Staying motivated for everyday activities

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
hrih

Staying motivated for everyday activities

Post by hrih »

The drudgery of normal, day-to-day life and work is really a snooze compared to dharma practice. I love the idea of "Taking everything as the path" as lamas describe. What are some ways that you get into the groove of routine, especially repetitive work with your dharma practice?

I'm looking for some ideas. One thing I can say for sure is that I'm actually concerned about the quality of the work I deliver to my clients now that I practice the Vajrayana. I really try to deliver the best work that I can, but sometimes the monotony of the process really gets to me and I'd rather be doing Ngondro.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Staying motivated for everyday activities

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Everything you do had a ripple effect.
Visualize/wish/make the aspiration that all beings benefit from whatever you are doing, that they find a connection with the dharma, because you have a connection with the dharma.
So, even if you spend 10 hours a day putting rubber bands on rubber band balls, you can make the aspiration that may everyone who gets a rubber band ball or even takes one rubber band from the rubber band ball, that they may turn to the dharma and attain realization quickly.
Everything can be ngondro.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
hrih

Post by hrih »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:56 am Everything you do had a ripple effect.
Visualize/wish/make the aspiration that all beings benefit from whatever you are doing, that they find a connection with the dharma, because you have a connection with the dharma.
So, even if you spend 10 hours a day putting rubber bands on rubber band balls, you can make the aspiration that may everyone who gets a rubber band ball or even takes one rubber band from the rubber band ball, that they may turn to the dharma and attain realization quickly.
This is really, really good. Thank you so much.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

From Lama Zopa Rinpoche at the FPMT, Cultivating Mindfulness of Bodhicitta In Daily Activities.
Namu Amida Butsu
Realmwalker

Post by Realmwalker »

What could in truth be more repetitive than sitting still in meditation, watching the rise and fall of one's breath? We have no reason to treat our daily choirs any different than this.
To be entertained is to constantly be exposed to new, sensory impulses; a new experience. But the way to lasting happiness is through repitition. Is this not the very nature of discipline?
It is to me a matter of just choosing to be content with what I experience in the present moment; to me this is the heart of meditation, whether sitting still or in daily activities. Don't resist; being mindful and choosing an inner attitude of contentment. Holding on to this, daily things become a passageway to greatness. It does require a certain trust, a certain surrender. The mind does not trust the simple or the common. It wants to see spiritual fireworks, a spiritual lightshow. It wants to be impressed. But seeking greatness in stapling a bunch of papers together all day is very strange to the mind. Something it does not expect.

Besides, emptiness is form, form is nothing but emptiness (heart sutra). This means you can only ever enter your Buddha nature through ordinary, daily things. Even by accepting emptiness in a distracted mind.

Forgive me for my ignorance,

Realmwalker
hrih

Post by hrih »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:56 am Everything you do had a ripple effect.
I wanted to come back to this thread and express my gratitude for these words here. Thank you for this post. It has been very helpful in seeing my activities in a totally new light. May all beings benefit from this awesome post of yours!
hrih

Post by hrih »

明安 Myoan wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:17 am From Lama Zopa Rinpoche at the FPMT, Cultivating Mindfulness of Bodhicitta In Daily Activities.
Thanks!
hrih

Post by hrih »

Realmwalker wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:43 am What could in truth be more repetitive than sitting still in meditation, watching the rise and fall of one's breath? We have no reason to treat our daily choirs any different than this.
To be entertained is to constantly be exposed to new, sensory impulses; a new experience. But the way to lasting happiness is through repitition. Is this not the very nature of discipline?
It is to me a matter of just choosing to be content with what I experience in the present moment; to me this is the heart of meditation, whether sitting still or in daily activities. Don't resist; being mindful and choosing an inner attitude of contentment. Holding on to this, daily things become a passageway to greatness. It does require a certain trust, a certain surrender. The mind does not trust the simple or the common. It wants to see spiritual fireworks, a spiritual lightshow. It wants to be impressed. But seeking greatness in stapling a bunch of papers together all day is very strange to the mind. Something it does not expect.

Besides, emptiness is form, form is nothing but emptiness (heart sutra). This means you can only ever enter your Buddha nature through ordinary, daily things. Even by accepting emptiness in a distracted mind.

Forgive me for my ignorance,

Realmwalker
This is a very good point, thank you.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

The drudgery of normal, day-to-day life and work is really a snooze compared to dharma practice
It might be beneficial to contemplate exactly what this word "drudgery" means, and why this comparison is being made.

I have found that the basics of health (sleep, diet, and exercise) are the foundation of productivity, work ethic, etc.

I try to make sure that my intake of vitamins and minerals is adequate: often, people are deficient in Vitamin D and B12. I eat a mostly whole food plant based diet: mostly vegetables, a small amount of fruit if any, and plenty of protein. I limit sugar & salt & saturated fat intake. I don't consume tobacco, alcohol, or caffeine (except for what's in tea). Moderate exercise actually helps with my energy levels (but only if done in moderation, and at a reasonable intensity level). Having a regular sleep schedule helps too, but this is something I haven't yet fixed. Mental diet matters tremendously too: I try to consume only information that is either dharma-oriented or helpful in my personal or professional life. Beyond this, preparation is also important: things like leaving earlier to get somewhere, addressing concerns ahead of time, getting organized, tracking things in a calendar, etc. Ultimately, what matters is the cultivation of self-discipline as a factor that overrides everything else. The way this actually works is still somewhat a mystery to me, even though I've been able to make some positive change in this regard.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”