Buddhism and depression

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Hazel
Former staff member

Re: Buddhism and depression

Post by Hazel »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:45 pm
Ardha wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:22 pm
I’ve had therapy for over 15 years but it’s usually just me doing all the talking and making points while the therapist gave me a sense they didn’t quite get what I meant. They didn’t really offer strategies for coping either, well...none that helped. They seemed convinced that my talk about me were lies or wrong but it’s not. Very hard to make progress.

That’s why I came to meds as the conclusion.
I don't know what this means exactly, but if you did 15 years of time with therapists there should be -alot- of stuff you've tried, what sort of things have you tried that didn't work? Has anything worked to lessen symptoms?
I have found that some are very talk-focused while others are more "hands on." Also, there's the degree which the client is willing to work with the therapists suggestions and try things out.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
MagnetSoulSP

Post by MagnetSoulSP »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:45 pm
Ardha wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:22 pm
I’ve had therapy for over 15 years but it’s usually just me doing all the talking and making points while the therapist gave me a sense they didn’t quite get what I meant. They didn’t really offer strategies for coping either, well...none that helped. They seemed convinced that my talk about me were lies or wrong but it’s not. Very hard to make progress.

That’s why I came to meds as the conclusion.
I don't know what this means exactly, but if you did 15 years of time with therapists there should be -alot- of stuff you've tried, what sort of things have you tried that didn't work? Has anything worked to lessen symptoms?

Well, If you can't access meds and say therapy doesn't work then the only other thing is to look into supplements and exercise. There are supplement regimens that boost serotonin, and hard physical exercise boosts it as well. You might want to look into those things if you feel that therapy hasn't worked for you and you need some kind of biological intervention.

I'm curious as to how you afforded 15 years of therapy but can't go to your GP to get a prescription. Where I live people on state insurance can definitely get prescriptions for meds, and get them partially covered; but I don't know where you live, or even what country you are in. I assumed the US since you said you couldn't afford meds, lol. However, It's pretty uncommon to hear that someone in the US would get extensive therapy paid for but not meds. Where are you located?

Right or wrong, the first person you should talk to is your doctor, who might very well be able to find a way to help you pay for your medications.
I can’t really afford to see my doctor. The therapy was when my parents paid and now my mom doesn’t work and my dad is retired. They can’t afford to help and I don’t have a decent insurance to see my GP and therapy costs too much (not to mention it won’t work with my current work schedule). Where I live insurance doesn’t cover therapy or psyche meds.

I’ve tried supplements and hard exercise but they don’t do anything. Like I said, been there done that.

My therapist tried to make it sound like I haven’t screwed up my life but it began to get to the point that we both knew it was a lie. That achieving a college degree doesn’t count as an accomplishment when it’s a useless degree that took 9 years and I had to get kicked through it by everyone. Even they admitted that they couldn’t really lie to me anymore. The social skills they talked about were techniques that don’t really work in conversation. Seriously the stuff we practiced was stuff that would make you sound like a creep.
muni

Post by muni »

Doctors have often not that time to listen. Not that they do not want but it is often not possible. However for right medicines they can help.

I feel that we people should more listen to each other, more just be there for each other. "Listening says more". Therefore this tread is a good reminder. The youtubes Johnny posted are by great compassion.

There are many people in this condition, if it could to include them into your heart and send them love, this could release inner pain somehow.
Do you know TongLen? Maybe it is already said here, sorry, I did not read the whole tread yet.

All the best.
MagnetSoulSP

Post by MagnetSoulSP »

muni wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:03 am Doctors have often not that time to listen. Not that they do not want but it is often not possible. However for right medicines they can help.

I feel that we people should more listen to each other, more just be there for each other. "Listening says more". Therefore this tread is a good reminder. The youtubes Johnny posted are by great compassion.

There are many people in this condition, if it could to include them into your heart and send them love, this could release inner pain somehow.
Do you know TongLen? Maybe it is already said here, sorry, I did not read the whole tread yet.

All the best.
Those videos don’t help when the negative talk is true, only when it’s false.

I also don’t know love so I can’t really include people in my heart or send anything. I only care if someone benefits me in some way, not about what they want.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Well Ardha, sounds like we can’t help you much then, good luck, hope you are able to find some peace and something that works for you.

I feel like the thread has largely run its course. As always if someone feels they have something else that must be said they can pm me.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”