Right view

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
yinyangkoi

Right view

Post by yinyangkoi »

Hello, when I apply right view to the present moment, I eventually come to the conclusion that I would need to become a monk and live in a monestary or become a hermit (leave the householder life) if I want to continue with the noble eightfold path.

However I am scared to leave the people I love and I don't want them to be sad about me leaving. This is causing me suffering. There is the great desire to attain nirvana, but there is the greater fear to leave everything behind.

I realize the fear is from attachment, and right view tells me to get rid of the attachments, like family and spouse. Also I realize the desire for nirvana is bringing also suffering. However I also realized that nirvana is already here. So I am kind of confused. Right now I am at the point where I can see the mind how it shows what to do and what to avoid to reduce suffering. At the same time, I realize all this suffering is just mind, not me. So it leaves me in the position where actually doing nothing is the right thing to do. I just realize that the moment right now is already it.

Am I just deluded? Any tips how to deal with this? I have not verbalized this experience yet. If it is unclear, ask a question.
Malcolm

Re: Right view

Post by Malcolm »

yinyangkoi wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:30 pm Hello, when I apply right view to the present moment, I eventually come to the conclusion that I would need to become a monk and live in a monestary or become a hermit (leave the householder life) if I want to continue with the noble eightfold path.
That is the śravāka path. The Mahāyāna path is the six perfections and it is not necessary to do that.
ThreeVows

Re: Right view

Post by ThreeVows »

yinyangkoi wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:30 pm when I apply right view to the present moment...
Noble Right View is essentially the mind which discerns the deathless. This could be contrasted with 'mundane right view' or 'right view with effluents', which is more of a conceptual framework which is a suitable support for realization.

I'm not sure what you mean here, though.

If you're inclined, you could read the Great Forty Sutta for a nikaya perspective on these definitions.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”