Practicing celibacy as a layperson?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
bodhiye

Re: Practicing celibacy as a layperson?

Post by bodhiye »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:44 am You need to interrupt the pattern. When you find yourself slipping into the habit, get out of bed. Get out of the room. Splash some water on your face. Something to interrupt the flow of emotion.

Leave your house and go for a walk.

Cold turkey can always be rough on the system, whatever your craving. Meditation will lessen the sexual energy... transmute it into love, peace and wisdom.

You are right about eating vegetarian. It's a practice that lessens our desire.

Celibacy can too... but we have to choose to be celibate.

And soon enough, the desire for women will be no more.

Celibacy is a powerful practice. It needs to be done with meditation, which helps to process the emotion....
I'm putting effort in this direction.
Thanks for the advice.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:22 am
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:08 am If lay persons were meant to practice celibacy, they wouldn’t be called “lay” persons.
One doesn't need robes to practice celibacy. Nor does one have to live in a monastery.
What I mean is, if you are a monastic, you aren’t trying to get laid. So, you aren’t a “lay person”.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
SkyFox

Post by SkyFox »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:36 am
SilenceMonkey wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:22 am
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:08 am If lay persons were meant to practice celibacy, they wouldn’t be called “lay” persons.
One doesn't need robes to practice celibacy. Nor does one have to live in a monastery.
What I mean is, if you are a monastic, you aren’t trying to get laid. So, you aren’t a “lay person”.

Oh god, this gave me a good chuckle. Both the fact that you were trying to make a joke plus the fact that he didn't get it and you had to explain yourself.
:rolling:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”