some hints on how to live

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
master of puppets

some hints on how to live

Post by master of puppets »

As you become more and more deeply rooted in witnessing, thoughts start disappearing. You are, but the mind is utterly empty.

Meditation is letting your mind to wander in any direction and being aware of it.

"As one standing on a rocky crag
would see the people all around below,
so the wise one,
with the all-around eye,
having scaled the tower
made of Dhamma,
having crossed over sorrow,
gazes on those overwhelmed with sorrow,
conquered by aging & death."

Buddha (Itivuttaka)

To share happiness. And to have done something good Before leaving this life is sweet.

It is better to do nothing Than to do what is wrong. For whatever you do, you do to yourself. – Buddha

I've shared some of my notes. There are some hints on how to live.

"It is better to do nothing Than to do what is wrong. For whatever you do, you do to yourself."

This is a Buddha quote.

If there would be no religion but people know this, the world surely be a different place.
tkp67

Re: some hints on how to live

Post by tkp67 »

master of puppets wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:29 pm
"It is better to do nothing Than to do what is wrong. For whatever you do, you do to yourself."

This is a Buddha quote.

If there would be no religion but people know this, the world surely be a different place.
The problem is all people do know this but can't express it outside of the boundaries of their own capacity, condition and causes.

Fro example. The most psychopathic narcissist doesn't did not develop as such while possession unlimited empathy and fully developed compassion. In this example the person's ego represents the totality of existence and that what ever they do, they do to themself is never applied outside the ego because of narcissism and psychopathy are very real perceptive obstacles.

This is why the buddha put ignorance as a main catalyst to suffering.

When I find myself manufacturing a person's intent instead of giving them the benefit of assuming pure intent I do my best to step back and remind myself it is not beneficial. People are driven by intent that they aren't always clear of but it will make itself clear on its own. If I project this meaning from the forms that arise in my own mind I tend to limit the potential to what my own mind knows.

Having been doing this for some time I think many people don't look to evaluate their own thinking or behaviors let alone the root cause. I find challenging my own tendency to make things centric to my own perception makes my internal landscape more open.

:anjali:
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

master of puppets wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:29 pm As you become more and more deeply rooted in witnessing, thoughts start disappearing. You are, but the mind is utterly empty.

Meditation is letting your mind to wander in any direction and being aware of it.

"As one standing on a rocky crag
would see the people all around below,
so the wise one,
with the all-around eye,
having scaled the tower
made of Dhamma,
having crossed over sorrow,
gazes on those overwhelmed with sorrow,
conquered by aging & death."

Buddha (Itivuttaka)

To share happiness. And to have done something good Before leaving this life is sweet.

It is better to do nothing Than to do what is wrong. For whatever you do, you do to yourself. – Buddha

I've shared some of my notes. There are some hints on how to live.

This is a Buddha quote.

It's a very bad rendering, bordering on a misquote:

These particular words are from Dhammapada verse 314. In Buddharakkhita’s translation this is:

An evil deed is better left undone,
for such a deed torments one afterwards.
But a good deed is better done,
doing which one repents not later.

Thanissaro’s version of verse 314 is:

It’s better to leave a misdeed undone.
A misdeed burns you afterward.
Better that a good deed be done
that, after you’ve done it,
won’t make you burn.

https://fakebuddhaquotes.com/it-is-bett ... -is-wrong/
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

No, this is called “spacing out.”
master of puppets

I'm sorry. I'm a a liar of twitter. Take it from buddha quotes.

Sometimes the writers may put in their comments.

Sounds pretty true when examine with my knowledge.

But whether true or false words made a big affect on me.

🙏
Last edited by master of puppets on Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
master of puppets

Malcolm wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:43 pm
And what is wrong with being aware of the thoughts?
philji

Post by philji »

Is not spacing out being unaware???
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Two questions, if you don't mind:

1. Do you think this idea is the result of misunderstanding the maxim "thoughts arise and cease within the state of Rigpa" which is often how it is expressed (somewhat) in order to teach not to suppress thoughts?

2. Isn't it still better than letting your mind wander without being aware of it? Or equally useless?
Last edited by Arnoud on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

philji wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:56 pm
Is not spacing out being unaware???
No, it’s letting your mind be lost among sense objects.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Arnoud wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:08 pm

1. Do you think this idea is the result of misunderstanding the maxim "thoughts arise and cease within the state of Rigpa" which is often how it is expressed (somewhat) in order to teach not to suppress thoughts?

2. Isn't it still better than letting your mind wander without being aware of it? Or equally useless?
The kind of instruction given above lacks any context. It’s one if those things that sounds nice, lacks substance. We are not talking about Dzogchen here.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:19 pm
Arnoud wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:08 pm

The kind of instruction given above lacks any context. It’s one if those things that sounds nice, lacks substance. We are not talking about Dzogchen here.
Understood.

[Mod note: This topic has been locked in May 2022 due to old age.]

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”