Why drugs are bad for meditators?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Pårl

Re: Why drugs are bad for meditators?

Post by Pårl »

I think that is eloquently put.

My understanding is that we have a responsibility to look after our health, so that we can be strong for our family, friends and the sangha. In order to help others, one must be try live healthily yourself. In my case - and it sounds similar for you - my prescription medications allow me to function in a productive and fulfilled way, and they set me up to help others. Sometimes they can have a tranquilizing effect, and there, unfortunately, my meditation practise is definitely impacted.
sakyapandita1

Post by sakyapandita1 »

amanitamusc wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:38 am
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:05 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:24 pm

This is explicitly outlined by Vasubandhu in his commentary on the Abhidharmakośa, so it is a principle that will not be unknown to educated East Asian Buddhists.
Would you recommend Jewels from the Treasury as a good text to introduce abhidharma to beginners?
Vol 1-4
What exactly is Vol 1-4? As far as I know, Jewels from the Treasury is a single volume. Do you mean Areas I-IV (up to page 51)?
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

sakyapandita1 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:34 am
amanitamusc wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:38 am
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:05 pm

Would you recommend Jewels from the Treasury as a good text to introduce abhidharma to beginners?
Vol 1-4
What exactly is Vol 1-4? As far as I know, Jewels from the Treasury is a single volume. Do you mean Areas I-IV (up to page 51)?
The series that i posted a link for is " Gateway to Knowledge".By MIpham Rinpoche
jamesrigzin

Post by jamesrigzin »

Carlos Castaneda was mentioned earlier.

Please do not view him as a role model of any kind, especially when it comes to psychedelics.

When he died of glaucoma - related illnesses, his “students” died by suicide, together. That will tell you enough about his legacy.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

This topic is locked due to necroing which is being explained in our Terms of Service.
You can find an interesting topic about Carlos Cataneda here:

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 40#p635840

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”