Can any one help me know if I was born on Guru Rinpoche Day?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Lending

Can any one help me know if I was born on Guru Rinpoche Day?

Post by Lending »

I just had a question really... I'm looking for someone who is a practicing Buddhist who can confirm something for me. I personally am moved by the stories about Padmasambhava or Guru Rinpoche. I wondered whether or not I was born on His day. It is said that He visits on the 10th day after a New Moon and whether one can see him or not depends on their level of spiritual obscuration. I was born at around 7:50pm June 10th, 1984. From my estimate it seems that fell on the night of the 9th and maybe extends to the night of the 10th but I'm not really sure. I suppose it means nothing special as the dharma is for everyone, but there are such things as auspicious times in a calendar.

Anyway, another thing... Months ago as I was asleep, I was startled by talking. I heard a voice speak as if they were talking with another about me, hearing one say, "If he only knew he was a Rinpoche." I know it means "precious jewel" and I have made no definite assertion about that. As far as I've taken it, it was God of my higher-self trying to soften my heart by inspiring me to listen to my true-self. I did wonder if this was some sign that I should look more into Buddhism at least but, at present, I can say I feel no desire to be known as a Buddhist (through conversion).

Anyway, thanks to those of you who assist me in this question! Love and Blessings!
Vasana

Re: Can any one help me know if I was born on Guru Rinpoche Day?

Post by Vasana »

I don't know about the 10th day thing but with an interest in Guru Rinpoche and a night time experience like that, you should definitely continue learning about Buddha Dharma at a pace you are comfortable with.

It's worth pointing out that Rinpoche's aren't bound by birth to special calendar days. It's also worth pointing out that having past life training and accomplishment doesn't mean that you will effortlessly regain any realizations from past lives unless there are supportive conditions in this life. In his special message at the end of the Kagyu Monlam, the Karmpa mentioned a quote from previous master who said that in an ideal situation, after study, even Tulkus still need 12 years of close guidance, training and practice to fullu allow any latent propensities and potentials to manifest.

Since each life brings us further in to the degenerate age where the afflictions are incited even more intensely and frequently by modern society, being a Tulku or reincarnate master doesn't make things easier by default when outer and inner conditions aren not harmonious....So whether or not you get any confirmation, remember from the offset that there's still an enormous ammount of hard work to be put in.

Reading the life story's and namthars of previous masters is an excelleny way to learn about the dharma and to foster even more inspiration.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Lending wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:04 pm I just had a question really... I'm looking for someone who is a practicing Buddhist who can confirm something for me. I personally am moved by the stories about Padmasambhava or Guru Rinpoche. I wondered whether or not I was born on His day. It is said that He visits on the 10th day after a New Moon and whether one can see him or not depends on their level of spiritual obscuration. I was born at around 7:50pm June 10th, 1984. From my estimate it seems that fell on the night of the 9th and maybe extends to the night of the 10th but I'm not really sure. I suppose it means nothing special as the dharma is for everyone, but there are such things as auspicious times in a calendar.

Anyway, another thing... Months ago as I was asleep, I was startled by talking. I heard a voice speak as if they were talking with another about me, hearing one say, "If he only knew he was a Rinpoche." I know it means "precious jewel" and I have made no definite assertion about that. As far as I've taken it, it was God of my higher-self trying to soften my heart by inspiring me to listen to my true-self. I did wonder if this was some sign that I should look more into Buddhism at least but, at present, I can say I feel no desire to be known as a Buddhist (through conversion).

Anyway, thanks to those of you who assist me in this question! Love and Blessings!
Dude, even if you were a Rinpoche, you'd still have to listen to dharma, think about it and practice it very hard. Somewhere I read that even for true tulkus it still takes 12 years of intensive meditation retreat to really be able to benefit beings. What you shoud definetly do is check your ego. I sometimes myself got lost and still do honestly in fantasy, imagining things like "what if I were a tulku" or "what if I were a teacher" it is useless, trust me. And even if you were a "Rinpoche" then what? You might be tulku, but that by itself means nothing. Either study dharma because you know and feel that life is full of suffering and buddha, dharma and sangha are the true jewels of refuge or dont.

If you hear voices then be careful and watch yourself, maybe it would be good to visit doctor if they appear often.

