Joie de ... ?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Joie de ... ?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I mean, we cultivate positive states, compassion, empathetic joy, etc. Outside of those it depends, renunciate vehicles obviously don’t focus much on day to day joy. Other approaches say it’s fine to enjoy, knowing the enjoyment is temporary. I think the thing is not take refuge in mundane joy, not that we shouldn’t have it.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Rick

Post by Rick »

What does it mean to take refuge in mundane joy?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Rick

Post by Rick »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:37 pm I think the thing is not take refuge in mundane joy, not that we shouldn’t have it.
In other words, worldly joys and pleasures, as joyful and pleasurable as they may be, are *not* an effective shelter/protection from dukkha.

?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Rick wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:30 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:37 pm I think the thing is not take refuge in mundane joy, not that we shouldn’t have it.
In other words, worldly joys and pleasures, as joyful and pleasurable as they may be, are *not* an effective shelter/protection from dukkha.

?
:thumbsup:

Another concept to be explored in relation to this is escapism. I think Halloween horror movies count as escapism. :tongue:

:namaste:
Kim
Rick

Post by Rick »

Mea culpa! As my Aunt Jeanne used to say: "I'm not very good at reality." (Neither is my species, from all indications.)
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

?
Correct.
But what makes something pleasurable isn’t something inherent in the object. The source of joy comes from your own mind.
Dukkha refers to (among other things) the suffering of conditionality, as well as constant dissatisfaction.
Even when we are enjoying something pleasurable, we eventually grow tired of doing it.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Rick wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:48 pm What does it mean to take refuge in mundane joy?
For example, the Eight Worldly Preoccupations/Concerns:
hope for happiness and fear of suffering,
hope for fame and fear of insignificance,
hope for praise and fear of blame,
hope for gain and fear of loss;
Namu Amida Butsu
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Rick wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:48 pm What does it mean to take refuge in mundane joy?
To believe it will give lasting fulfillment and satisfaction. Like believing getting married will solve all your problems.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:04 am

?
Correct.
But what makes something pleasurable isn’t something inherent in the object. The source of joy comes from your own mind.
Dukkha refers to (among other things) the suffering of conditionality, as well as constant dissatisfaction.
Even when we are enjoying something pleasurable, we eventually grow tired of doing it.
If we wanted to, we could see an evolutionary imperative behind this: something nasty could kill us so we are hard-wired to pay more attention to it and remember it for longer than we might remember something that is merely pleasurable.

:coffee:
Kim
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

The quality of the first Bodhisattva bhumi is joy. When suffering has ceased there is joy in the relief of freedom from suffering. Happiness. It’s amazing how many paths in this life result in joy. The main factor beneath escape from suffering is extinction of the self experience. Some people would call this dying to self. Deep breath with focus on the personal feeling of self or other quickly burns away self feelings. To become aware of this you will need to have developed the feeling eye of prajna wisdom. Best wishes, Tom. :smile: :smile:
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Would one consider it joyful to flee a burning house? That’s how Buddhism regards samsaric existences.
EMPTIFUL.
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

The time comes when the burning house itself becomes a delightful refuge.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

White Lotus wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:17 pm The time comes when the burning house itself becomes a delightful refuge.
And at what time is that?
EMPTIFUL.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:57 pm
White Lotus wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:17 pm The time comes when the burning house itself becomes a delightful refuge.
And at what time is that?
Any day now, any day now...

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”