Phonetics of Seven Line prayer

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Mnbair

Phonetics of Seven Line prayer

Post by Mnbair »

Hi all, hope you're doing well.

Would like to know if someone has a recording, would be able to show me or write out the phonetics of each word in the Seven Line prayer?

I would greatly appreciate the help 🙏🏻
Archie2009

Re: Phonetics of Seven Line prayer

Post by Archie2009 »

There must be shorter examples out there, but from last year's Guru Rinpoche empowerment. You'll have to do a bit of searching through the video. See here: https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 41#p545141
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

There are many available videos and transliterations online. I learned a nice melody from a local Nyingma center.

Here are a couple:

Transliteration:
http://acalavidyaraja.blogspot.com/2013 ... rayer.html

Transliteration with Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jczsIm7hRvk
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Here is a useful PDF from a link found on Lama Tharchin Rinpoche's Heart Teachings website:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1025/ ... 5359127744

The link is from here under Seven Line Prayer: https://www.heartteachings.com/pages/resources
Natan

Post by Natan »

What's wrong with English?

There was a poetic translation in White Lotus

It's perfect. That's the one I say.
Mnbair

Post by Mnbair »

Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:03 pm What's wrong with English?

There is nothing wrong with English, it's something I would like to learn how to recite in Tibetan/Sanskrit.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Mnbair wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:09 pm

There is nothing wrong with English, it's something I would like to learn how to recite in Tibetan/Sanskrit.
Cool
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:47 pm

Cool
I do think it is worth while. My own teacher who is usually all about English English English (because you understand what you are reciting then!) recommends reciting the 7 Line Prayer in Tibetan (although he said you can also do English along with that). But YMMV probably depends on what your teacher says

Also to OP, I would recommend finding 7 Line Prayer on You Tube and singing along. That is how I learned, melody really helps. Keep in mind that many consonants at the ends of syllables are often not pronounced in Tibetan. And tr and dr are usually one sound (like a T or D but with the tongue curled back, kind of like chinese CH and ZH or Indian retroflex consonants). Also there are contrasts between aspirated and unaspirated (t versus th, tr versus thr etc.....) but these are usually not marked very consistently, in transliteration... and for practitioners purposes it probably is not too big of a deal to be a perfectionist about that

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Natan

Post by Natan »

karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:43 am
Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:47 pm

Cool
I do think it is worth while. My own teacher who is usually all about English English English (because you understand what you are reciting then!) recommends reciting the 7 Line Prayer in Tibetan (although he said you can also do English along with that). But YMMV probably depends on what your teacher says

Also to OP, I would recommend finding 7 Line Prayer on You Tube and singing along. That is how I learned, melody really helps. Keep in mind that many consonants at the ends of syllables are often not pronounced in Tibetan. And tr and dr are usually one sound (like a T or D but with the tongue curled back, kind of like chinese CH and ZH or Indian retroflex consonants). Also there are contrasts between aspirated and unaspirated (t versus th, tr versus thr etc.....) but these are usually not marked very consistently, in transliteration... and for practitioners purposes it probably is not too big of a deal to be a perfectionist about that

KN
IMHO it is best to memorize. When alone in a dark corner of earth helpless and poor one only has one's mind. And the blessing either comes or not. But one will know. I put a high value on this one.
Last edited by Natan on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

17th Karmapa recites GR 7 Line Prayer

Blessings will always follow from recitation of the Seven Line Prayer
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Language”