Sutra recordings and merit

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Sutra recordings and merit

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

my friend told me I have a nice soothing voice and should make recordings of reading sutras and such and share it online, so maybe people can listen to it etc. And sounds like a nice thing to do and a fun little hobby, so why not. But! It made me wonder, Is listening/playing sutra recordings an activity creating merit? Would me, recording it be the same as for example copying the text? What do you guys think?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
karmanyingpo

Re: Sutra recordings and merit

Post by karmanyingpo »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:36 am Hi,

my friend told me I have a nice soothing voice and should make recordings of reading sutras and such and share it online, so maybe people can listen to it etc. And sounds like a nice thing to do and a fun little hobby, so why not. But! It made me wonder, Is listening/playing sutra recordings an activity creating merit? Would me, recording it be the same as for example copying the text? What do you guys think?
My un qualified intuition says yes it seems to me to be the same concept in essense of creating a written copy just through audio recording? Would be nice to get a teachers input on this. I feel its basically the same as copying a sutra though, just in audio form, rather then in writing. And on a practical level it is a way to spread the Dharma..... :anjali:

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Yes, it is a good way to accumulate merit and even within many Sūtras themselves the Buddha states that there is great benefit to those who recite (meaning to share with others) even a few lines.

I think it should be noted that merit-gaining activities really only provide an opportunity to acquire merit. One’s own motivation (imagine a sliding scale running from “totally selfish” to “totally selfless”) really determines the effect engaging in such activities produces.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:48 am Yes, it is a good way to accumulate merit and even within many Sūtras themselves the Buddha states that there is great benefit to those who recite (meaning to share with others) even a few lines.

I think it should be noted that merit-gaining activities really only provide an opportunity to acquire merit. One’s own motivation (imagine a sliding scale running from “totally selfish” to “totally selfless”) really determines the effect engaging in such activities produces.
O , hadn't thought of recitation and audio recording basically being the same. That's a duh moment for me.

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

karmanyingpo wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:40 am
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:48 am Yes, it is a good way to accumulate merit and even within many Sūtras themselves the Buddha states that there is great benefit to those who recite (meaning to share with others) even a few lines.

O , hadn't thought of recitation and audio recording basically being the same. That's a duh moment for me.

KN
...any time you make the dharma teachings available to people, or contribute to them being made available, supporting temples and so on, the opportunity for accumulating merit is there.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:48 am I think it should be noted that merit-gaining activities really only provide an opportunity to acquire merit. One’s own motivation (imagine a sliding scale running from “totally selfish” to “totally selfless”) really determines the effect engaging in such activities produces.
Oh this! :good: Thanks man! Yeah, definitely that is the core.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:15 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:48 am I think it should be noted that merit-gaining activities really only provide an opportunity to acquire merit. One’s own motivation (imagine a sliding scale running from “totally selfish” to “totally selfless”) really determines the effect engaging in such activities produces.
Oh this! :good: Thanks man! Yeah, definitely that is the core.
Even if you are doing it for 100% selfish reasons, I encourage you to do so anyways because audio recordsings stand to help people who want to engage with the teachings but have difficulty reading them.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

If your heart is in it, it will make a lot of merit for you and everyone who hears. Some people have a love of brush and ink, and their copying of sutras will be very meritorious. Some people have a love of sound and the voice, and their chanting and reciting of sutras will be very meritorious.

Many people in Chinese culture will listen to audio of sutras or mantras as a practice, even if they don't know what it says. Sometimes they'll just listen to it in the background.

And there is this feeling that when you recite the sutras aloud, it will benefit and bring merit to all the beings around you... humans, animals, ghosts and spirits, even devas will come to worship the dharma coming from your lips. It is very good to do.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

If your mind and motivation aren't pure some days, the power of the Dharma you are reading out loud will purify you and everyone who hears it. It's a win-win situation. The only thing we stand to lose is our afflictions.
TMT

Post by TMT »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:36 am Would me, recording it be the same as for example copying the text? What do you guys think?
Check out Kyabje Lama Zopa Rinpoches articles on the Arya Sanghata Sutra. That would be a great one to record. Rinpoche talks about a time when he played a recording of that sutra very loud in a car with the windows down like the young people listening to loud music lol. The sutra talks about the incredible benefits of even hearing just one four line verse and states the immeasurable benefits of reciting it. Check out the Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archives under the section of Sanghata Sutra. There will be great stuff in there that should inspire you. Even check out Kirti Tsenshab Rinpoche on youtube reciting it. His voice is mesmerizing.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”