Meaning of my Refuge Name -- Direct Translation of the Words

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Budai

Meaning of my Refuge Name -- Direct Translation of the Words

Post by Budai »

I recently took formal Refuge Vows as well as formal Bodhisattva Vows under H.E. Garchen Rinpoche at a distance (for those interested in this Teacher and doing the Same, this can be done here), receiving the Dharma Name Könchok Chödrak Senggé, which Translates to "Lion of the Three Jewels' Renowned Dharma".

I am wondering, can anyone provide me with the direct Translation of the Name's Words? And how it Translates to Lion of the Three Jewels' Renowned Dharma? What are the meanings of the Tibetan Words as indicated? Thanks in advance.

Könchok.

:heart:
Bristollad

Re: Meaning of my Refuge Name -- Direct Translation of the Words

Post by Bristollad »

Konchok
དཀོན་མཆོག་
Hopkins 2015: jewel; supreme rarity

Chodrak
ཆོས་གྲགས་
Chung-An Lin: Dharmakīrtī
Rangjung Yeshe, Dharmakirti. Fame of Dharma

Seng ge
སེང་གེ་
Hopkins 2015: lion

which seems to match the meaning you've already been given. However, note the slightly different "spelling" for Konchok.
Tony Duff notes Chodrak is an abbreviation of chos kyi grags pa, translation of the Sanskrit dharmakirti.

Oh yes, is the numeral 3.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Budai

Post by Budai »

Thank you. That is a very kind response, and helps alot. Thank you! Have a wonderful day.
Last edited by Budai on Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Könchok Chödrak wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:39 pm Thank you. That is a very kind response, and helps alot. Thank you! Have a wonderful day.
One of my favorite teachers (Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche) has a son named Senge (Lion).

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Budai

Post by Budai »

Interesting, I found this:

https://treasuryoflives.org/biographies ... rakpa/4080

Maybe I have some Dharmic connection with this fellow, from that past life. :twothumbsup:

:yinyang:

:namaste:

Om.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Kunchok Sum ཀུན་མཆོག་གསུམ་ means The Three Jewels. So Kunchok would be something like Buddha. Sometimes the Tibetan word for God in other religions would be Kunchok.

"Rinchen" or "Rinpoche" also translates as "Jewel" (skt. Ratna). The Three Jewels would be (skt. Triratna).

Literally...
Kun means "All"
Chok means "The highest, most supreme, most excellent, best, etc..."

It's a very common name!
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:49 pm Kunchok Sum ཀུན་མཆོག་གསུམ་ means The Three Jewels. So Kunchok would be something like Buddha. Sometimes the Tibetan word for God in other religions would be Kunchok.

"Rinchen" or "Rinpoche" also translates as "Jewel" (skt. Ratna). The Three Jewels would be (skt. Triratna).

Literally...
Kun means "All"

It's a very common name!
According to my dictionaries, Kunchok and Konchok are not quite the same - kun ཀུན means all as you said whereas kon དཀོན means rare or rarity.

Konchok is used when describing the Three Jewels e.g. དཀོན་མཆོག་གསུམ་ which literally means [rarity-supreme-three]

ཀུན་མཆོག་ is an abbreviation of ཀུན་ཏུ་མཆོག་ is which Tibetan for the Sanskrit śiṣṭaḥ which can mean something like wise counsellor.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Tony Duff explains:

དཀོན་མཆོག་ dkon mchog

<noun> "Jewel". 1) Translation of the Sanskrit "ratna" used when referring to the places of Buddhist refuge: the Buddha, Dharma, Saṅgha.
The Sanskrit term "ratna" has many usages within its general meaning of "rich, precious, valuable", one of them is "jewel" or other "precious stone / substance". The Buddha himself used it to refer to the three places of Buddhist refuge with the simple and basic sense of "jewel". This simple, spoken sense then became highly commented on by later learned ones of the tradition and ten shades of meaning are traditionally described for its use when naming the Buddhist places of refuge. For example, a jewel is precious, rare, valuable, has many excellences, and so on. These meanings and how they relate to the places of Buddhist refuge are clearly laid out in the great Indian texts of the Buddhist tradition e.g., in the མངོན་རྟོགས་རྒྱན་ Abhisamayālaṅkāra, and in Tibetan texts following them.
Because the term ratna has a specific meaning in this context, the original Tibetan translators working in conjunction with the Indians chose not to translate this usage of "ratna" with the usual "རིན་ཆེན་" [rinchen]. Instead they used དཀོན་ཅོག་ which was later changed to དཀོན་མཆོག་ at the time of the སྐད་གསར་བཅད་ first language revision. Both forms are correct; one conforms to the old orthography and one to the new.
The Tibetan lit. means something which is a དཀོན་པ་ "rarity" and which is མཆོག་ "excellent". Because of this the Tibetan has been translated into English completely literally with the "rare supreme ones", "the precious supremes", "the precious jewels"; "the rare and sublime ones", and other similar phrases.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Bristollad wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 am
SilenceMonkey wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:49 pm Kunchok Sum ཀུན་མཆོག་གསུམ་ means The Three Jewels. So Kunchok would be something like Buddha. Sometimes the Tibetan word for God in other religions would be Kunchok.

Literally...
Kun means "All"

It's a very common name!
According to my dictionaries, Kunchok and Konchok are not quite the same - kun ཀུན means all as you said whereas kon དཀོན means rare or rarity.

Konchok is used when describing the Three Jewels e.g. དཀོན་མཆོག་གསུམ་ which literally means [rarity-supreme-three]

ཀུན་མཆོག་ is an abbreviation of ཀུན་ཏུ་མཆོག་ is which Tibetan for the Sanskrit śiṣṭaḥ which can mean something like wise counsellor.
Right, that's true. Thank you, my mistake.

Return to “Language”