Some observations about trends and differences?

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
karmanyingpo

Some observations about trends and differences?

Post by karmanyingpo »

Hello all
I think I have noticed that Bon seems more standardized then some traditions of Tibetan Buddhism. I assume this is because of how the teachings were saved, and consolidated by the great Yongdzin Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche, who is the leader or senior teacher of Bon?
So I assume if I were to ask a Bon lama a question about a practice the answer, is more likely to be a bit more standardized, compared to asking a Buddhist lama about a question where he may have a different version of the practice etc.
Or is this inaccurate? My experience is limited so I just want to know if initial impressions are correct thanks! Sorry if this is totally wrong I do not mean to cause offense and just want to learn if my limited observation is correct or wrong

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
tingdzin

Re: Some observations about trends and differences?

Post by tingdzin »

If you were to ask any of the lamas associated with the Yungdrung Bon of Yongdzin Rinpoche, the answers might well be fairly standard, because he has been incredibly influential and valuable to modern Bon. If you were to go to some isolated gorge in Khams and question a Bonpo who was not in contact with his influence, you might get very different answers.

So your intuition is probably pretty valid for most Bonpos you are likely to encounter, I would guess. Still, one does hear rumors of mavericks here and there.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

tingdzin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:13 am If you were to ask any of the lamas associated with the Yungdrung Bon of Yongdzin Rinpoche, the answers might well be fairly standard, because he has been incredibly influential and valuable to modern Bon. If you were to go to some isolated gorge in Khams and question a Bonpo who was not in contact with his influence, you might get very different answers.

So your intuition is probably pretty valid for most Bonpos you are likely to encounter, I would guess. Still, one does hear rumors of mavericks here and there.
Interesting. I have ordered the book Opening the Door to Bon so I am still building up my background knowledge on Bon but are there still non Yungdrung lineages of Bon out there?

Thanks

KN
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

I don't know about lineages, but there are people calling themselves Bonpo in Tibet who have little connection with Yungdrung Bon as it is known outside Tibet. There are also followers of what is called New Bon, which combines traditional Bon practices with those of the Nyingmapa. There are also people on the Chinese border who trace their religion back to Tonpa Shenrab, but who practice deity possession and sacrifices.

I think the book you mention is just a guide to Bonpo ngondro. If you want a good thorough introduction, look for stuff by Samten Karmay or Per Kvaerne on the Net.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

You might enjoy this blog: https://ravencypresswood.com It seems like a good source on bön.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

tingdzin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:17 pm I don't know about lineages, but there are people calling themselves Bonpo in Tibet who have little connection with Yungdrung Bon as it is known outside Tibet. There are also followers of what is called New Bon, which combines traditional Bon practices with those of the Nyingmapa. There are also people on the Chinese border who trace their religion back to Tonpa Shenrab, but who practice deity possession and sacrifices.

I think the book you mention is just a guide to Bonpo ngondro. If you want a good thorough introduction, look for stuff by Samten Karmay or Per Kvaerne on the Net.
Oh thank you for clearing that up. It was recommended to me as a beginner but the context of that conversation was a lot about ngondro so that makes sense. Thanks for the suggestions I will need to look that up.

KN
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:22 pm You might enjoy this blog: https://ravencypresswood.com It seems like a good source on bön.
Yes thx Konchok that looks good I did see that blog, on another site where someone linked it......

KN
Yungdrung Gyalpo

Post by Yungdrung Gyalpo »

I long ago studied a little bit with a Bön Geshe in Sarnath, I think that his name was Gorik Geshe Tendzin Chokden, if I am not mistaken. His point of view, that he would advocate for quite vehemently, was extremely close to that of the Gelugpas and totally contradictory to the Dzogchen view as taught by Yongdzin Rinpoche and those he trained, especially on this issue – whether the ultimate nature (whatever you call it) possesses intrinsically a self-knowing cognitive aspect? He would say absolutely no, exactly as the Gelugpas would have it – while Yongdzin Rinpoche and those he trained might possibly say no in some given contexts of sutra-level views, but would clearly regard those doctrines as provisional and reject them in the context of Dzogchen.

Return to “Bön”