Best book for learning Tibetan

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
SilenceMonkey

Best book for learning Tibetan

Post by SilenceMonkey »

An incredible language teacher who revolutionised Tibetan language learning wrote a 4 volume book, which I studied in Dharamsala at the Lotsawa school. I did a lot of looking around and there aren't any good books for learning tibetan language besides the one they use at Rangjung Yeshe, Manual of Standard Tibetan. But this one is better.

Here is a free download link from the Tibetan Library in Dharamsala. If you really want to learn, send me a PM and I can help you find the other 3 volumes, which won't be published for a long time.

https://tibetanlibrary.org/heart-of-tibetan-language/

The emphasis in the four volumes of this book is colloquial tibetan. The idea is that once you learn colloquial tibetan sufficiently, it will be easy to transition to Dharma tibetan by working with a tutor, perhaps a geshe or khenpo. Tutors in India are often $5 USD or less per hour via skype.
yagmort

Re: Best book for learning Tibetan

Post by yagmort »

they removed free download link.
also i've been told volume 2 will be out pretty soon.
stay open, spread love
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
windoverwater

Post by windoverwater »

I have begun studying Tibetan again, after a lapse of many years. I agree that Franziska Oertle's book "Heart of Tibetan" is really excellent; my understanding of many basic concepts is enhanced through her presentation. Also, the spoken drills for the lessons, available via Google Drive, are especially helpful because the speakers enunciate extremely clearly, and slowly. The one complaint I have is the lack of any kind of index, which makes it hard to go back and find that important point I read previously!

I am also using the Tournadre book alongside Franziska's, and it is a useful companion. I find Tournadre's grammatical analysis difficult to comprehend, but the Tibetan sentences written to illustrate the point usually make the issue clear. And when I want to look up how to construct a more complicated phrase, the index and glossary in Tournadre's book make it easier to find the relevant explanatory section. Using the recorded drills for the Tournadre book also helps me test the comprehension I gained from the much slower vocal drills for Franziska's textbook.
:reading:
Also very important to me are my twice-weekly Zoom lessons in spoken Tibetan with an Esukhia instructor. I wasn't sure I was ready for a Tibetan-only (well, 99% Tibetan) class, but I decided to give it a try. I can comprehend enough to make it workable, and my speaking ability is improving. I really need to HEAR the language, as well as study its construction. And the connection with a real human being is especially motivating. I do not put off doing my homework! :reading:
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Not too long ago, volume 2 was published. Looks like the ebook is not yet on google play.

http://franziska.in/

https://dharmapublishing.com/products/t ... s=e&_v=1.0

Return to “Language”