Tibetan Translation Help

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
ThreeVows

Tibetan Translation Help

Post by ThreeVows »

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me with a word-by-word translation for a six line prayer in Tibetan. I know a good deal of the words, it's just pieces here and there that I'm trying to figure out. Ideally just a couple of PMs would do it. Thanks for consideration.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Malcolm

Re: Tibetan Translation Help

Post by Malcolm »

Seeker12 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:30 pm Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me with a word-by-word translation for a six line prayer in Tibetan. I know a good deal of the words, it's just pieces here and there that I'm trying to figure out. Ideally just a couple of PMs would do it. Thanks for consideration.
post it
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:53 pm
Seeker12 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:30 pm Hello,

post it
It's just the six vajra verses by Chogyur Lingpa. I have a good sense of most of the Tibetan words but some of them I'm not so sure of, and I'd like to kind of know word-by-word what I'm saying as I go through it.

___

དུས་གསུམ་སངས་རྒྱས་གུ་རུ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ༔
dü sum sangye guru rinpoche
Embodiment of buddhas of past, present and future, Guru Rinpoche;

དངོས་གྲུབ་ཀུན་བདག་བདེ་བ་ཆེན་པོའི་ཞབས༔
ngödrub kün dak dewa chenpö shyab
Master of all siddhis, Guru of Great Bliss;

བར་ཆད་ཀུན་སེལ་བདུད་འདུལ་དྲག་པོ་རྩལ༔
barché kün sel düdul drakpo tsal
Dispeller of all obstacles, Wrathful Subjugator of Māras;

གསོལ་བ་འདེབས་སོ་བྱིན་གྱིས་བརླབ་ཏུ་གསོལ༔
solwa deb so jingyi lab tu sol
To you I pray: inspire me with your blessing,

ཕྱི་ནང་གསང་བའི་བར་ཆད་ཞི་བ་དང༌༔
chi nang sangwé barché shyiwa dang
So that outer, inner and secret obstacles are dispelled

བསམ་པ་ལྷུན་གྱིས་འགྲུབ་པར་བྱིན་གྱིས་རློབས༔
sampa lhün gyi drubpar jingyi lob
And all my aspirations are spontaneously fulfilled.

___

As far as I know, sum is like 'universal' or something so related to all buddhas, sangye 'buddhas', guru rinpoche obvious, I assume then du relates to embodiment or something but I'm not sure.

ngodrub is siddhis, kun is 'all', dewa related to bliss, chenpo related to 'great'. I'm not sure about dak and shyab.

barche I think is obstacles, kun as above, sel I assume is related to dispel, dudul I'm not sure the exact translation, drakpo tsal the form of guru rinpoche.

I don't really know the 4th line word by word. I don't really know the 5th line either except for barche.

For the sixth line I think lhun relates to spontaneous but otherwise I don't know each word.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

times three buddha guru precious

siddhi all master bliss great feet

obstacles all remove māra tamer fierce powerful

supplicate request give blessing please

outer inner secret obstacles pacify

wishes effortlessly accomplish give blessing
Last edited by Malcolm on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Have you seen this dictionary? I love it partly because it will automatically bring up longer words that start the same. This is useful for when a word is composed of multiple other words.

https://dictionary.christian-steinert.de/#home
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:59 pm

three times buddha guru precious

siddhi all master bliss great feet

obstacles all remove māra tamer fierce powerful

supplicate request give blessing please

outer inner secret obstacles pacify

wishes effortlessly accomplish give blessing
Thank you!
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Hazel wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:00 pm Have you seen this dictionary? I love it partly because it will automatically bring up longer words that start the same. This is useful for when a word is composed of multiple other words.

https://dictionary.christian-steinert.de/#home
Thanks!
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:59 pm siddhi all master bliss great feet
How does feet fit in here? On lotsawahouse it's translated as "Master of all siddhis, Guru of Great Bliss", is it something about like sitting at the lotus feet of the guru or something?
heart

Post by heart »

Seeker12 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:03 pm
How does feet fit in here? On lotsawahouse it's translated as "Master of all siddhis, Guru of Great Bliss", is it something about like sitting at the lotus feet of the guru or something?
Read Dudjom Rinpoches commentary: https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... ned-vision

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

heart wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:14 pm
Read Dudjom Rinpoches commentary: https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... ned-vision

/magnus
Thank you! Didn't know this existed!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

zhabs is pāda, it is an honorific, mahasukhapāda, bde ba chen po'i zhabs, it is a title of the Guru Rinpoche.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

How does feet fit in here?

Return to “Language”