HHDL The Heart Sutra 2021-01-05 to 2021-01-07

Here we can publicise upcoming dharma events (talks, retreats, webcasts, etc).
kirtu
Former staff member

HHDL The Heart Sutra 2021-01-05 to 2021-01-07

Post by kirtu »

January 5 - 7, 2021

His Holiness the Dalai Lama will give a three-day teaching on The Heart Sutra (sherab nyingpo) on the mornings of January 5, 6 & 7, 2021 from 9 am to 10 am (Indian Standard Time) at the request of Korean Buddhists. He will then field questions from the same group from 10 am to 10.30 am. Those interested may watch the live webcast of the teachings in Tibetan with translation in English, Chinese, Hindi, French, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese, Japanese, Mongolian, Korean, German, Portuguese and Italian on the official websites and Facebook pages of the Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. People are requested to please follow their local social distancing rules while viewing the live webcast.
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Brunelleschi

Re: HHDL The Heart Sutra 2021-01-05 to 2021-01-07

Post by Brunelleschi »

Cool, thanks for sharing.
Budai

Post by Budai »

This is a great reminder that the Dalai Lama is a steward for all Buddhism, although His personal practice and Teachings are Tibetan. He has the heart of Shakyamuni. :heart:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Brahma wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:21 pm This is a great reminder that the Dalai Lama is a steward for all Buddhism, although His personal practice and Teachings are Tibetan. He has the heart of Shakyamuni. :heart:
I don't disagree with you but the Heart Sutra, the Prajñāpāramitāhṛdaya is found in the Tibetan Kagyur (the collection of sutras and tantra), in the Perfection of Wisdom section. There is also a Tibetan Buddhist practice of the Heart Sutra.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Budai

Post by Budai »

kirtu wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:23 am
Brahma wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:21 pm This is a great reminder that the Dalai Lama is a steward for all Buddhism, although His personal practice and Teachings are Tibetan. He has the heart of Shakyamuni. :heart:
I don't disagree with you but the Heart Sutra, the Prajñāpāramitāhṛdaya is found in the Tibetan Kagyur (the collection of sutras and tantra), in the Perfection of Wisdom section. There is also a Tibetan Buddhist practice of the Heart Sutra.

Kirt
Yes thank you for the information. I am glad at all the knowledge I can get on Tibetan Buddhism as I am it's practitioner. I was saying this primarily however because in the message it said He decided to do it based on a request of Korean Buddhists. I'm sure they follow Tibetan Buddhist Metta to a full degree, I am not fully conversant with all of the exact Korean forms of Buddhism, but I know that they are powerfully Loving and so it is nice to see them interacting with the Dalai Lama in this way.
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

kirtu wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:04 pm
January 5 - 7, 2021

His Holiness the Dalai Lama will give a three-day teaching on The Heart Sutra (sherab nyingpo) on the mornings of January 5, 6 & 7, 2021 from 9 am to 10 am (Indian Standard Time) at the request of Korean Buddhists. He will then field questions from the same group from 10 am to 10.30 am. Those interested may watch the live webcast of the teachings in Tibetan with translation in English, Chinese, Hindi, French, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese, Japanese, Mongolian, Korean, German, Portuguese and Italian on the official websites and Facebook pages of the Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. People are requested to please follow their local social distancing rules while viewing the live webcast.
Nice, thanks for posting.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Out of curiosity do you know if His Holiness usually gives a transmission during these events?

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Yes His Holiness normally gives lung while teaching a text, or as on Lama Tsongkhapa day he gave the oral transmission of the Three Principal Aspects of the Path without much commentary.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:59 am Yes His Holiness normally gives lung while teaching a text, or as on Lama Tsongkhapa day he gave the oral transmission of the Three Principal Aspects of the Path without much commentary.
What does it mean to give lung for something that isn't a Sādhanā?
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Hazel wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:37 pm What does it mean to give lung for something that isn't a Sādhanā?
You receive a transmission of the text which has been passed down from either the time it was written or the Buddha if it's a sutra.

I've been told receiving the lung of a text creates the causes to study the text again in the future and also you receive the blessings of the lineage.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

A reminder that HHDL will be beginning his teaching on the Heart Sutra today.

This will begin at 10:30 pm EST (which means HHDL is beginning his teaching at 9 AM 5 January in India).
5:30 PM 4 Jan in Hawaii
7:30 PM 4 Jan in California
3:30 am 5 Jan in London and Lisbon
4:30 am 5 Jan in Western and Central Europe
Live Webcast Teaching January 5 - 7, 2021 His Holiness the Dalai Lama will give a three-day teaching on The Heart Sutra (sherab nyingpo) on the mornings of January 5, 6 & 7, 2021 from 9 am to 10 am (Indian Standard Time) at the request of Korean Buddhists. He will then field questions from the same group from 10 am to 10.30 am. Those interested may watch the live webcast of the teachings in Tibetan with translation in English, Chinese, Hindi, French, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese, Japanese, Mongolian, Korean, German, Portuguese and Italian on the official websites and Facebook pages of the Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. People are requested to please follow their local social distancing rules while viewing the live webcast.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

kirtu wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:43 pm A reminder that HHDL will be beginning his teaching on the Heart Sutra today.

This will begin at 10:30 pm EST (which means HHDL is beginning his teaching at 9 AM 5 January in India).
5:30 PM 4 Jan in Hawaii
7:30 PM 4 Jan in California
3:30 am 5 Jan in London and Lisbon
4:30 am 5 Jan in Western and Central Europe
Live Webcast Teaching January 5 - 7, 2021 His Holiness the Dalai Lama will give a three-day teaching on The Heart Sutra (sherab nyingpo) on the mornings of January 5, 6 & 7, 2021 from 9 am to 10 am (Indian Standard Time) at the request of Korean Buddhists. He will then field questions from the same group from 10 am to 10.30 am. Those interested may watch the live webcast of the teachings in Tibetan with translation in English, Chinese, Hindi, French, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese, Japanese, Mongolian, Korean, German, Portuguese and Italian on the official websites and Facebook pages of the Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. People are requested to please follow their local social distancing rules while viewing the live webcast.
So bloody early. :crying: But I will try.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Looks like a late night for me in New England! At least not as late as Old England.

Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

I am excited.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

I forgot to add the webcast url: https://www.dalailama.com/live

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

So if we watched on all 3 days did we receive the transmission? I want to assume yes since I think I saw him reading the text as he was teaching but it was covered up by the translater's voice... As well as the transmission for the guru yoga he composed??

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Anyone has the prayer which HH used to transmit the bodhisattva vows?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:43 am Anyone has the prayer which HH used to transmit the bodhisattva vows?
I'm really regretting missing tonight. I didn't realize this was happening!!!

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:38 am So if we watched on all 3 days did we receive the transmission? I want to assume yes since I think I saw him reading the text as he was teaching but it was covered up by the translater's voice... As well as the transmission for the guru yoga he composed??

KN
If you watched all three days live then yes you received the transmission for the heart sutra and guru yoga.

Return to “Dharma Events”