Are things that make you feel good bad?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
MagnetSoulSP

Re: Are things that make you feel good bad?

Post by MagnetSoulSP »

Inedible wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:47 am
Ardha wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:14 am That still sounds awfully vague though. How do you tell what is Truth and what is the false stuff?
Keep challenging and testing your results over a long period of time. Most of the time questions will just drop away and become meaningless to you. Truth is what is left behind after you destroy everything else. It can't be described directly, although if it could that would really make it easier to teach.
That's still very vague though and doesn't answer the question. By that metric ANYTHING could be truth.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

The Jed McKenna books aren't expensive. The original trilogy of books had the most direct participation from the person Jed is based on. The main difficulty with reading them is that it is easy to react emotionally and miss the point of what he is saying. It helps to read the books multiple times. It is better to do it with months or years between readings so your own perspective changes. Just like any book. It shouldn't have to be my job to try to defend books I didn't write. I got started because I thought I could help, but the results are clear. I was wrong.
MagnetSoulSP

Post by MagnetSoulSP »

Inedible wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:10 am The Jed McKenna books aren't expensive. The original trilogy of books had the most direct participation from the person Jed is based on. The main difficulty with reading them is that it is easy to react emotionally and miss the point of what he is saying. It helps to read the books multiple times. It is better to do it with months or years between readings so your own perspective changes. Just like any book. It shouldn't have to be my job to try to defend books I didn't write. I got started because I thought I could help, but the results are clear. I was wrong.
That sounds like a faulty writer or bad communicator. You shouldn't have to read the books many times to "get it". In fact you can't really be sure he "got it" either. IF all his books are the same way, with that visceral emotional reaction when people read it then they aren't worth reading. Good writers and communicators know how to get their points across without incensing people.

Judging from the response others on this thread have had he's not worth paying attention to either. Saying that spirituality is painful colors the experience and has people looking for the wrong things. I think you might be letting your stance of him color what he was actually like. Even looking at the reviews of his books it's clear others can see what BS it is.

Mod note 2023:
This topic is being locked due to two reasons.
1. It has been necroed.
I. User MagnetSoulSP is the same person as Ardha after a change of username. This was not really clear, when MagnetSoulSP necroed the topic.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”