Bon mudra differences

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
karmanyingpo

Bon mudra differences

Post by karmanyingpo »

Are any Bon mudras different from TB ones? The mandala one seems to be the same. However I have not seen finger snapping after mudras in TB, only in Bon so is that Bon specific?

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Bon mudra differences

Post by Ayu »

Strange, that you never saw finger snapping in TB.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Ayu wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 am Strange, that you never saw finger snapping in TB.
I have not been exposed to many sanghas. My main teacher does not emphasize mudras and outer form . So I guess the snapping is not very Bon specific at all actually

KN
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Mudras differ amongst all lineages. Often specific to a monastery's own tradition, actually...though some monasteries will maintain more than one system of mudras, related to different terma cycles, etc. Same with liturgical melodies, liturgical music, torma making, etc.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

conebeckham wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:04 pm Mudras differ amongst all lineages. Often specific to a monastery's own tradition, actually...though some monasteries will maintain more than one system of mudras, related to different terma cycles, etc. Same with liturgical melodies, liturgical music, torma making, etc.
Thanks for explaining.

KN

Return to “Bön”