Practicing eight precepts and mindfulness in daily tasks via Zoom

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
nglinhvn

Practicing eight precepts and mindfulness in daily tasks via Zoom

Post by nglinhvn »

I'm finding a virtual group that keeps eight precepts and practice mindfulness in daily tasks of life together via Zoom. No dhamma talk, no chatting, no greeting, just noble silence. And one can join that group anytime in a day.

If there is no such a group that can join anytime any day, anyone interested in create a group like that with me via Zoom?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Practicing eight precepts and mindfulness in daily tasks via Zoom

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

nglinhvn wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:55 pm I'm finding a virtual group that keeps eight precepts and practice mindfulness in daily tasks of life together via Zoom. No dhamma talk, no chatting, no greeting, just noble silence. And one can join that group anytime in a day.

If there is no such a group that can join anytime any day, anyone interested in create a group like that with me via Zoom?
I don't understand what you are looking for, a Zoom group of people not drinking, stealing etc.? How would that even work? Or are you just looking for a meditation group?

I don't think Zoom meetings where people just sit silently are terribly popular, because that is easy to do by oneself.

I have noticed that many places (including my center) opted not to offer silent meditation via Zoom because it feels very strange to meditate in silence with a computer selection of silent faces, more of a distraction than a help.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
nglinhvn

Post by nglinhvn »

Yes. Its very strange idea to advance practitioner. And very weird to most of people who don't feel comfortable sharing everything on-line. But for someone who is just a lay person who have to do a lot of mundane tasks and have a little time to meditate. I found this support me. It's hard to explain for you. Maybe it's just me. I'm just finding some luck here.
Last edited by nglinhvn on Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I just can't imagine anyone wanting to get on Zoom and sit on camera to just be silent. I mean guided meditation, sadhana, teachings are another thing, but why would someone go on Zoom just to be silent? Why not just be silent?

You could look into taking daily vows through Zoom or something like that, then apply them on your own...that I imagine is doable, a non-talking Zoom group I don't imagine will be very popular, whether advanced or beginner, the technology just doesn't lend itself to that much.

-Khunu Lama
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:03 am I just can't imagine anyone wanting to get on Zoom and sit on camera to just be silent. I mean guided meditation, sadhana, teachings are another thing, but why would someone go on Zoom just to be silent? Why not just be silent?
If I understand correctly, people are doing tasks.

It sounds like a co-working zoom meeting with some Buddhist trappings. I have one I go to regularly, minus the Buddhism.

Also though, I think you're downplaying the social factor. Doing something with others may not be a difference for some people, but it's huge for others, regardless of the task. There's also the scheduling component, accountability, etc.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:03 am I just can't imagine anyone wanting to get on Zoom and sit on camera to just be silent. I mean guided meditation, sadhana, teachings are another thing, but why would someone go on Zoom just to be silent? Why not just be silent?
My temple--and actually, all of the Soto Zen temples I know--have done Zoom Zazen since the start of the pandemic. We don't face the camera, but keep the phone or computer to one side. It's definitely not the same as sitting in person, but nor is it the same as sitting by myself. There's definitely a togetherness that comes through, even if it's only a pastiche. I dunno. I'm looking forward to being able to sit in person again, but Zoom has been a decent stopgap, under the circumstances.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Genjo Conan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:37 am
My temple--and actually, all of the Soto Zen temples I know--have done Zoom Zazen since the start of the pandemic. We don't face the camera, but keep the phone or computer to one side. It's definitely not the same as sitting in person, but nor is it the same as sitting by myself. There's definitely a togetherness that comes through, even if it's only a pastiche. I dunno. I'm looking forward to being able to sit in person again, but Zoom has been a decent stopgap, under the circumstances.
Sure but with that I assume you see people bow, hear the bells or wooden fish or whatever. The OP is literally talking about silently doing daily tasks etc.
OP's post wrote:No dhamma talk, no chatting, no greeting, just noble silence. And one can join that group anytime in a day.
I don't even understand how it would work.

Anyway Genjo, feel similarly about Zoom. I am the English Umze for my Dharma center and took on the project of putting in on Zoom when Covid hit, since it's mostly recitation it's a real pain, you have to mute/unmute yourself constantly, etc. Not bad once you get used to it, but you can't get the group singing effect on Zoom at all, and I'm glad we're going back soon.

I personally don't understand the allure of silent meditation on Zoom (though guided stuff obviously makes sense) though I can see it with Zen because you are seeing the Zendo, getting the cues, etc.

From my perspective it's probably more worth the OP's time to get some Zoom time with a teacher and either take daily vows (such as Sojong, or whatever is traditionally equivalent), or get a teaching/advice on how to structure periods of silence and practice, but that's just my take.

-Khunu Lama
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Yeah, I can't say that I understand what the OP is asking for.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”