If my dog is deaf does he get any benefit from me saying Om mani padme hung when he's in the room?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Karma Chyizom

If my dog is deaf does he get any benefit from me saying Om mani padme hung when he's in the room?

Post by Karma Chyizom »

This may seem like a silly question but when I meditate our dogs are usually in the room (our beagle will raise a huge racket otherwise). I was thinking today that they must get a benefit from hearing me say Om mani padme hung, but then I remembered our border collie is deaf. So I was wondering does he get any spiritual benefit from just being in the room where I'm saying it?
Namaste
Samantha
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: If my dog is deaf does he get any benefit from me saying Om mani padme hung when he's in the room?

Post by Grigoris »

If your dog was not deaf, would they get any benefit... ?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Karma Chyizom

Re: If my dog is deaf does he get any benefit from me saying Om mani padme hung when he's in the room?

Post by Karma Chyizom »

Yes, because other dog can hear it. I'm very new to Buddhism but I've read if you whisper a mantra into their ears it helps their rebirth. That's why I'm wondering if he gets the benefit without being able to hear it. Like if he...gets the...vibes or something. Maybe I'm not explaining myself very well.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Karma Chyizom wrote:This may seem like a silly question but when I meditate our dogs are usually in the room (our beagle will raise a huge racket otherwise). I was thinking today that they must get a benefit from hearing me say Om mani padme hung, but then I remembered our border collie is deaf. So I was wondering does he get any spiritual benefit from just being in the room where I'm saying it?
Namaste
Samantha
From the Karandavyuha Sutra, which is the origin of the Mani, says of those that are reciting the Mani:
  • “Those who inhale that person’s breath, whether in love or in anger, will become irreversible bodhisattvas. They will quickly attain the highest complete enlightenment and be samyaksaṃbuddhas.

All those who just touch that person with their clothing will become bodhisattvas in their last existence.

Women, men, boys, and girls who just see that person, and even the deer, birds, oxen, donkeys, and so on, who see that person, will all become bodhisattvas in their last existence. They will not experience the suffering of birth, ageing, sickness, death, and separation from the beloved. They will become inconceivable yogins.”

In that way the Bhagavat encouraged the repetition of the six-syllable mahāvidyā.
http://read.84000.co/#UT22084-051-004/part%20one
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Even merely seeing the mantra brings benefit and can sow a seed of future liberation.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

As I learned it, if you blow on an animal with your breath after reciting the Mani, that will create a beneficial karmic connection and cause them to take fortunate rebirth in the higher realms, at very least. Lamas will recite the Mani over sick and dying animals and then blow on them for this reason.

The breath is imbued with the power of the mantra, which is why when you get your mala blessed you'll notice that the lama blows on it after saying mantras (and we "store" them in our malas after we do recitations, too).

This would seem to be connected to the first part of the quote from the Karandavyuha Sutra that Losal Samten posted:

“Those who inhale that person’s breath, whether in love or in anger, will become irreversible bodhisattvas. They will quickly attain the highest complete enlightenment and be samyaksaṃbuddhas.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

your question is not silly, but noble
when transformation practice is done -wich seems to be the case-
there is sound and light -mantra recitation and visualization-
if you want to put a possitive cause for any sentient being
you can visualize rainbow lights from avalokiteshvara's heart to him -your dog in this case-

sound of mantra is for activate, for make real, concrete, your visualization
so from visualization you can do all kind of good actions

best regards my friend.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Karma Chyizom

Post by Karma Chyizom »

Thank you everyone, it's made me really happy to think that he'll also be getting the benefit. You've all been really kind to answer my question! :)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Karma Jinpa wrote:As I learned it, if you blow on an animal with your breath after reciting the Mani, that will create a beneficial karmic connection...
Will it cause a negative connection if you have halitosis?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”