Tibetan: chos and gcod - homophones?

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Post Reply
karmanyingpo
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:19 pm

Tibetan: chos and gcod - homophones?

Post by karmanyingpo »

I was wondering if chos (choe - Dharma) and gcod (chod or choed - Severance practice) were homophones in Tibetan.

KN
Malcolm
Posts: 33428
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Tibetan: chos and gcod - homophones?

Post by Malcolm »

karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:45 am I was wondering if chos (choe - Dharma) and gcod (chod or choed - Severance practice) were homophones in Tibetan.

KN
No, not to Tibetans.
"Nonduality is merely a name;
that name does not exist."
—Kotalipa
karmanyingpo
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:19 pm

Re: Tibetan: chos and gcod - homophones?

Post by karmanyingpo »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:13 am
karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:45 am I was wondering if chos (choe - Dharma) and gcod (chod or choed - Severance practice) were homophones in Tibetan.

KN
No, not to Tibetans.
How are they pronounced differently by native speakers? I have heard that many final consonants in Tibetan are not pronounced or cause lengthening of the vowel.

KN
Malcolm
Posts: 33428
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Tibetan: chos and gcod - homophones?

Post by Malcolm »

karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:49 am
Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:13 am
karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:45 am I was wondering if chos (choe - Dharma) and gcod (chod or choed - Severance practice) were homophones in Tibetan.

KN
No, not to Tibetans.
How are they pronounced differently by native speakers? I have heard that many final consonants in Tibetan are not pronounced or cause lengthening of the vowel.

KN
Gcod is higher and sharper than Chos.
"Nonduality is merely a name;
that name does not exist."
—Kotalipa
karmanyingpo
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:19 pm

Re: Tibetan: chos and gcod - homophones?

Post by karmanyingpo »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:55 am
karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:49 am
Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:13 am

No, not to Tibetans.
How are they pronounced differently by native speakers? I have heard that many final consonants in Tibetan are not pronounced or cause lengthening of the vowel.

KN
Gcod is higher and sharper than Chos.
So it is a minimal pair differentiated by tone? Are the "ch" sounds both aspirated?

KN
Malcolm
Posts: 33428
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Tibetan: chos and gcod - homophones?

Post by Malcolm »

karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:56 am
Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:55 am
karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:49 am

How are they pronounced differently by native speakers? I have heard that many final consonants in Tibetan are not pronounced or cause lengthening of the vowel.

KN
Gcod is higher and sharper than Chos.
So it is a minimal pair differentiated by tone? Are the "ch" sounds both aspirated?

KN
No, the first is not aspirated
"Nonduality is merely a name;
that name does not exist."
—Kotalipa
karmanyingpo
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:19 pm

Re: Tibetan: chos and gcod - homophones?

Post by karmanyingpo »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:29 am
karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:56 am
Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:55 am

Gcod is higher and sharper than Chos.
So it is a minimal pair differentiated by tone? Are the "ch" sounds both aspirated?

KN
No, the first is not aspirated
Thanks for explaining

KN
Post Reply

Return to “Language”