If you love a person you will not interfere with his personal life...

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
prsvrnc

If you love a person you will not interfere with his personal life...

Post by prsvrnc »

"If you love a person you will not interfere with his personal life. You would not dare to break the boundaries of his inner world." --Osho

I know this is a dharma forum, and while I don't know much about Osho, I feel like my understanding of Buddhism provides me with some different ways to interpret that quote. I will share my thoughts but am curious if others have comments about how they read and interpret this?
Knotty Veneer

Re: If you love a person you will not interfere with his personal life...

Post by Knotty Veneer »

prsvrnc wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:20 am "If you love a person you will not interfere with his personal life. You would not dare to break the boundaries of his inner world." --Osho

I know this is a dharma forum, and while I don't know much about Osho, I feel like my understanding of Buddhism provides me with some different ways to interpret that quote. I will share my thoughts but am curious if others have comments about how they read and interpret this?
First - avoid Osho - he was cult leader whose group imploded spectacularly.

And the quote is nonsense, if you love someone you will do what you can to benefit them and keep them from harm. If someone you love is a heroin addict, for example, would you just say I will not interfere with his personal life? No, you'd do what you can to help him overcome his addiction.

As I said, Osho is not a source of wisdom. Look elsewhere.
This is not the wrong life.
prsvrnc

Post by prsvrnc »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:45 am
prsvrnc wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:20 am "If you love a person you will not interfere with his personal life. You would not dare to break the boundaries of his inner world." --Osho

First - avoid Osho - he was cult leader whose group imploded spectacularly.

And the quote is nonsense, if you love someone you will do what you can to benefit them and keep them from harm. If someone you love is a heroin addict, for example, would you just say I will not interfere with his personal life? No, you'd do what you can to help him overcome his addiction.

As I said, Osho is not a source of wisdom. Look elsewhere.
Yeah, totes, I don't trust the dude so haven't read (or listened to) him for that reason.

I guess the quote stood out to me because I feel like it could exemplify the way an enlightened being loves in contradistinction to how an ordinary being loves. An enlightened being can have the power they do and help you expand your world because they don't add another karmic hiccup to your life. They don't relate to you with attachment. Their detachment is what makes their love and care so powerful and strike to the right point.

If the student-teacher connection is there, the presence of that teacher in the student's life invites the student down a path that undoes their karma. They can't require any participation on the part of the student, but the student, due to karmic propensity, is attracted and chooses to engage on this path. It's like a fortuitous accident to run into such a person.

I also associate it with someone at the end of their journey along the bhumis and they realize at some point that they've said enough. No more intentional action to interfere, from now on, they'll ride upon the habits of others. The enlightened being knows how pointless and misguided (ignorant) it is to do or say certain things because everyone responds according to their karma. Having travelled the path makes that clear to them so from then on they're just present only as needed to benefit the other person. Being present but in this nonattached way in the end is the only way.

The way an enlightened being loves or shows care, is different from the interference of an ordinary being. An ordinary being meddles and sows confusion through their involvement. An enlightened being makes more space.

Really messy but these are some thoughts I have in response to reading the quote.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

This sentence needs a context. It must comes from a teaching and its meaning is related to the context.

I personaly find Osho very interesting. He was a man of profund wisdom, and free. Maybe too free. He was killed (poisoned). He gives a lot of material to reflect and deepens oné’s reflection. Keep your discernment of course.
prsvrnc

Post by prsvrnc »

Soma999 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:00 am This sentence needs a context. It must comes from a teaching and its meaning is related to the context.

I personaly find Osho very interesting. He was a man of profund wisdom, and free. Maybe too free. He was killed (poisoned). He gives a lot of material to reflect and deepens oné’s reflection. Keep your discernment of course.
I would love further context for this quote but can't find where it comes from. If anyone knows, that would be great.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

If Osho really believed that statement to be true, he never would have said it out loud, because in doing so, he is changing (thus interfering with) the lives of those who might hear it.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Tills ljuset tar oss

Post by Tills ljuset tar oss »

If you love someone you let them go. If they come back they are yours. If they do not come back, they weren't yours to begin with.

I don't know. What would Buddha have said?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Tills ljuset tar oss wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:31 pm If you love someone you let them go. If they come back they are yours. If they do not come back, they weren't yours to begin with.

I don't know. What would Buddha have said?
I agree very much to this stance. In my perception it's completely true and it saves me from a lot of anger and confusion.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

prsvrnc wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:02 am
Soma999 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:00 am This sentence needs a context. It must comes from a teaching and its meaning is related to the context.

I would love further context for this quote but can't find where it comes from. If anyone knows, that would be great.
Osho would not be able to tell which one of his testicles is on the left and which on the right if it meant saving his life. What does it matter what he said?

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”