help enriching availabilities

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
weitsicht

help enriching availabilities

Post by weitsicht »

Dear Dharma friends,

times are crazy and some amongst you may find themselves in quarantine or other kind of additional free time.
By this post I would like to encourage those amongst you whose mother tongue is not English to use this time to translate the practise texts that are closest to your heart from English into your language. You can submit these results to Lotsawa House for example.

I am confident that some merit will arise from this. :twothumbsup: But of course I cannot guarantee for such publication to happen, too little I know about LH's procedures. :thanks:
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
GDPR_Anonymized001

Re: help enriching availabilities

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

I've often wondered how this works. How does one get permission to translate the text? Copyright etc.? Do you know the process? I would be very interested in learning about it!
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

I you're translating an LH text, it's easiest, because that implies that LH has the Copyright or an Arrangement thereof already.

However, the mere effort to indulge in the translating process already can be a useful means to put your mind on a dharma path.
Without wanting to get romantic, but Translation brings you in into some intimacy with the text and its author -I dare to say. Beyond the mere effect repetitions of reciting has.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I've translated some Pure Land works (including the Shorter Sutra) into Esperanto. It's unfortunately all on a corporate site for now, and I haven't translated anything new in a while.
This thread may inspire me :smile:

There are some Esperanto resources about Buddhism available, but not many books and next to nothing about Pure Land Buddhism. I also translated the Wikipedia article, which wasn't available. Likewise, the article on Amitabha remains modest. It can take so long to translate anything technical.

There are also the interesting technical challenges of translating terms that haven't been coined yet. And with Sanskrit terms, whether to translate or transliterate or leave them as is.

For those wondering why Esperanto?
I started learning it out of linguistic curiosity as a teen about 20 years ago.
Since then, I've found that Esperantists (people willing to learn a handshake language) were diverse in religious/philosophical background, and often interested in others' differences, rather than offended by them.
Seems like a promising swath of people to find the Dharma :thumbsup:
weitsich wrote:Without wanting to get romantic, but Translation brings you in into some intimacy with the text and its author -I dare to say. Beyond the mere effect repetitions of reciting has.
:good:
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Language”