Does taking nicotine break the fifth precept

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
yinyangkoi

Does taking nicotine break the fifth precept

Post by yinyangkoi »

Hello, I have a habit of taking nicotine (oral pouches, non tobacco). Does it break the fifth precept? Is it a hindrance? I take it because I enjoy the effortless pleasure. I get cravings but they are easily set aside. I suppose quitting is the right thing, but I really enjoy the sensory pleasure. However I don't take refuge in it. It is merely a luxury. What is the correct approach to this?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Does taking nicotine break the fifth precept

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

yinyangkoi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:01 pm Hello, I have a habit of taking nicotine (oral pouches, non tobacco). Does it break the fifth precept? Is it a hindrance? I take it because I enjoy the effortless pleasure. I get cravings but they are easily set aside. I suppose quitting is the right thing, but I really enjoy the sensory pleasure. However I don't take refuge in it. It is merely a luxury. What is the correct approach to this?
I think most would say it does not, it would be a pretty strict interpretation of the precept to call nicotine an intoxicant.

On a conventional level it's a horrible habit and the sooner you rid yourself of it the better off you are in the long term. The cravings for most people get harder and harder to resist and it becomes a pernicious habit. I say that as someone who smoked for many years.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

You have to decide for yourself. No one can make a choice for you.

Tobacco is neutral by itself. Tobacco in the hand of an amazonian healer can do huge good.

In our society tobacco gives a lot of problem : bad products, poor intention and misunderstanding of how to approach this plant.

My advise : replace a pleasure with a better pleasure.

For exemple : you can get high with breathing exercice, it brings pleasure and at the same time can benefits your health.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Maybe it's no intoxicant. But it is harmful to the consumer and their environment.

It doesn't contravene any precept, if I hammer my thumb on purpose. But nevertheless it is not healthy, not smart and not okay.

Post by 55055 »

of course youre taking refuge in it. thats what it means to be captivated by small pleasures at the expense of higher ones. furthermore if it has a significant comedown period then for at least several orders of magnitude worth of that time you are removing yourself from cultivating perfect samadhi and introducing that much fresh obscuration that you will need to freshly unwind.

you have to observe the changes in yourself for yourself. if youre not meditating much then its probably ok. i was using the pure inhaler for exercise it was mostly unnecessary easily abandoned and I was already aware of samadhi so its side effects were directly manageable otherwise i would have stopped it straight away
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

No but that doesn't mean it's not bad.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
yinyangkoi

Post by yinyangkoi »

55055 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:52 pm of course youre taking refuge in it. thats what it means to be captivated by small pleasures at the expense of higher ones. furthermore if it has a significant comedown period then for at least several orders of magnitude worth of that time you are removing yourself from cultivating perfect samadhi and introducing that much fresh obscuration that you will need to freshly unwind.

you have to observe the changes in yourself for yourself. if youre not meditating much then its probably ok. i was using the pure inhaler for exercise it was mostly unnecessary easily abandoned and I was already aware of samadhi so its side effects were directly manageable otherwise i would have stopped it straight away
Do you have more information on this topic? I have seen a dharma talk from an arahant and he was using oral tobacco. This one

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”