Dealing with setbacks and obstacles

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
bodhiye

Dealing with setbacks and obstacles

Post by bodhiye »

I'm not able to finish some important works as they keep getting delayed repeatedly due to some or other reason, and when I make a little progress very soon obstacles occur. It's like taking one step ahead and being forced to move back many steps. Constant setbacks are making me stressed, upset and despondent.

How to react (or how to not react) in these kinds of situations?
What can be done to overcome endless obstacles?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Dealing with setbacks and obstacles

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Patience
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Patience is one of the most important buddhist skills. Without patience all Buddhist practice is in vain.
Without opportunities for training of patience we simply won't accomplish it ever.
Therefore we can be really thankful for every person and every phenomenon that challenges our patience.
Without setbacks and obstacles we wouldn't learn anything that brings us forward. We would never improve.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

bodhiye wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:45 am I'm not able to finish some important works as they keep getting delayed repeatedly due to some or other reason, and when I make a little progress very soon obstacles occur. It's like taking one step ahead and being forced to move back many steps. Constant setbacks are making me stressed, upset and despondent.

I hope that this video helps you

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

There was period of time that was extremely difficult for me, and it had lasted for 10 years.
It’s eye blinking.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

The spirituality of Saha realm is improving after COVID. That’s the word of my teacher. Stay positive and calm. It’s not easy.
It’s eye blinking.
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Thanks to everyone for replying.

How to be patient when unfavorable things happen? Are there any techniques that can be applied immediately to avoid getting agitated?
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

karmanyingpo wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:50 pm I hope that this video helps you
KN
Thank you. At 9:54 a fire incident is mentioned but I could not understand it.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

bodhiye wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:12 pm Thanks to everyone for replying.

How to be patient when unfavorable things happen? Are there any techniques that can be applied immediately to avoid getting agitated?
It takes time. Would need to understand one’s own mind.
It’s eye blinking.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

bodhiye wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:14 pm
KN
I am not fully familiar with what he is talking about but it seems he is talking about a symbol for obstacles turning into allies
Guru Padmasambhava's king (?) was mentioned and someone catching fire maybe (?) and their body turning into a lake with a lotus flower in the center which is a symbol of obstacles turning into allies?

KN
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

karmanyingpo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:09 pm
KN
I am not fully familiar with what he is talking about but it seems he is talking about a symbol for obstacles turning into allies
Guru Padmasambhava's king (?) was mentioned and someone catching fire maybe (?) and their body turning into a lake with a lotus flower in the center which is a symbol of obstacles turning into allies?

KN
The King of Zahor tried to burn Guru Rinpoche and his consort, Mandarava, alive. Guru Rinpoche transformed the pyre on which they were being burnt in to a lake and manifested unscathed, in the form of Guru Pema Jugne.

This story is recounted in many different supplications to Guru Rinpoche, and also, in his namthars. As always, there are slight variations.

This is probably what OCR is speaking about.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Charlie123 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:46 pm
karmanyingpo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:09 pm

KN
The King of Zahor tried to burn Guru Rinpoche and his consort, Mandarava, alive. Guru Rinpoche transformed the pyre on which they were being burnt in to a lake and manifested unscathed, in the form of Guru Pema Jugne.

This story is recounted in many different supplications to Guru Rinpoche, and also, in his namthars. As always, there are slight variations.

Thank you for sharing!

KN
muni

Post by muni »

bodhiye wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:45 am I'm not able to finish some important works as they keep getting delayed repeatedly due to some or other reason, and when I make a little progress very soon obstacles occur. It's like taking one step ahead and being forced to move back many steps. Constant setbacks are making me stressed, upset and despondent.

There was once a Yogi, ( forgot his name) who saw all obstacles he experienced, as kind of blessings. He could be happy by them, seeing them as going through the effects of his karma, which were then exhausted. It can sometimes be hard and losing courage then follows, but that as well passes.

It reminds me how many courage we need, not losing heart, for Bodhicitta to ripen.

All the best.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

You would be wise to find a qualified Teacher. :twothumbsup:
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

This is samsara. You’re learning the first Noble Truth and a key mind changer. The more weary you grow, the more the appetite to practice increases, IME.
bodhiye wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:45 am What can be done to overcome endless obstacles?
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

more than patience, resolve is needed. sometimes resolve expresses as patience, sometimes as bold action. patience alone is not enough sometimes. sometimes you must take action to overcome and remove obstacles. patiently waiting at the foot of a mountain isn't going to get you to the top. on the other hand, sometimes there is nothing that can be done but to wait out the storm. wisdom is necessary to know what is appropriate when.

not popular among most in the DW crowd, but there are very effective practices for cultivating the resolve and energy needed to navigate the world. patiently bobbing in the currents will of course get you somewhere. maybe not where you want to go, though.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Recite Avalokitesvara and Samantabhadra yo! They are great Buddhas.
It’s eye blinking.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Actually a good method in itself. Very easy to practice. Just sit take deep breaths and gently arise a peaceful thought towards them. I personally think this is the superb method.
It’s eye blinking.
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

LastLegend wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:04 pm

Yes! Yes!
bodhiye

Post by bodhiye »

Charlie123 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:46 pm

Thank you.
muni wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:32 am
There was once a Yogi, ( forgot his name) who saw all obstacles he experienced, as kind of blessings. He could be happy by them, seeing them as going through the effects of his karma, which were then exhausted. It can sometimes be hard and losing courage then follows, but that as well passes.

It reminds me how many courage we need, not losing heart, for Bodhicitta to ripen.

All the best.
Matt J wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:43 pm This is samsara. You’re learning the first Noble Truth and a key mind changer. The more weary you grow, the more the appetite to practice increases, IME.
bodhiye wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:45 am What can be done to overcome endless obstacles?
LastLegend wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:04 pm
LastLegend wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:29 pm Actually a good method in itself. Very easy to practice. Just sit take deep breaths and gently arise a peaceful thought towards them. I personally think this is the superb method.
Thank you all for the guidance.

amanitamusc wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:09 am You would be wise to find a qualified Teacher. :twothumbsup:
Yes! I think so too. Thanks.

Queequeg wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:37 pm
more than patience, resolve is needed. sometimes resolve expresses as patience, sometimes as bold action. patience alone is not enough sometimes. sometimes you must take action to overcome and remove obstacles. patiently waiting at the foot of a mountain isn't going to get you to the top. on the other hand, sometimes there is nothing that can be done but to wait out the storm. wisdom is necessary to know what is appropriate when.

not popular among most in the DW crowd, but there are very effective practices for cultivating the resolve and energy needed to navigate the world. patiently bobbing in the currents will of course get you somewhere. maybe not where you want to go, though.
wisdom is necessary to know what is appropriate when.

Thank you for the valuable advice!!

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”