Cockroaches

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
avatamsaka3

Cockroaches

Post by avatamsaka3 »

How can I get rid of cockroaches in a room without spraying stuff? I don't want to harm them.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Cockroaches

Post by Queequeg »

You have to find their nest(s) and clear it(them) out. Alternatively, remove all food; no food, no roaches. If you live in an urban place, very difficult to get rid of them. No matter how good of a job you do... they will find a way back in.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Upaya Chapter

純一実相。実相外。更無別法。法性寂然名止。寂而常渉照名観。
There is only reality; there is nothing separate from reality. The naturally tranquil nature of dharmas is shamatha. The abiding luminosity of tranquility is vipashyana.

-From Guanding's Introduction to Zhiyi's Great Shamatha and Vipashyana
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Nest? Where would that be?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:24 am Nest? Where would that be?
Normally in a damp, warm, dark space: under a kitchen sink, for example.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

i would give them a ride through the toilet; they'll find their way in the sewers.. :shrug:
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

No no, I take them outside.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Back in NYC in 1970-74, my Teachers were in the habit of leaving out lots of food offerings. Needless to say, we developed a huge roach problem. However, They wouldn't even consider exterminating them. Since Their apartment was also our center, we all became very intimately connected with roaches. During the summer when it was very hot and muggy, we'd be sitting meditating dripping with sweat. The roaches would climb up on us and, I guess, drink the sweat or eat the salt. In any case, sometimes it actually hurt like a bite by a fly. Our Teacher was very, very strict and we were not allowed to move hair. So we'd have to sit there with roaches crawling on us and biting us. Those of us that lived in tenements also had roaches in our apartments no matter how hard we tried to keep them clean. They'd eat the glue from book bindings. All our Dharma texts were speckled with roach poop and the backs of our devotional pictures were all roach motels speckled with poop. I will never forget, at least not in this life, the smell of roach poop. I and my Dharma friends became very expert in sexing roaches and recognizing their stages of development. In any case, it was a NYC version of Patrul Rinpoche's feeding the blood-sucking insects with His own blood.

Eventually some of us moved upstate to our "retreat" property and were roach-free. So incredibly important to come to recognize all sentient beings as our old mothers.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Just try to kep your eyes closed until a few seconds after turning on the light;). This was our method in Albuquerque, NM, which is littered with them.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
Brahma

Post by Brahma »

pemachophel wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:53 pm Back in NYC in 1970-74, my Teachers were in the habit of leaving out lots of food offerings. Needless to say, we developed a huge roach problem. However, They wouldn't even consider exterminating them. Since Their apartment was also our center, we all became very intimately connected with roaches. During the summer when it was very hot and muggy, we'd be sitting meditating dripping with sweat. The roaches would climb up on us and, I guess, drink the sweat or eat the salt. In any case, sometimes it actually hurt like a bite by a fly. Our Teacher was very, very strict and we were not allowed to move hair. So we'd have to sit there with roaches crawling on us and biting us. Those of us that lived in tenements also had roaches in our apartments no matter how hard we tried to keep them clean. They'd eat the glue from book bindings. All our Dharma texts were speckled with roach poop and the backs of our devotional pictures were all roach motels speckled with poop. I will never forget, at least not in this life, the smell of roach poop. I and my Dharma friends became very expert in sexing roaches and recognizing their stages of development. In any case, it was a NYC version of Patrul Rinpoche's feeding the blood-sucking insects with His own blood.

Eventually some of us moved upstate to our "retreat" property and were roach-free. So incredibly important to come to recognize all sentient beings as our old mothers.
This is true Buddhist life!

Namo Buddhaya!
Last edited by Brahma on Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Back in NYC in 1970-74, my Teachers were in the habit of leaving out lots of food offerings. Needless to say, we developed a huge roach problem...
I am totally amazed by this story. Just wow.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”