That feeling

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
avatamsaka3

That feeling

Post by avatamsaka3 »

The other day I had this feeling that I guess you could call feeling overwhelmed, in body and mind. But it was also fear, fatigue, and some headache and uneasiness. I imagine it felt something like lying on the surface of a lake in a storm, even though I've never experienced that. There was this uneasy ickiness throughout the body.

There is so much discombobulation with this sort of state that it's hard to have a disciplined day, much less continue with practice.

I find that separation from stressors over time allows this "feeling" to subside. But what to do in the short term?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: That feeling

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Take a nap
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Budai

Post by Budai »

Sometimes I find the only Practice I need is chanting a Simple Mantra and being myself, and doing things that make me happy. Especially after a lot of difficult things occur, I find this an easier way to progress. It’s good to be at Peace, and be kind to yourself, remember how deeply the Dalai Lama Treasures kindness?

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

Om Mani Padme Hum.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

OK, any other ideas?
muni

Post by muni »

In such moments to relax isn't simple. 'I' have then the habit to want to run away out of the body in panic of all the feelings. But this makes it not better. 'I' is then fixated solidified thoughts, feelings are identified as me.

Stay in body and bring attention on breath (if possible). By attention on breathing, stillness 'arises' ( is always there but not always recognized), 'be' that stillness while thoughts, feelings flow on their own. Then grasping isn't.

Or remember meditation or another helpful given practice.

Take a good rest as already mentioned. May you be well. :anjali:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:41 pm The other day I had this feeling that I guess you could call feeling overwhelmed, in body and mind. But it was also fear, fatigue, and some headache and uneasiness. I imagine it felt something like lying on the surface of a lake in a storm, even though I've never experienced that. There was this uneasy ickiness throughout the body.

There is so much discombobulation with this sort of state that it's hard to have a disciplined day, much less continue with practice.

I find that separation from stressors over time allows this "feeling" to subside. But what to do in the short term?
As I'm a bit high-sensitive, I am very used to this feeling of being overwhelmed. Usually in some evenings every week I simply endure such waves and I know there is no need to take them too seriously.
It's okay to have a relaxed analysis though, just to get things straight.
But as real good remedy I agree to Padma von Samba's advice. I would say this without laughing though.

And your analogy of a storm is extremely fitting.
I regard these times as bad weather which is coming and going and which has it's value (e. g. rain on dry land).
But I don't have to solve bad weather and there's no need to judge it. It's always coming and going and this is it's habit only.
muni

Post by muni »

Also just like everyone, all beings are going through different overwhelming feelings, are having pain, fear... In our experience then to think on all, wishing all to be freed from such. Then by own experience compassion can arise for all. :group:
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

In such moments to relax isn't simple. 'I' have then the habit to want to run away out of the body in panic of all the feelings. But this makes it not better. 'I' is then fixated solidified thoughts, feelings are identified as me.

Stay in body and bring attention on breath (if possible). By attention on breathing, stillness 'arises' ( is always there but not always recognized), 'be' that stillness while thoughts, feelings flow on their own. Then grasping isn't.

Or remember meditation or another helpful given practice.
This is helpful, thanks. The only problem is that when I've tried doing this sort of simple practice during these times I feel like I'm getting tossed around in a washing machine. And behind my eyes is all this energy buzzing around. So it's... beyond my current capacity to focus in that state.
I regard these times as bad weather which is coming and going and which has it's value (e. g. rain on dry land).
But I don't have to solve bad weather and there's no need to judge it. It's always coming and going and this is it's habit only.
Thanks, it's good to know someone else relates to this.

I let a lot of things happen without reacting to really any of it. So I take on a lot of stress and unfair incidents and such as bodily and mental stress. I often don't feel there's any other way. I don't want to commit an act of wrong speech, or cause problems for myself. Fighting anger with anger doesn't work, and takes me down a road of turning into Mr. Nasty I don't want to go down again.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:37 am OK, any other ideas?
I am not sure I suffer the same thing, but I can tell you what I do in similar states.

I check if I'm being overwhelmed by external stimulus. Is my room or desk messy? Is the music not agreeing with me? Do I need to pee? Do I need to shower? Am I thirsty? Do I need to close all the applications/tabs except for what I'm working on?

I also ask myself "what's one thing I can do to improve my circumstance?" The smaller the better.

