ;-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Rick wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:43 pm Is 128 postings per day considered to be a lot for a forum?
Forums are quite different, but I think it's a lot.

Is each post read/vetted by a moderator? Or are moderators called in only when needed?
Better call them when needed. Since moderators have a life besides moderating it's impossible to read everything, in my opinion.
Technical stuff and final decisions, I think. Never really understood it though. :spy:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

See this post:

viewtopic.php?f=109&t=30554

Moderating is mostly passive - we rely on members to flag problematic posts. The vast majority of posts are not problematic.

We may actively "referee" a thread if its producing more heat than light and ideally get it back on track. If the conversation has substantively run its course and there's nothing but heat, we may shut the thread down.

Some users, including Newly Registered Users, by default, and Moderated Users, by Mod Team designation, require approval of all posts. There are several members who are in the MU, only known to Mod Team.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Rick wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:43 pm Is 128 postings per day considered to be a lot for a forum?

There are also things like bots and spammers, and plenty of other stuff that never sees the light of day which has to be swept up to keep the place functional, some of the infrastructure is stuff that the admin handles.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

For a buddhist forum, it is somewhat high; as there are many that are virtually inactive. But compared to some other forums, our activity is very low. There are some pan-religious forums and politics forums that probably have at least 128 per hour.

I've seen lots of moderators come and go. For some it is just IRL activities and responsibilities that require their attention and they leave for a short while and then come back. Retro, over at DWT, for example left on at least one occasion, maybe even twice and then came back later, leaving only due to other responsibilities at the time.

Some take on too much, for example, feeling that they must analyze every single post made and then they get burned out. I'm speaking generally, not to any specific moderator or admin. Others take the other extreme and do too little and the mods or an admin suggests they leave the moderating team. I've found the most successful moderators and admins take a balanced approach, not taking on too much responsibility, but not being laissez-faire either. As in most things in life, middle way is best. :meditate:

I mention this here, providing this info, as there may be future moderators here reading this. :cheers:
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

明安 Myoan wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:30 am Hopefully Grig sees this question, but is there something we can change in the policy to make these positions less stressful for the people who take them on?
He has one of the most stressful jobs I can think of offline.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

amanitamusc wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:11 am
明安 Myoan wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:30 am Hopefully Grig sees this question, but is there something we can change in the policy to make these positions less stressful for the people who take them on?
Maybe he is stressed from modding DW though,if you consider that he has to deal with Dharma Siblings at times.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Welcome PR.
I’ll try to not give you too many headaches.
:smile:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

amanitamusc wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:21 am
amanitamusc wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:11 am
Maybe he is stressed from modding DW though,if you consider that he has to deal with Dharma Siblings at times.
I always figured that DW was Greg's way of staying engaged with like-minded people, i.e., a bit of an escape from his job and from a social environment which couldn't have supported his practice very much. If that was correct, then allowing himself to get *too* engaged here would have meant that DW became an extra burden instead of a way of easing his burden. And (still hypothetically) leaving would therefore be a good move for his own wellbeing.

More generally (i.e. this is not about Greg) the job is as stressful as you make it. David's comment is something I can agree with 100%.
DNS wrote:Some take on too much, for example, feeling that they must analyze every single post made and then they get burned out. I'm speaking generally, not to any specific moderator or admin. Others take the other extreme and do too little and the mods or an admin suggests they leave the moderating team. I've found the most successful moderators and admins take a balanced approach, not taking on too much responsibility, but not being laissez-faire either. As in most things in life, middle way is best. :meditate:
Moderating is excellent training in patience and equanimity, so long as you are able to step back enough to see the "problem posters" as ignorant, fallible people who often don't know how annoying - or how wrong :rolleye: - they are, and to remember that helping them is a core part of the role. My own patience seems to run out after about a year in the job. At that point I need to step down for six months or so and participate without feeling an obligation to do something :jedi: every time someone says something dumb.

Kim
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

It’s ironic.
Greg and I had many a tussle over the years..”you are whining” he would say. I would splutter indignantly and then catch myself whining.
“ You are power mad” I would whine.

But more lately we came to a kind of reppoachement. A grudging regard. An accommodation.

Then he up sticks! Huh!

Go well Greg. Your heart is big.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:09 am Moderating is excellent training in patience and equanimity, so long as you are able to step back enough to see the "problem posters" as ignorant, fallible people who often don't know how annoying - or how wrong :rolleye: - they are, and to remember that helping them is a core part of the role. My own patience seems to run out after about a year in the job. At that point I need to step down for six months or so and participate without feeling an obligation to do something :jedi: every time someone says something dumb.

Kim
The internet in particular brings dynamics that was unknown to buddhas past. There are multiple factors involved. Communicating on the internet engages "ego" (negative aspects of self attachment), denies physical cues outside of engagement of the words limiting involvement of other senses, propagates secret/sensitive transmissions without discrimination and all conversation good or bad remains in perpetuity. It is not limited to these aspects all of which are foreign to proven methodology that makes it a very wild, wild west scenario.

The upside is it facilitates the process of making these teachings accessible to all of humanity.
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Hi smcj, 🙂
smcj wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:54 am Welcome PR.
I’ll try to not give you too many headaches.
:smile:
Thanks for the welcome. 🐵 mind always appreciates being headache free.

pr
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Hi ford_truckin, 🙂

:oops: I seem to have missed your post.
ford_truckin wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:33 pm
Good luck purple rose. Hopefully you can last longer than a month :)
A month you say ... yikes, that long ... :lol:

pr

Return to “Announcements”