As my teacher Choegyal Namkhai Norbu said
In general, many people have a strong ego. They think, “Oh I know everything”. Some people even qualify themselves. They feel, “Oh I am not normal, I am a special person, I am a daka, or dakini”. This means one is not daka or dakini, but is conditioned by one’s ego. - Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Sorry if I am too harsh. Best wishes
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Lending wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:04 pm I just had a question really... I'm looking for someone who is a practicing Buddhist who can confirm something for me. I personally am moved by the stories about Padmasambhava or Guru Rinpoche. I wondered whether or not I was born on His day. It is said that He visits on the 10th day after a New Moon and whether one can see him or not depends on their level of spiritual obscuration. I was born at around 7:50pm June 10th, 1984. From my estimate it seems that fell on the night of the 9th and maybe extends to the night of the 10th but I'm not really sure. I suppose it means nothing special as the dharma is for everyone, but there are such things as auspicious times in a calendar.
June 10th 1984 was the 12th day of the fifth lunar month according to both the Tsurphu and the Phugpa calendar.
I once dreamed I was rich, famous and powerful, or was it a nightmare?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Way to encourage someone, guys.
I did wonder if this was some sign that I should look more into Buddhism at least
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Vasana wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:25 pm Way to encourage someone, guys.
I did wonder if this was some sign that I should look more into Buddhism at least

You've got to love that old-fashioned DW charm.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
muni

Post by muni »

Hi there,

Not exactly what you are asking, but your topic reminds me on:
.. let devotion flood your body, speech and mind, and pray, pray with these seven lines:

ཧཱུྃ༔ ཨོ་རྒྱན་ཡུལ་གྱི་ནུབ་བྱང་མཚམས༔

hung, orgyen yul gyi nubjang tsam

Hūṃ! In the north-west of the land of Oḍḍiyāna

པདྨ་གེ་སར་སྡོང་པོ་ལ༔

pema gesar dongpo la

In the heart of a lotus flower,

ཡ་མཚན་མཆོག་གི་དངོས་གྲུབ་བརྙེས༔

yatsen chok gi ngödrub nyé

Endowed with the most marvellous attainments,

པདྨ་འབྱུང་གནས་ཞེས་སུ་གྲགས༔

pema jungné shyé su drak

You are renowned as the ‘Lotus-born’,

འཁོར་དུ་མཁའ་འགྲོ་མང་པོས་བསྐོར༔

khor du khandro mangpö kor

Surrounded by many hosts of ḍākinīs

ཁྱེད་ཀྱི་རྗེས་སུ་བདག་བསྒྲུབ་ཀྱི༔

khyé kyi jesu dak drub kyi

Following in your footsteps,

བྱིན་གྱིས་བརླབ་ཕྱིར་གཤེགས་སུ་གསོལ༔

jingyi lab chir shek su sol

I pray to you: Come, inspire me with your blessing!

གུ་རུ་པདྨ་སིདྡྷི་ཧཱུྃ༔

guru pema siddhi hung

guru pema siddhi hūṃ

http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-mas ... ine-prayer
Lending

Post by Lending »

Vasana wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:53 am I don't know about the 10th day thing but with an interest in Guru Rinpoche and a night time experience like that, you should definitely continue learning about Buddha Dharma at a pace you are comfortable with.

It's worth pointing out that Rinpoche's aren't bound by birth to special calendar days. It's also worth pointing out that having past life training and accomplishment doesn't mean that you will effortlessly regain any realizations from past lives unless there are supportive conditions in this life. In his special message at the end of the Kagyu Monlam, the Karmpa mentioned a quote from previous master who said that in an ideal situation, after study, even Tulkus still need 12 years of close guidance, training and practice to fullu allow any latent propensities and potentials to manifest.

Since each life brings us further in to the degenerate age where the afflictions are incited even more intensely and frequently by modern society, being a Tulku or reincarnate master doesn't make things easier by default when outer and inner conditions aren not harmonious....So whether or not you get any confirmation, remember from the offset that there's still an enormous ammount of hard work to be put in.

Reading the life story's and namthars of previous masters is an excelleny way to learn about the dharma and to foster even more inspiration.
Thank you for responding, firstly. I do intend to learn more of the "Buddha Dharma" as you suggested ('at a space I am comfortable with',) obviously. I thank you for the encouragement. Of course, I agree that there's no special connection that acts as a standard bounding Rinpoches to special days. I merely was being inquisitive and figured there could be some thread to follow.

