Jack Cornfield

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
kuanyin123

Jack Cornfield

Post by kuanyin123 »

I'm doing some articles on prominent American Buddhists. Right now I am working on Jack Cornfield. I have searched everywhere online and cannot find the most basic fact about this man. He was born in 1945 but nobody seems to know in which town/city in the United States he was born?

Does anybody know? Thanks!
Matt J

Re: Jack Cornfield

Post by Matt J »

Did you try Kornfield?

https://jackkornfield.com/bio/
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
kuanyin123

Post by kuanyin123 »

Ooops, yes Kornfield. I did check out that link this morning. However, have checked other websites but still no indication where he was born!!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

kuanyin123 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:20 pm Ooops, yes Kornfield. I did check out that link this morning. However, have checked other websites but still no indication where he was born!!
Maybe he thinks it's not worth mentioning.
justsit

Post by justsit »

https://www.lionsroar.com/meet-a-teache ... kornfield/

Marine base he mentions is likely Camp Lejeune.
reiun

Post by reiun »

Jack Kornfield birthday:
July 16, 1945
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

justsit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:25 am https://www.lionsroar.com/meet-a-teache ... kornfield/

Probably but there is more than one Marine base in North Carolina. Whether there was more than one in 1945 is left as an exercise for the researcher. :tongue:

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

justsit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:25 am https://www.lionsroar.com/meet-a-teache ... kornfield/

I checked, and Lejeune is the only Marine base in operation in North Carolina. It was established in 1941. There are 8 military bases in NC, but a quickly search turns up that only Lejeune is a Marine base.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Redfaery wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:59 pm

I checked, and Lejeune is the only Marine base in operation in North Carolina. It was established in 1941. There are 8 military bases in NC, but a quickly search turns up that only Lejeune is a Marine base.
No, there are also Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point and Marine Corps Air Station New River.

New River and Lejeune are both in the same city and people might fold them together in their minds (like we used to do sort of with Ft. Bliss and Biggs Air Force Base [which now is part of Ft Bliss but wasn't in the 80's]) and are less than 7 miles distant but Cherry Point is 53 miles away.

It is not likely that New River or Cherry Point were Marine bases in 1945 and if they did exist then they almost certainly weren't air stations but
it's not impossible. Secondly in 1945 there were many, many military installations that were decommissioned later so it is also not impossible that Kornfield was born at one of these sites.

Thus this question becomes a historical research side project.

And incredibly it turns out a quick look at Wikipedia turns up that both New River and Cherry Point existed as Marine designated stations in 1945. Whether either had dependent housing becomes the next question.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”