Does a Buddha experience insomnia?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
PadmaVonSamba

Does a Buddha experience insomnia?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

If a Buddha is in a constantly awakened state, does he or she experience insomnia?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Aemilius

Re: Does a Buddha experience insomnia?

Post by Aemilius »

Guide To Buddhism A To Z

SLEEP

Sleep (niddà or seyyà) is a natural state characterized by reduced bodily movement, limited reaction to external stimuli and loss of consciousness. It has been estimated that the average person spends about a third of his or her life sleeping. The biological function of sleep seems to be to rejuvenate the body and the mind by giving them complete rest. However, sleeping beyond the required amount, insufficient or irregular sleep can seriously affect one's physical and psychological well-being, a fact that the Buddha was fully aware of. He told his lay disciples that sleeping after daybreak and being up all night would have a negative impact on their lives (D.III,185). He also realized that because monks and nuns do not have to work and have ample free time, that they can all too easily slip into the habit of sleeping rather than meditating or studying. Hence his frequent reminder to them that they should not be `fond of sleeping' (niddàràma, A.III,116; It.72; Sn.96). He said: `When one is lazy, gluttonous, snoozing and lolling on the bed like a great fat pig, he will be reborn again and again'(Dhp.325).

We read that the Buddha would sometimes take an afternoon nap or siesta (divàseyyà), although this was probably only after he had become quite old. An ascetic named Saccaka once asked the Buddha if he slept in the afternoon and he replied: `I can recall that in the last month of the hot season after returning from my alms round and having eaten my meal that I would fold my robe into four, spread it out, lie down and go to sleep mindfully and fully aware.' Saccaka sniffed: `Some would call that abiding in delusion' (M.I,250).

The Buddha observed that our behaviour while awake can sometimes have an effect during sleep. Being immoral or cruel, for example, can cause insomnia or restless sleep. `When the fool is on his couch or bed or lying on the ground, the evil actions he has done in the past descend on him, settle on him, lie on him, just as the shadow of a mountain in the late afternoon descends, settles and lies on the earth. At that time the fool thinks ßI have not done what is beautiful or skilful. I have not protected myself against the fearful. Then he is uneasy and troubled, he weeps and despairs' (condensed, M.III,164-5). Likewise, a person who has a loving disposition `sleeps happily, wakes happily and has no bad dreams' (sukhaü supati, sukhaü pañibhujjhati, na pàpakaü supinaü passati, A.V.342).

The Buddha said that sound and peaceful rest is one of the many positive results of being enlightened. `The enlightened one, done with sensual pleasures, free from acquisitions and with a cool heart, always sleeps happily. When attachments are chopped off, the heart is carefree, and the mind is at peace, and the serene one sleeps well'(S.I,212).

Those practising meditation sometimes find that they become drowsy after meals (bhattasammada), start nodding (pacàla) and have to struggle to keep awake despite having had sufficient sleep. This is one of the recognized hindrances to meditation and the Buddha gave this practical advice for helping overcome it. `When thoughts that encourage drowsiness arise you should not give attention to them. If having done this the drowsiness does not go you should ponder the Dhamma as you have learned it, you should examine it and think about it. If having done this the drowsiness does not go you should recite the Dhamma as you have learned it. If having done this the drowsiness does not go you should pull both ear lobes and rub your limbs with your hands. If having done this the drowsiness does not go you should get up and having washed your face look around and gaze upwards to the starry constellations. If having done so the drowsiness does not go you should imagine a light and focus on it whether it is daytime or night. Thus open and clear the mind will become bright. If having done so the drowsiness does not go you should turn your senses inwards and walk up and down with full awareness. If having done all this the drowsiness still does not go you should mindfully lie down on your right side placing one foot on the other (and when rested) get straight up thinking: I must not indulge in the pleasure of sleeping, reclining and torpor'. (condensed, A.IV,86-7).
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Sleeping Buddhas are asleep.
Waking Buddhas are awake.

No suffering. That’s my understanding.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

What reason is there to think that "awakened" has anything to do with sleeping/not sleeping at night?
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I don't know about a Buddha, but there is lucid dreaming and conscious sleeping. It is possible to be "awake" and also sleep at the same time.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:13 am If a Buddha is in a constantly awakened state, does he or she experience insomnia?
No experience.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Some do a meditation that can replace sleep.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:13 am If a Buddha is in a constantly awakened state, does he or she experience insomnia?
Depends on the type of Buddha I guess.

A Buddha in Mahayana is displaying waking and sleeping for the benefit of beings

Some other variants would genuinely be sleeping but in an unafflicted way
haha

Post by haha »

We might have this type of question in our own way. Then we might have the solution in our own way, too.

Indeed, the Buddha is in a constantly awakened state. However, this awakened state has nothing to do with common people waking state (jagrata) which has full function of worldly types of mind and mental factors.

Insomnia is denoted by some kind of sleep disorder. It is a kind of imbalance due to mind and mental factors or due to imbalance in elements and pranas. How could such beings, who have transcended both kinds of obscuration, be affected by ignorance (i.e. included in mind and mental factors). For normal people it is the pitch darkness, for them it is a light.

There were some remarks by Ven. Anuruddha that he had even overcome "the drowsiness after meals". But it was quite interesting to know he overcame it several years later after attaining the Arhathood. At that time, I had a question (when I had this type of speculation). If they (i.e. new/beginner arhats) did experience of drowsiness due to the meal, then what would happen if they drink Vodka or put them under the anesthesia? Even though they overcame sloth and torpor, they still had to overcome drowsiness after meals. Regarding Vodka or anesthesia as the food. However, Indian Mahasiddha gave different light of understanding in this matter.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”