Neurodharma by Rick Hanson

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Beginner's Mind

Neurodharma by Rick Hanson

Post by Beginner's Mind »

Would anyone care to discuss the book Neurodharma by Rick Hanson?
Inedible

Re: Neurodharma by Rick Hanson

Post by Inedible »

Unless you are giving out copies, maybe you can give us a few hints about what makes this a book worth acquiring?
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Having browsed through his webpage and a book preview on Amazon, it doesn't look remotely relevant for this forum at all whatsoever.

https://www.rickhanson.net/online-cours ... e-program/
https://www.rickhanson.net/books/neurodharma/#reviews
"grounding in science cuts through mystical mumbo-jumbo"
It screams self-help, secular, and so on.
reiun

Post by reiun »

Norwegian wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:30 am Having browsed through his webpage and a book preview on Amazon, it doesn't look remotely relevant for this forum at all whatsoever.

https://www.rickhanson.net/online-cours ... e-program/
https://www.rickhanson.net/books/neurodharma/#reviews
"grounding in science cuts through mystical mumbo-jumbo"
It screams self-help, secular, and so on.
Over the years I have attended many Psychotherapy Networker Symposia at the Omni Shoreham in Washington DC. (CEU's were a requirement to maintain my license as a psychotherapist.) One of several featured presenters included Tara Brach, whom I greatly respect and admire. She has offered the following endorsement of a book by Dr. Hanson:
"Buddha’s Brain will show you how mental practices, informed by the contemplative traditions, can increase your capacity for experiencing happiness and peace. This book provides a scientific understanding of these methods, and clear guidance for practices that cultivate a wise and free heart."
—Tara Brach, PhD author of Radical Acceptance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_Brach

I would not be so quick to dismiss the work of Dr. Hanson.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

It looks like Buddhist-informed pyschotherapy and/or self help.

People not in therapeutic world might not realize this, but Buddhism has had an earth-shaking impact on the world of pyschotherapy.

As long as it's marketed as such - therapy or self help based on Buddhist principles- and not as Buddhist practice, I'm all for it. Having used clinicalized Buddhist practices working in the world of drug treatment and seen the results, I am all for such things, and it is crazy not to be, if one is informed about the range of practices available in those worlds. That is, as long as people don't turn around and be like "this is the real Buddhism" - ala Stephen Batchelor, etc.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Beginner's Mind

Thank you for joining me in exploring this book. It is a delight to see all of the replies.

I consider and the author suggests that Neurodharma is a workbook that has many practices and much actionable advice. Therefore, one wanting to learn and practice all that this book has to offer may enjoy the company of others while on this journey.

Here are 2 - interviews that the author did with his son about the book when it first came out.

First interview.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/b ... 0472047490

Second interview.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/b ... 0472776682
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Moved thread to a more appropriate section.

-Khunu Lama
Beginner's Mind

Chapter 8 Opening Into Allness

Of all the chapters in the book Chapter 8 seems to have garnered a lot of my interest. In it he explores 'The Self'.

He uses a lot of great quotes borrowed from other Buddhists as well as contemplatives from other traditions.

Here is one from Fritjof Capra.

"We have come to realize in modern physics that the material world is not a collection of separate objects, but rather appears as a network of relations between the various parts of a unified whole."

Here is another one from Kalu Rinpoche.

"We live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality. We are that reality. When you understand this, you see that you are nothing. And being nothing, you are everything."

The practices that the author suggests to open into allness are quite good. Gazing at the sky is a simple yet effective tool that I use daily.

I wonder if one should remember the four noble truths when opening into allness? Perhaps one should stay ALERT to the possibilty of actually losing one self if one takes these practices too far?

Beginner's mind, beginner's questions. :)

Thank you..
Beginner's Mind

Grace in Buddhism

In chapter 9 titled "Finding Timelessness" on page 229 the author uses the word 'Grace' while trying to explore the transcendental with the reader.
In this chapter he admits that there is no proof of the transcendental. He does write about how the Buddha sought the 'Unconditioned'. Which the author uses to segway into the topic of the transcendental.

Anyway about Grace. My friend once told me that Buddhism differs from some of the other contemplative traditions in that it does not offer Grace.

I was wondering, what does the Buddha say about Grace?

Thanks
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Grace in Buddhism

Post by Ayu »

Beginner's Mind wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:12 pm In chapter 9 titled "Finding Timelessness" on page 229 the author uses the word 'Grace' while trying to explore the transcendental with the reader.
In this chapter he admits that there is no proof of the transcendental. He does write about how the Buddha sought the 'Unconditioned'. Which the author uses to segway into the topic of the transcendental.

Anyway about Grace. My friend once told me that Buddhism differs from some of the other contemplative traditions in that it does not offer Grace.

Thanks
I think, somewhere in Buddhism there is a phenomenon like grace. Maybe one can call it rather compassion of the buddhas.
But it's not the complete great relief like Christianity offers. The buddhist philosophy is completely different and trials of comparison are bound to lead to confusion.
Karma e.g. is the result of one's own actions, but it is not dealing about guilt. It's just about consequences. And liberation is not possible only by grace, as long as the aspirant is too ignorant for it. Their actions will lead to misery again and again.

Is this still on topic?
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

a.k.a. “blessings”.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Rick

Post by Rick »

Beginner's Mind wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:02 pm Would anyone care to discuss the book Neurodharma by Rick Hanson?
Thanks for the tip, I found Buddha's Brain useful and will check out Neurodharma.