Okay and the hardest piece of advice. Compromise. If I'm going to sit there wrestling with myself not completing a task, why not complete some lesser (or just different) task and actually finish it. This often sets me up for success later or the following days if the compromise was cleaning my environment or making a Todo list. But it's okay if it's not, because I got something done and that makes me feel good.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
reiun

Post by reiun »

I exercise every day: walk 1.5 miles early morning, ride bicycle in the afternoon, and do calisthenics before lifting weights on a workout bench before lunch. These all really get endorphins flowing, producing a feeling of well-being for the short-term, which is what you said you need help with. Mentally for me this helps a lot, as well as fitness benefits. Of course, exercise scheduling is to suit your own convenience.

I read at least an hour. I especially like autobiographies. I keep in touch with family. I don't eat junk (too much!). A friend says she schedules her worrying, so that unless it is coming due, it doesn't intrude. Because of health I can't usually sleep more than three hours straight, and I believe that my regimen helps/compensates.

If the problem warrants, counseling is always an option, as is a medical exam, if only at least to rule out physical causes like chemical imbalance. No fair if you're not on a level playing field!

(Not meaning to violate medical advice rule here.)

Best wishes and hope you begin to feel better.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

My best guess as to the cause of this is that I'm just a sensitive guy. I see no evidence of other causes.
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I'm not sure if it would be helpful for this situation, but I recently found a Caroline Myss guided meditation which has improved my life: https://www.soundstrue.com/products/eve ... meditation

I listen to the guided evening meditation before bed; essentially what the tape does is guide the listener to connect with each chakra and release any tension, negative imprints, discomfort that are stored in the body. She says that it's really important to clean out your body of tension and negative imprints/energies before bed so you don't bring them into the next day. This practice helps to kind of clean the state of the mind, body, and spirit so that your energy can naturally rebalance and replenish itself.

There is a component of deep relaxation involved. Part of the tape also involves reflecting on the day and actually recalling pieces of your spirit or energy that have been depleted or lost during the day. You basically call any energy back that has been leaked out during the day. The meditation also involves blessing your previous day as you imagine that every step you've taken over the previous day has been blessed and then you extend that into the next day by blessing the next day and sending positive, loving thoughts to the following day. Also, you set an intention that as you go to sleep you are only going to generate loving, positive thoughts while you sleep.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Budai

Post by Budai »

This Meditation helped me heal from a lot of wounds. As simple as it is, I was recommended it and it worked quite well. It is called Loving-Kindness Meditation, and it was taught by the Buddha. It is taught in Theravada, Vajrayana, and Mahayana in various ways, here is a simple one by Ajahn Brahm:

Namaste! :heart:
reiun

Post by reiun »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:05 pm My best guess as to the cause of this is that I'm just a sensitive guy. I see no evidence of other causes.
Yeah, and too, sensitivity might be a part of who we as a community are, in particular with the path we have chosen, which might bring out the innate sensitivity you describe. So, it is how to handle the challenging part of it while still utilizing the valuable side of that increased sensitivity.

Just finished reading the Marsha Linehan book Building a Life Worth Living: A Memoir. Sometimes Western psychology, such as she contributed to, can be of service.
muni

Post by muni »

This is helpful, thanks. The only problem is that when I've tried doing this sort of simple practice during these times I feel like I'm getting tossed around in a washing machine. And behind my eyes is all this energy buzzing around. So it's... beyond my current capacity to focus in that state.
If it causes a washing machine state, then as well for me focus it is not applicable. Then going to sit as a cat above the washing machine? I mean be aware of all what happens, to take a little distance and be less tossed around by experiences?
If that is not possible then accept, since all is passing and this as well as passing effects of karma.
Also I take a paracetamol or ibuprofen for headaches.

And someone mentioned Mantra.

May you be well.
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

When you have got rid of feelings of object self and subject self that feeling still arises but it no longer causes suffering. When you are in the washing machine just be in the washing machine. Be aware of how it feels but don’t try to get rid of the feeling. It will pass like a cloud. If the mind wants to think let it think, let it unravel itself. Watch the unravelling. The main thing is to drop feelings of self, then ego no longer matters though it chatter away. It is chattering to no one. When you have dealt with self there is still pain but it no longer causes suffering. Also the pain, though it be sunburn or whatever is diminished.

May we all be free of suffering and the delusion of self and the delusion of true self, of 1 and of 0. :anjali:
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”