Vegan retreat center in USA

Help required with personal difficulties.
Nicholas2727

Vegan retreat center in USA

Post by Nicholas2727 »

Hi,

I am unsure if this is the proper area to post this question, but I am wondering if anyone knows of any centers/monasteries that are having retreats and are able to provide vegan food. I know that the plum village schools serve only vegan food, although I have not been able to find any other options. I am very interested in attending a retreat although before I attend one at Magnolia Grove Monastery (Plum village tradition) I wanted to see any other options!

Thank you :twothumbsup:
justsit

Re: Vegan retreat center in USA

Post by justsit »

Karma Triyana Dharmachakra (KTD) center in Woodstock, NY offers only vegetarian meals with vegan options.
Check the website; scroll down to "How to Visit" and look under "Accomodations" and "Before You Come" for more info. https://kagyu.org/

ETA What type of retreat are you looking for? A weekend, week, month, residential? A teaching retreat or a personal retreat? There are likely some other vegan centers, but not all offer all types of retreats. More info might help narrow down the search.
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

justsit wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:26 am Karma Triyana Dharmachakra (KTD) center in Woodstock, NY offers only vegetarian meals with vegan options.
Check the website; scroll down to "How to Visit" and look under "Accomodations" and "Before You Come" for more info. https://kagyu.org/

ETA What type of retreat are you looking for? A weekend, week, month, residential? A teaching retreat or a personal retreat? There are likely some other vegan centers, but not all offer all types of retreats. More info might help narrow down the search.
Thank you for your response. To specify more, I am looking for a couple days retreat, could be a weekend or a week or anything in between. I am mostly looking to experience how life is in a monastery/center setting. Would like to spend time meditating, learning and spending some time with the monks. So far as I mentioned the only retreat I have looked at is at magnolia Grove and they offer both personal retreats and group retreats. Both interest me, so something similar to those would be great.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Do you have a specific tradition you'd like to do the retreat at? (Vajrayana, Mahayana, Zen, Theravada)

Also do you have a preference for region of the country (world)?

Spirit Rock and IMS (vipassana/theravada) have vegetarian meals. Typically it's cafeteria or buffet style, so you go and choose the foods you want and you could choose the vegan ones. I think most Chinese / Chan monasteries are vegan. They are vegetarian, but typically don't serve dairy, so almost everything is vegan.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Kwan Um zen retreats accommodate vegans just fine. Although, retreats don't exactly capture normal everyday life at the monastery. They are special intensive training periods that differ from normal everyday stuff.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

DNS wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:33 am Do you have a specific tradition you'd like to do the retreat at? (Vajrayana, Mahayana, Zen, Theravada)

Also do you have a preference for region of the country (world)?

Spirit Rock and IMS (vipassana/theravada) have vegetarian meals. Typically it's cafeteria or buffet style, so you go and choose the foods you want and you could choose the vegan ones. I think most Chinese / Chan monasteries are vegan. They are vegetarian, but typically don't serve dairy, so almost everything is vegan.
Do not have a specific tradition although I would prefer Mahayana or Vajrayana. Would definitely go to a Theravada or Zen retreat tho if it looked interesting to me. Would prefer somewhere in the United States, near the midwest is best. Thank you for the suggestion
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

Does anyone happen to know if the city of ten thousand Buddha's is vegan? It says Vegetarian, although the restaurant there also says Vegetarian but is actually vegan. If anyone has any information that would be great!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Nicholas2727 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:02 am Does anyone happen to know if the city of ten thousand Buddha's is vegan? It says Vegetarian, although the restaurant there also says Vegetarian but is actually vegan. If anyone has any information that would be great!
I believe it is vegan. When I visited there, all the food was vegan. They call it vegetarian without eggs, but I didn't see any dairy either. Traditionally Chinese food doesn't include dairy. I found this online and it appears to be all vegan:
The City of 10,000 Buddhas' Jyun Kang Vegetarian Restaurant provides natural and healthy vegetarian dishes that taste delicious without MSG, onions, garlic, scallions, leeks, shallots, or eggs.
http://www.cttbusa.org/jyunkang/all.asp

Return to “Help Required”