:namaste:
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Does the book discuss the mind in the bardo too?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Grace in Buddhism

Beginner's Mind wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:12 pm In chapter 9 titled "Finding Timelessness" on page 229 the author uses the word 'Grace' while trying to explore the transcendental with the reader.

Thanks
As far as I understand it grace in a theistic sense comes from God, who in fact is the only real source of it from that standpoint. From my perspective when I hear Christian etc. talk about this state, it quite strange, because it is essentially saying that they are not responsible for their own mental states. The idea seems to be that you prayed enough and God delivered your mind to a peaceful state. Rarely do they seem to contemplate the possibility that it was the praying itself and the shift it created that led to the state...rather, the focus is on an external being somehow altering one's mind. This is contrary to Buddhist understanding of mind.

In Buddhism something outside of oneself cannot really deliver a state, it is just not possible to bring anothers mind to peace like that - this must come from oneself, in terms of actions, wisdom etc. In other words, one has to discover this state within one's own experiences, and it cannot be delivered or bestowed by something or someone else.

Enlightened and highly spiritually developed beings can bless our path and help us as best they can, but discovery of this state is contingent entirely on the individual and how they work with their karma. From a Buddhist standpoint, any "state of grace" delivered from an outside source is not the real McCoy, and is being misunderstood.

-Khunu Lama
Schrödinger’s Yidam

The practitioner must take the action. Without that the blessings cannot come. So in that sense it is 100% up to the practitioner.

However once the practitioner has opened their mind with sufficient faith and devotion, the blessings of the Lama and the 3 Jewels can spontaneously manifest in their mind. It can be sudden or gradual, subtle or overt.

Or so I’ve been led to believe. I’ve not been able to pull it off myself.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:29 pm The practitioner must take the action. Without that the blessings cannot come. So in that sense it is 100% up to the practitioner.

However once the practitioner has opened their mind with sufficient faith and devotion, the blessings of the Lama and the 3 Jewels can spontaneously manifest in their mind. It can be sudden or gradual, subtle or overt.

The blessings are a way of priming our potentiality, they are not the goal, and as you said, they are tied to the practitioners faith and devotion. Even some of the simple stories like the Dog's Tooth etc. illustrate this principle. If we wanted to get granular, I'd ask what it means for blessings to "spontaneously manifest" in a practitioners mind; because in actual practice it mainly seems to happen with great preparation.

Even there, when we request blessings from the lineage, often the actual prayers request help with things like:

-correctly perceiving reality
-developing love and compassion
-developing renunciation

-Khunu Lama
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:50 pm
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:29 pm The practitioner must take the action. Without that the blessings cannot come. So in that sense it is 100% up to the practitioner.

The blessings are a way of priming our potentiality, they are not the goal, and as you said, they are tied to the practitioners faith and devotion. Even some of the simple stories like the Dog's Tooth etc. illustrate this principle. If we wanted to get granular, I'd ask what it means for blessings to "spontaneously manifest" in a practitioners mind; because in actual practice it mainly seems to happen with great preparation.

Even there, when we request blessings from the lineage, often the actual prayers request help with things like:

-correctly perceiving reality
-developing love and compassion
-developing renunciation
In my experience; one needs absolutely nothing but a connection to the dharma. Grace absolutely exists in Buddhism, perhaps it's described differently. I have been through several experiences where other people/beings have saved my ass when I absolutely did not deserve it.

Once delusion is removed, a sentient being 'ceases' to be. So, It isn't a matter of deserving, acting/practicing or being faithful. All being's are equally deserving of compassion, and enlightenment. Regardless of their deeds/behavior. Delusion is such a powerful force, it's hard to judge.

Of course once you see thing's clearly, it becomes a responsibility to practice and act accordingly.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

If we wanted to get granular, I'd ask what it means for blessings to "spontaneously manifest" in a practitioners mind; because in actual practice it mainly seems to happen with great preparation.
As per the last chapter of The Uttaratantra, Buddha Activity does not entail any thought, deliberation, discernment, or intention. It just happens automatically when the practitioner is sufficiently receptive. It’s like sunshine entering a room when you open the curtains. The sunshine has no intention behind it. It just happens.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:33 pm
If we wanted to get granular, I'd ask what it means for blessings to "spontaneously manifest" in a practitioners mind; because in actual practice it mainly seems to happen with great preparation.
As per the last chapter of The Uttaratantra, Buddha Activity does not entail any thought, deliberation, discernment, or intention. It just happens automatically when the practitioner is sufficiently receptive. It’s like sunshine entering a room when you open the curtains. The sunshine has no intention behind it. It just happens.
Yeah, I've read it thanks. It still means that for beings to receive these blessings, obscurative veils must be removed, etc. and it means that even more emphatically, Buddha Nature, the Lineage, the Guru or whoever cannot do so for you, a decision of some sort must be made by the practitioner. Of course the accounts of how that come about differ throughout different vehicles.

So the person has to open the curtains to let the sunlight in or if you prefer another approach, a person has to realize the curtains aren't real in first place.. ether way the sunlight does not open the curtains for you...that is Buddhism 101 and pretty universal I think, with the exception maybe of Pureland. Even there, a volitional decision to entrust one's state to Amida is present.

Another traditional example would be the "hook of compassion", where the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas can lower a hook down into samsara for beings to grab onto, but there is no mechanism for us to grab onto the hook without conduct, view, etc.

-Khunu Lama
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Buddha Activity is spontaneous, but not unilateral. We’ve got to do our part too.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”