Heatwave England

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Heatwave England

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Currently in a week long heatwave in England

Any dharmic advice on how to cope with it? 5 days in more or less
Malcolm

Re: Heatwave England

Post by Malcolm »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:47 pm Currently in a week long heatwave in England

Hydrate. Get a fan. Put ice in bowl. Direct fan over the bowl of ice. Sit in front of that.
Last edited by Malcolm on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:49 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:47 pm Currently in a week long heatwave in England

Hydrate. Get a fan. Put ice it in bowl. Direct fan over the bowl of ice. Sit in front of that.
Unfortunately swamp coolers don't work in high humidity. At least that's what I've heard.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Hazel wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:21 pm

Hydrate. Get a fan. Put ice it in bowl. Direct fan over the bowl of ice. Sit in front of that.
Unfortunately swamp coolers don't work in high humidity. At least that's what I've heard.
They work.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Practice equanimity.

Practical advice? You have had some already.
Something else we do here, depending on the house, is close it up during the day and open all windows and doors when the temperature goes down in the evening. In a week-long event, however, the house itself will heat up and if it's brick it holds so much heat it won't cool down completely overnight.

By the way ...

coolest-not-hottest.jpg
coolest-not-hottest.jpg (37.64 KiB) Viewed 801 times

:namaste:
Kim
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Hydrate. Get a fan. Put ice in bowl. Direct fan over the bowl of ice. Sit in front of that.
Great advice especially the bowl of ice and fan I’ll pass that on
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Even a cold shower a couple of times a day can help. But unfortunately none of us has control over the weather, you've just got to cope with it the best way you can.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

But unfortunately none of us has control over the weather…
Speak for yourself. One of Malcolm’s teachers was HHDL’s appointed rainmaker for Tibetan farmers in India.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:17 am
But unfortunately none of us has control over the weather… [emphasis added]
Speak for yourself. One of Malcolm’s teachers was HHDL’s appointed rainmaker for Tibetan farmers in India.
:coffee:
Kim
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

If you’re really struggling, wearing a damp vest or t-shirt can help. You get a cooling effect similar to sweating but without dehydrating. It’s how I cope when I’m in Italy and the temperatures hit the high 30s
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

That works if it’s dry heat. But if it’s humid…
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:48 am That works if it’s dry heat. But if it’s humid…
Still worked for me in Italy when it was 41 and 90% humidity a couple of years back, not as well perhaps but a lot better than nothing.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:48 am That works if it’s dry heat. But if it’s humid…
As Bristollad has just said, it still works a bit, but not as well. It depends how humid, of course, and how hot. Mid - 30s temps don't demand any particular care - just stay hydrated, stay in the shade, and catch any breeze (or fan) that's going. That's all we do.

If you really want sensible tropical clothing, look at traditional clothing of tropical countries such as India, Thailand, Indonesia.
Or where I live, of course.

:namaste:
Kim
Punya

Post by Punya »

Equanimity and knowing that things change. Depends on how used to heat and humidity you and your body are. Temperatures in the 30's, humidity and heat waves may not be a big deal for some, but if you are not used to it ....

Before air conditioning and ceiling fans became ubiquitous in Australia, my favourites were heading for the coolest part of the house (which often is the bathroom), putting my feet in a bowl of cold water, sitting on the floor (given that warm air rises) and doing as little as possible. I found ice packs helped me get to sleep. And, as Malcolm says, keeping hydrated.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”