Break connection to non-Buddhist paths

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
zengen

Break connection to non-Buddhist paths

Post by zengen »

Before I became a Buddhist I had explored various non-Buddhist paths. I had read the texts of these paths and had attended their places of gathering. I suppose I had created karmic connections with these paths in this life. Because of this connection, I may become a follower of these paths in my future lives. I don't want this to happen. I want to stay on the Buddhist path life after life. How do I break the connection? Would repeating refuge prayers work? What if I generate regret?
There is no meaning to cyclic existence.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Break connection to non-Buddhist paths

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

If you practice properly, everything becomes part of the Dharma path. You can learn from Jesus or the Vedas, or Ben Franklin, Confucius, Pee Wee Herman, even Donald Trump.
If you have taken refuge, then you are a Buddhist, and you just pour everything into that.
Then, even if you become a catholic priest in your next life, your actions will benefit the Dharma or may even cause others to turn to the dharma.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Refuge is in your heart... If you feel Jesus will come and save you when you’re in a really scary situation, then your refuge is in Jesus Christ.

It’s about where our minds go when we’re unstable. I think most of us take refuge in mundane comforts most of the time because that’s often where our minds go when we’re suffering... When we’re on our death beds, will Jesus be the one to take us to our next life? Or will it be Buddha and Buddhadharma?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:18 am Refuge is in your heart... If you feel Jesus will come and save you when you’re in a really scary situation, then your refuge is in Jesus Christ.

It’s about where our minds go when we’re unstable. I think most of us take refuge in mundane comforts most of the time because that’s often where our minds go when we’re suffering... When we’re on our death beds, will Jesus be the one to take us to our next life? Or will it be Buddha and Buddhadharma?
The “Moment of Truth” they call it.
EMPTIFUL.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Bodhisattva vows are eternally binding.

This can be viewed as a duty or even a burden. But it can also be viewed as an abiding comfort, as it serves to bind us inexorably to the Buddhist path.

Not a straightjacket but a profoundly helpful guardrail.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
krodha

Post by krodha »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:33 pm If you practice properly, everything becomes part of the Dharma path. You can learn from Jesus or the Vedas, or Ben Franklin, Confucius, Pee Wee Herman, even Donald Trump.
If you have taken refuge, then you are a Buddhist, and you just pour everything into that.
Not sure that’s how it works.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

We can go through a ceremony but not actually take the vows.
We can take the vows sincerely but break them the next day.
We can also break them one day and repair them in the next.

A vow - especially refuge - is the orientation of one's mind.

If we happen to align with the vows, then they'll protect us.

But if we don't... :shrug:
zengen

Post by zengen »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:33 pm If you practice properly, everything becomes part of the Dharma path. You can learn from Jesus or the Vedas, or Ben Franklin, Confucius...
I agree that you can learn morality and compassion from Jesus, Vedas, or Confucius but these paths can't lead you to unsurpassed enlightenment. The best they can give you is temporary relief from samsara, like going to the heaven.
There is no meaning to cyclic existence.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

krodha wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:34 am
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:33 pm If you practice properly, everything becomes part of the Dharma path. You can learn from Jesus or the Vedas, or Ben Franklin, Confucius, Pee Wee Herman, even Donald Trump.
Not sure that’s how it works.
It doesn’t mean that all teachings are dharma teachings or that every buffoon is a dharma teacher.
It means that whatever pops up, that’s what’s on your plate, that’s what’s on your path.
EMPTIFUL.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”