Garchen Rinpoche Shitro

Here we can publicise upcoming dharma events (talks, retreats, webcasts, etc).
Brunelleschi

Re: Garchen Rinpoche Shitro

Post by Brunelleschi »

Question about the Phowa. Really great teaching by Rinpoche, however I didn't really understand why there was no practice/empowerment. Am I missing something, does it come at a later date?

Isn't there supposed to be the practice of visualizing the deity etcetera?
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

Brunelleschi wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:36 am Question about the Phowa. Really great teaching by Rinpoche, however I didn't really understand why there was no practice/empowerment. Am I missing something, does it come at a later date?

In a thread in the Kagyu forum somebody said
Additionally I think there was going to be a transmission for Phowa practice but it seemed Garchen Rinpoche is under the weather and it is extremely risky to transmit it when you are sick especially when there was a conflict year for him where obstacles will be great.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Brunelleschi wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:36 am Question about the Phowa. Really great teaching by Rinpoche, however I didn't really understand why there was no practice/empowerment. Am I missing something, does it come at a later date?

He gave very essential instructions like noone else can. I am quite satisfied.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Brunelleschi

Post by Brunelleschi »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:55 am

He gave very essential instructions like noone else can. I am quite satisfied.
Yes I agree - I've been very impressed with his teachings. Especially considering his age.

I'm not complaining per say, I just wondered if I misunderstood something. :smile:

Glad you enjoyed it too Könchok.
Brunelleschi

Post by Brunelleschi »

GrapeLover wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:48 am

In a thread in the Kagyu forum somebody said
Additionally I think there was going to be a transmission for Phowa practice but it seemed Garchen Rinpoche is under the weather and it is extremely risky to transmit it when you are sick especially when there was a conflict year for him where obstacles will be great.
Ok I see. Then that's sorted out. Thanks. :smile:
n8pee

Post by n8pee »

He taught the very essence of Phowa and said specifically that you can use any sadhana. He did briefly cover the visualization - i.e., one can even visualize the human form of one's guru if one has pure perception of said guru.

Khenpo Samdup from Gar Drolma, the location that hosted these teachings, will be giving instructions on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.
Brunelleschi

Post by Brunelleschi »

n8pee wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:03 pm

He taught the very essence of Phowa and said specifically that you can use any sadhana. He did briefly cover the visualization - i.e., one can even visualize the human form of one's guru if one has pure perception of said guru.

Khenpo Samdup from Gar Drolma, the location that hosted these teachings, will be giving instructions on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.
Yeah, it was great like I said. My point is that Phowa is a specific process.

Thanks, I saw that. That's in the middle of the night for me though.

Anyway, great teaching. :thumbsup:

Return to “Dharma Events”