Wearing buddhist symbols

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Riku19

Wearing buddhist symbols

Post by Riku19 »

Is it considered disrespectful wearing certain symbols meaningful to buddhism such as the dharmachakra or the triratna (three jewels symbol)?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Wearing buddhist symbols

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Riku19 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:20 pm Is it considered disrespectful wearing certain symbols meaningful to buddhism such as the dharmachakra or the triratna (three jewels symbol)?
Why would it be?

I mean treating as just a fashion accessory is probably not good, but the basic answer is of course not.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
Riku19

Post by Riku19 »

Thanks! Sorry if it sounded like a stupid question, but I wasn't really sure about that. Some religions warn their followers against wearing religious symbols as it may lead to vanity, so I wanted to be sure about that.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Riku19 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:35 pm Thanks! Sorry if it sounded like a stupid question, but I wasn't really sure about that. Some religions warn their followers against wearing religious symbols as it may lead to vanity, so I wanted to be sure about that.
It kind of depends on one's motivation I think. If you are trying to advertise being Buddhist, or doing it just for fashion etc. it might be a questionable decision. Buddhist jewelry is pretty common among diverse groups of Buddhists though. There are vows that lay people sometimes take to not wear adornments or use makeup, these are specific practices. I do not know what the Vinaya says about jewelry for ordained people.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

In any predominantly Buddhist country you can find all sorts of jewelry featuring dharma symbols and imagery.

www.chuan-der.com.tw

In the west, Buddhist symbols can be found on hats, bags, and tee shirts, often sold to raise money for Buddhist projects.

In India, large events for gatherings monks of monks (look up monlam sometimes give participating monks and nuns pins and tote bags featuring Dharma images.

What is generally regarded as disrespectful would be Buddhist images on swimwear, stretch pants, shoes or socks, anything worn below the waist.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”