Self Defense

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
coldbeer

Re: Self Defense

Post by coldbeer »

Definitely could be something.. thanks 👍
MagnetSoulSP

Post by MagnetSoulSP »

Könchok Chödrak wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:02 am
Ardha wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:53 pm I still think death is the only true answer to suffering if your goal is utter peace then the logical conclusion is to wipe out all life to prevent further suffering. Intense? Sure. But so is the goal of peace for all sentient beings.
There are a lot of red flags in this statement. I urge you to pursue Buddhism as a Spiritual Path and never give up on trying to find out how to end people's sadness in a Peaceful way, without thinking that any kind of hurt or killing would help them in any way (because such suffering does not bring peace). Instead learn about Buddhism and give people hope in the Dharma. Then you can learn the purpose of defending others and why there are Martial Arts and such and Buddhism's stance on them.
Peaceful seems debatable to some extent. Sure death of all living things might be violent, but can you weigh that moment against the suffering of a lifetime? I don't really think so, at least that's not really something I can logically defend. The only reason I see people thinking Buddhism is an answer is because they made up reincarnation so people wouldn't just off themselves.

Though it isn't really my place to take the lives of others. But I do see the wisdom in global annihilation if the end goal is peace and the end of suffering. Buddhism isn't really a guarantee to that end, despite what Buddha says. I'm also tired of the "misunderstanding" as an excuse. Religion likes to throw that one around a lot.

Suicide and annihilation might hurt others but it's the bias and attachment people have to life that prevents them from seeing why it's a viable method for the end of suffering. Not saying people would do it but without that bias they might see a bit more clearly.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Ardha wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:38 am think so, at least that's not really something I can logically defend. The only reason I see people thinking Buddhism is an answer is because they made up reincarnation so people wouldn't just off themselves.
If you aren't here to discuss Buddhism, and just want to make fun of the people here, you might want to go somewhere else.
Though it isn't really my place to take the lives of others. But I do see the wisdom in global annihilation if the end goal is peace and the end of suffering. Buddhism isn't really a guarantee to that end, despite what Buddha says. I'm also tired of the "misunderstanding" as an excuse. Religion likes to throw that one around a lot.
It's a polite way of telling you that you don't know what you're talking about. I'll dispense with that and say, as far as Buddhism goers, you simply have no idea what you're talking about and should educate yourself. That is, if you are even here to learn about Buddhism in the first place, which I increasingly doubt.

This edgelord nonsense about global annihilation is a waste of everyone's time.
Suicide and annihilation might hurt others but it's the bias and attachment people have to life that prevents them from seeing why it's a viable method for the end of suffering. Not saying people would do it but without that bias they might see a bit more clearly.
It's already been explained that to a Buddhist, suicide does not end suffering at all. Can you please do some basic reading on the subject matter this site is dedicated to? It's not some random Facebook group.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
jewel123

Post by jewel123 »

Hello! I am very concerned regarding the increased attacks on Asian American community. I keep thinking what should be my immediate response when I will be attacked verbally or physically. I am saying "when" because it is only the matter of time at this point. If I fight back verbally or physically does that mean I dishonor the Teachings and Bodhisattva vows? If I don't, then does it make it "ok" for the attacker to attack someone again?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

jewel123 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:32 am Hello! I am very concerned regarding the increased attacks on Asian American community. I keep thinking what should be my immediate response when I will be attacked verbally or physically. I am saying "when" because it is only the matter of time at this point. If I fight back verbally or physically does that mean I dishonor the Teachings and Bodhisattva vows? If I don't, then does it make it "ok" for the attacker to attack someone again?
It’s a bodhisattva’s obligation to defend themselves.
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

reiun wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:38 pm But if I did get a gun, it would be a pump action shotgun, kept unloaded. First sound of a break-in, open the bedroom door, grab the unloaded gun, and rack the slide. That awesome sound should be enough to deter any now outgunned invaders.
Were I the intruder the first thing you would hear is "what's that unfamiliar sound?" followed by "stand and deliver!". Also a supply of rock-salt may come in handy in case reality breaks the rule of the wise.

AND.....
I'm actually surprised no-one has mentioned carrying around a super bright torch. It's a fail safe where mobility and/or situational awareness falters.
reiun

Post by reiun »

Yup, culturally illiterate intruders would be clueless about the sound of a shotgun slide getting racked.

Super bright torch? Once it illuminates your fearsome mug, it will be all over, for sure!

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”