I'm a believer in Ascension and the work of incarnating for the purpose of helping humanity, fulfilling one's duty as a Bodhisattva. How one receives their training is not as important to me as than that they do get it. I believe we do, being naturally led by the guru or higher self who leads us into many situations in order to help us evolve as spiritual beings. To my knowledge, that may include having incarnations of being western men and women and dealing with daily situations and obstacles. (A good example is Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche's son Gesar Mukpo as the reincarnation of Shechen Kongtrul Rinpoche.)

I will continue reading what I can as I am guided. Thanks again, Vansana.
Lending

Post by Lending »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:22 am
June 10th 1984 was the 12th day of the fifth lunar month according to both the Tsurphu and the Phugpa calendar.
I once dreamed I was rich, famous and powerful, or was it a nightmare?
Grigoris, thank you so much for looking that up for me! I see! So, no, I was not born on Guru Rinpoche's Day! Cleared!

Concerning your own dream, you tell me! You're in the only position to know! What I feel pretty sure about is whether it was a dream or reality, that life would still end up a nightmare. :lol:
Lending

Post by Lending »

Miroku wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:53 am

Dude, even if you were a Rinpoche, you'd still have to listen to dharma, think about it and practice it very hard. Somewhere I read that even for true tulkus it still takes 12 years of intensive meditation retreat to really be able to benefit beings. What you shoud definetly do is check your ego. I sometimes myself got lost and still do honestly in fantasy, imagining things like "what if I were a tulku" or "what if I were a teacher" it is useless, trust me. And even if you were a "Rinpoche" then what? You might be tulku, but that by itself means nothing. Either study dharma because you know and feel that life is full of suffering and buddha, dharma and sangha are the true jewels of refuge or dont.

If you hear voices then be careful and watch yourself, maybe it would be good to visit doctor if they appear often.

As my teacher Choegyal Namkhai Norbu said
In general, many people have a strong ego. They think, “Oh I know everything”. Some people even qualify themselves. They feel, “Oh I am not normal, I am a special person, I am a daka, or dakini”. This means one is not daka or dakini, but is conditioned by one’s ego. - Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Sorry if I am too harsh. Best wishes

Um, I don't think whether one is confirmed a Tulku, Rinpoche, or any other elevated spiritual title is really that important. At least, not as you project it to be for me; though I think by your own reply in being empathetic, you mention you own self-aggrandizing thoughts. Maybe that's why you may appear so forceful in your encouragement... I'll take that. Thanks!
Lending

Post by Lending »

dzogchungpa wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:39 pm

LOL. It happens. I'm sure it's not entirely to be mean. I think of it as just 'being very passionate'.
Criticism is necessary for growth. It's very human to encourage in the others the same growth we are striving to make. It's Love in another degree.
Lending

Post by Lending »

muni wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:52 am Hi there,

.. let devotion flood your body, speech and mind, and pray, pray with these seven lines:

པདྨ་གེ་སར་སྡོང་པོ་ལ༔

pema gesar dongpo la

pema jungné shyé su drak

གུ་རུ་པདྨ་སིདྡྷི་ཧཱུྃ༔

guru pema siddhi hung

guru pema siddhi hūṃ

Thank you for sharing this! The Vajra Guru Mantra was one of the first mantra meditations I used over a year ago! I believe in the Guru's blessings!
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Lending wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:53 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:39 pm

LOL. It happens. I'm sure it's not entirely to be mean. I think of it as just 'being very passionate'.
Criticism is necessary for growth. It's very human to encourage in the others the same growth we are striving to make. It's Love in another degree.
Good attitude! Some others who visit aren't so resilient to DWs charm and masterful tact.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Lending wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:56 pm

པདྨ་གེ་སར་སྡོང་པོ་ལ༔

pema gesar dongpo la

pema jungné shyé su drak

གུ་རུ་པདྨ་སིདྡྷི་ཧཱུྃ༔

guru pema siddhi hung

guru pema siddhi hūṃ

Thank you for sharing this! The Vajra Guru Mantra was one of the first mantra meditations I used over a year ago! I believe in the Guru's blessings!

Guru Rinpoche fire af fam.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Lending

Post by Lending »

dzogchungpa wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:46 pm
Lending wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Guru Rinpoche fire af fam.
:rofl:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”