Are the 4 noble truths about death

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tomschwarz

Are the 4 noble truths about death

Post by tomschwarz »

Hello friends,

As Buddhists we base our wisdom practice on the 4 noble truths. Are those the truths of life and of death?

Assuming that all which is not alive is dead, do the 4 noble truths apply to death? For example, the first noble truth. Is the first noble truth "of death", the truth of suffing (suffering of suffering, suffering of change, suffering of conditioned existance)?

If yes and yes, then riddle me this, is enlightenment being alive, being dead, or neither? How so? Why ?
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
muni

Re: Are the 4 noble truths about death

Post by muni »

Wondering what is life? Mind plans, mind remembers, mind is looking for more and more things, as much as possible interesting things, hopes to get inspired to be happy, mind wants to hold what is making happy and great and does not want what is not. Always lost in phenomena.

It seems to me all this chasing after phenomena is clouding to see mind itself, runs away from "what is to see". Buddhist is nangpa looks inside.

The one who can finally relax, comes home = dying while alive? Then what?

_/\_ _/\_ _/\_
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

make yourself a cup of tea.

:tongue:
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

muni wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:38 am Wondering what is life? Mind plans, mind remembers, mind is looking for more and more things, as much as possible interesting things, hopes to get inspired to be happy, mind wants to hold what is making happy and great and does not want what is not. Always lost in phenomena.

It seems to me all this chasing after phenomena is clouding to see mind itself, runs away from "what is to see". Buddhist is nangpa looks inside.

The one who can finally relax, comes home = dying while alive? Then what?

_/\_ _/\_ _/\_

Right. We are born, and so intetested, in all the/our possibilities in this world. Then buddhism teaches us to develop a disdain for this life, better to have never been born at all.

Appropo the first noble truth is the truth that life sucks. And the final analysis of happiness in buddhism, i would agree, is in many ways like dying.

So i am going to say that they are the four noble truths of the human mind, though the first truth, in part at least, applies to animals.

They are the truths of our mind in life and quite likely, or at least reasonably likely, after this life ends. Funny word "death" because it generally means everything, forever, after this life. Then Buddhists add the twist that while you stay dead forever actually some very subtle part of your mind lives on.... all very unclear, I know.

But do you know what the antidote for that is?? 8 verses on training the mind))) whoohoo!!!! Buddhist wisdom practice. Good stuff. I am going to relax in that warm bath of eternal peace and i invite you all to join (in your own tubs)
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”