Great intro books on Other-Emptiness?

Dharmaswede

Great intro books on Other-Emptiness?

Post by Dharmaswede »

Any suggestions?
Nicholas2727

Re: Great intro books on Other-Emptiness?

Post by Nicholas2727 »

The Great Middle Way by Khentrul Rinpoche
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

I have read bits of The Essence of Other-Emptiness by Jetsun Taranatha trans. Jeffery Hopkins.
It has been many years and my interests focused elsewhere, but I would think that this would be
authoritative.

Shaun :namaste:
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

zerwe wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:16 pm I have read bits of The Essence of Other-Emptiness by Jetsun Taranatha trans. Jeffery Hopkins.
It has been many years and my interests focused elsewhere, but I would think that this would be
authoritative.

This is a great book as well, although it may be difficult for someone looking for an intro into other emptiness. If you have a good foundation of Buddhist studies and Madhyamaka, The Essence of Other Emptiness is a great book.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

It might be worthwhile to check with Ven. Tashi Nyima at
https://greatmiddleway.wordpress.com
There also is a Jonang center in the Atlanta area.

Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

There’s also one in Brooklyn, NY. I believe it has a resident khenpo.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

My favorite:

Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness by Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche

https://www.namsebangdzo.com/Progressiv ... p/5774.htm

Also, Rangtong & Shentong Views: A Brief Explanation of the One Taste of the Second and Third Turnings of the Wheel of Dharma by the Khenpo Rinpoches.

https://www.padmasambhava.org/chiso/boo ... one-taste/
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Prajñāpāramitā, Indian "gzhan stong pas", and the Beginning of Tibetan gzhan stong, by Karl Brunhölzl, 2011.

Opening the Wisdom Door of the Ranting and Shetong Views, Khenchen Palden Shetab Rinpoche and Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche, 2007.

The Buddha Within; Tathagatagarbha Doctrine According to the Shentong Interpretation of the Ratnsgotravibhaga, S.K. Hookham, 1991.

A Juggernaut of the Non-Dual View; Ultimate Teachings of the Second Drukchen Gyalwang Je, Tony Duff, 2011

Instructions for Practicing the View of Other Emptiness; a Text of Oral Instructions by Jamgon Kongtrul, Tony Duff, 2011

The Lion's Roar that Proclaims Chanting, by Ju Mipham Namgyal, Tony Duff, 2010

Maitripa's Writings on the View; the Main Indian Source of the Tibetan Views if Other Emptiness and Mahamudra, Tony Duff, 2010.

The Theory and Practice of Other Emptiness Taught Through Milarepa's Songs, Tony Duff, 2011.
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

Oh, wow. Thanks everyone. We are close to a very concise Shentong bibliography here!

Deep appreciation.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Dorje Shedrub wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:27 pm Prajñāpāramitā, Indian "gzhan stong pas", and the Beginning of Tibetan gzhan stong, by Karl Brunhölzl, 2011.

Opening the Wisdom Door of the Ranting and Shetong Views, Khenchen Palden Shetab Rinpoche and Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche, 2007.

The Buddha Within; Tathagatagarbha Doctrine According to the Shentong Interpretation of the Ratnsgotravibhaga, S.K. Hookham, 1991.

A Juggernaut of the Non-Dual View; Ultimate Teachings of the Second Drukchen Gyalwang Je, Tony Duff, 2011

Instructions for Practicing the View of Other Emptiness; a Text of Oral Instructions by Jamgon Kongtrul, Tony Duff, 2011

The Lion's Roar that Proclaims Chanting, by Ju Mipham Namgyal, Tony Duff, 2010

Maitripa's Writings on the View; the Main Indian Source of the Tibetan Views if Other Emptiness and Mahamudra, Tony Duff, 2010.

The Theory and Practice of Other Emptiness Taught Through Milarepa's Songs, Tony Duff, 2011.
Dolpopa was the one to say “the Emperor has no clothes” and laid out Other Emptiness as a view.

The Indian authors cited by Brunnhölzl, plus Milarepa’s Songs cited by Duff, and Maitripa also cited by Duff, all predate Dolpopa. So they have been retroactively named as Shentongpas. Don’t expect the term “Other Emptiness” to be found in their writings—although arguably the idea is there. They just couldn’t bring themselves to say the Emperor is naked.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:31 pm The Indian authors cited by Brunnhölzl, plus Milarepa’s Songs cited by Duff, and Maitripa also cited by Duff, all predate Dolpopa. So they have been retroactively named as Shentongpas. Don’t expect the term “Other Emptiness” to be found in their writings—although arguably the idea is there. They just couldn’t bring themselves to say the Emperor is naked.
Thank you, this is just incredibly helpful. I have just started reading on the topic and this question spontaneously arose although I wasn't able to formulate it clearly. Greatly appreciated.

Return to “Jonang”