Are there any Buddhist doctors here? How do you balance your work/study and spiritual practice?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
buddhistdoc9

Are there any Buddhist doctors here? How do you balance your work/study and spiritual practice?

Post by buddhistdoc9 »

I'm at a point of decisions between further training and career paths, and would like to discuss with any other Buddhist doctors. Thank you.
pemachophel

Re: Are there any Buddhist doctors here? How do you balance your work/study and spiritual practice?

Post by pemachophel »

I was a doctor for 30 years. On the one hand, I had to make a living and practicing medicine was at least a helpful/helping occupation. On the other, it did take away from my formal practice. At times I felt quite split. However, just before I retired, I had the opportunity for parts of two years to treat Chatral Rinpoche. Honestly, I think the 30 years practice I put in was practice specifically for that. So looking back, no regrets.

When I retired, I was financially able to go into home retreat where I have been now for more than a dozen years.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
ThreeVows

Re: Are there any Buddhist doctors here? How do you balance your work/study and spiritual practice?

Post by ThreeVows »

I'm a primary care doctor, but I think we already talked on reddit. I assume you're the same person.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

work/study and spiritual practice?
What makes you think these are different?
buddhistdoc9

Post by buddhistdoc9 »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:46 pm
I think to progress in spiritual practice there is a need to dedicate time and effort to study Dharma, reflect on teachings, as well as meditation. (to develop wisdom).

When I have commitments to study things that are not Dharma teachings (like medical texts), as well as commitments to work in that job, it can be difficult to balance that with cultivating spiritual wisdom.

I understand it's possible to practice Dharma with everything that we do. For a person with a very solid foundation of spiritual practice, wisdom and compassion, they might be able to practice Dharma very well at all times doing anything. But for someone like myself, it's not so easy to say that work and study of medicine alone will necessarily lead to longterm benefits in a spiritual sense.
muni

Post by muni »

With a job like yours, there is great opportunity to put Dharma into Practice.

You cannot say to two wounded people; you there white one, don't go to sit, you brown skinned one, sit down my friend. Or some you would directly wish to help and other you neglect whatever is their pain, because of having another belief or being from another village. Perhaps this sounds ridiculous but it is how we are doing by karmic habits.

Then studying, reflecting, hearing, contemplating meditating could result into impartial care by insight.

A kind hearted doctor is improving the health of patients much more H H Dalai Lama said.

But I am deluded, and right now my arm is harmed, I'll come to you. Thank you to let me in.
:anjali:
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

For a person with a very solid foundation of spiritual practice, wisdom and compassion, they might be able to practice Dharma very well at all times doing anything.
Excuses, excuses, excuses.

If you really think there is a separation, then which one will you choose?
n8pee

Post by n8pee »

buddhistdoc9 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:50 am I'm at a point of decisions between further training and career paths, and would like to discuss with any other Buddhist doctors. Thank you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuthok_Nyingthig
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:09 am
For a person with a very solid foundation of spiritual practice, wisdom and compassion, they might be able to practice Dharma very well at all times doing anything.
Excuses, excuses, excuses.

If you really think there is a separation, then which one will you choose?
You are right, there should be no separation, we should be able to practise using any circumstances...
...but personally, I'm not there yet, are you?

I note the OP asked for help from others who shared their career circumstance, do you work as a doctor?
You know what they say, do not judge another until you've walked a hundred miles in their shoes.

And in case all of that is too subtle, your tone to me sounds accusatory and aggressive, not compassionate.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:46 pm
Of course there are differences as there would be in eating a plate full of shit compared to a plate of carrots.
In the first case it can be done but not without its difficulties but then you get the :smile: .Anyway....
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

And in case all of that is too subtle, your tone to me sounds accusatory and aggressive, not compassionate.
My apologies then if my tone seemed improper. I withdraw the word "excuses". I'll say "That is your view".

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”