Energetics of Thought

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
underthetree

Energetics of Thought

Post by underthetree »

Something I've found, both in meditation and in everday life is that, when a thought arises and I look at it and let it dissolve, I always experience a physical sensation, either in the area of my heart, my solar plexus or occasionally roughly in my sinuses. The same applies for emotion. This is a sort of faint physical tremor or thrill accompanied by a sensation which is neither pleasant or unpleasant. From my limited understanding of Tibetan esoteric physiology I'm guessing that this is a function or manifestation of lung, but I'd like to know more.
Jeff

Re: Energetics of Thought

Post by Jeff »

Great point and question. Try to trace it back and find the point where the energy is "created/introduced" at the prethought. That will help with the answer to your question.

:smile:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

underthetree wrote:Something I've found, both in meditation and in everday life is that, when a thought arises and I look at it and let it dissolve, I always experience a physical sensation, either in the area of my heart, my solar plexus or occasionally roughly in my sinuses. The same applies for emotion. This is a sort of faint physical tremor or thrill accompanied by a sensation which is neither pleasant or unpleasant. From my limited understanding of Tibetan esoteric physiology I'm guessing that this is a function or manifestation of lung, but I'd like to know more.

Thoughts are rlung. When your lung does not move, thoughts do not arise.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Malcolm wrote:
underthetree wrote:Something I've found, both in meditation and in everday life is that, when a thought arises and I look at it and let it dissolve, I always experience a physical sensation, either in the area of my heart, my solar plexus or occasionally roughly in my sinuses. The same applies for emotion. This is a sort of faint physical tremor or thrill accompanied by a sensation which is neither pleasant or unpleasant. From my limited understanding of Tibetan esoteric physiology I'm guessing that this is a function or manifestation of lung, but I'd like to know more.

That's what I'm talking about.

Kevin
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

Thoughts are rlung and rlung is?
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

Thank you, Malcolm.

So why does the sensation arise at the dissolving of the thought?
Interesting. So why does lung seem to move during shamatha? Or is that some other part of the subtle anatomy?
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

-Energeia- is probably the Christian term used to describe the energy of a positive spirit

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”