Are there many former Catholics/Christians here?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Derek

Re: Are there many former Catholics/Christians here?

Post by Derek »

Xhale1227 wrote:If anyone has gone through a similar predicament, I'd love some advice as too what would be the best move for me right now. My faith is Christianity is gone so remaining a Catholic while simply practicing meditation and such is not an option.
I can't offer you any advice, but I can offer you my story of practicing meditation in a Christian context: http://xpu.ca/bc
MindTheGap
Location: Earth, 3rd Planet, 1 AU Sol; 4 ly @ RA 14h 29m 42.9487s Dec −62° 40′ 46.141″: to Proxima Centauri

Post by MindTheGap »

I was a Catholic seminarian when I discovered Buddhism. Growing up, I struggled for years to reconcile my own spiritual beliefs with Catholicism. When I began to study Buddhism, it was all there. No need to reconcile my beliefs. There was a sense of coming home and a complete relaxation. It was all there, it made complete sense and also gave me a new understanding about aspects of my spirituality I had struggled with.

My family won't accept my Buddhism. They are in denial that I am a Buddhist. Just this afternoon, my sister invited me to come with them to see "God's Not Dead 2".

My mom does seem intrigued by Buddhism. She has a firm belief in Catholicism, but also knows how to keep an open mind and have an intelligent conversation, even if she then proceeds to ask me when I'm coming back to church...

I was listening to an audio presentation by Pema (Bodhisattva Mind) over at my parent's house one evening. I was going to have dinner with them and they were occupied elsewhere in the house. I was in the room alone with my eyes closed, just letting it play over the external speaker of my iPhone (not fond of headphones or earbuds...). Unbeknownst to me, my mom had come into the room and was listening as well. When I opened my eyes, she had a very thoughtful look on her face. She said, "Who is that?" I told her that it was Pema, a Buddhist nun, who was teaching about a Buddhist text by Shantideva. She said, "Yeah, I like some of those verses. Can you print them out for me? I'd like to make them part of my daily prayers."

So... I know she's not going to become a Buddhist. But, just let Buddhism speak for itself and people may find something in it for themselves, if they have an open mind.

I also have to say that I like Pope Francis. Won't make me a Catholic again but he does give me hope for the Catholic Church.

Most of my classmates that I still keep in touch with who went on to become priests have a respect for Buddhism, and I often have some good conversations with them about the commonalities of Christianity and Buddhism. They are also intrigued by the differences. So, my separation with Catholicism is not really a painful one for me.

Except for my sister's attempts to re-convert me. That gets annoying at times...
And now, as long as space endures, As long as there are beings to be found,
May I continue, likewise, to remain, To drive away the sorrows of the world.

- Shantideva: Bodhicharyavatara

In this world there is no man, there is no woman. There is no person, self or consciousness.
Man and woman are merely imputed and have no essence. Thus, the minds of worldly beings are mistaken.

- Wisdom Moon: now known as the Bodhisattva Tara

When there arises a gap in the mind...

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

:good: :thanks:
... and I agree with you about Pope Francis. :smile:

:namaste:
Kim
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

I'm willing to bet one year of my income that Pope Francis is a returning bodhisattva :)
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Kaji wrote:I'm willing to bet one year of my income that Pope Francis is a returning bodhisattva :)
Or just a nice guy! :smile:

Ex-Greek Orthodox Christian here, but attended Catholic schools up until I was 15 (growing up in New Zealand, Greek Orthodox educational facilities were pretty thin on the ground). I seriously considered becoming a priest, though I imagine it wasn't for all the right reasons.

After that I became an atheist and continue to be one (in the sense that I don't believe in a creator deity).

Started Buddhist meditational practices in 1994, I don't remember when I officially "converted".

My wife is agnostic tending towards atheist, the mumbled chants, bells and smells tend to freak her out, but she copes with it.

My parents are Greek Orthodox Christians. My father is a cantor (and was offered a priests position recently) and my mother never misses a chance to visit church. I don't press the issue with them nor have I spoken about my "conversion". They freak out a bit over the protector statues, but they see that essentially I have not become a baby-eating-demon-worshipper, so they are cool.

I don't talk about it unless asked anyway (which is the "rule" anyway in Vajrayana, actually the "rule" is that you are asked three times).

Of course you are going to have to deal with your beliefs as it will impact on your relationship with your wife, since you live in the same space. But like I said, don't force the issue, let her come to you when she is ready.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
MindTheGap
Location: Earth, 3rd Planet, 1 AU Sol; 4 ly @ RA 14h 29m 42.9487s Dec −62° 40′ 46.141″: to Proxima Centauri

Post by MindTheGap »

When I was a Catholic, I attended some Greek Orthodox liturgies. It's a beautiful tradition. For an Orthodox Christian who finds the dharma, I can see how Tibetan Buddhism would be appealing. :smile:
And now, as long as space endures, As long as there are beings to be found,
May I continue, likewise, to remain, To drive away the sorrows of the world.

- Shantideva: Bodhicharyavatara

In this world there is no man, there is no woman. There is no person, self or consciousness.
Man and woman are merely imputed and have no essence. Thus, the minds of worldly beings are mistaken.

- Wisdom Moon: now known as the Bodhisattva Tara

When there arises a gap in the mind...

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I spent about seven years as a semi evangelical, and was a Pioneer Clubs leader. There was church storm, I got fed up and left, and happily found the Dalai Lama's teachings on the net. Been happily Buddhist ever since.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Myoho-Nameless wrote:To some degree I think that western Buddhism could benefit from "looking" like christianity. many moons ago I saw a re purposed church, I think it was Catholic what with the stained glass ("we" protestants tend to have simpler church decorations), and I thought that was interesting.

Its basically what happened to every other place Buddhism showed up in.
I noticed that our Pure Land temple here in Seattle has a bit of a Protestant Christian flavor. I've been to a few services. They sing hymns with piano accompaniment. The temple is officially called not a temple, but Seattle Buddhist Church. (I understand this has to do with Japanese-Americans' desire to assimilate to American culture in the WW2 era.) And of course, central to Pure Land Buddhism is faith in Amida Buddha's power of salvation, by way of being reborn in Amida's Pure Land through chanting the nembutsu. Reliance on Amida's grace and the "other-power" emphasis of Pure Land bear a notable resemblance to Christian theology. So some of the similarities are central to the Pure Land tradition, and others came from apparent attempts to "Westernize" the practice.
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Also grew up in a Catholic society. But church ... that was something that the postwar generation sent their children to. That didn't hold long. I've studied several systems, Zen being my fist Buddhist contact, also driven by martial arts.

Best
Kc
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Like Greg, I also came from an Eastern Orthodox background.

I think that in fact EO actually helped in my transition and adoption of Buddhism as an alternative. There are some quite interesting similarities between both religions, like strong emphasis on manasticism and monastic spirituality, silent/contemplative prayer (Hesychasm), Deification or Theosis, ritualism etc. I think all those concepts helped me to adjust, than coming from an Atheistic of Protestant background! :namaste:

But i got tired of the moralism, strong dogmatism, and had a hard time reconciling new acquired beliefs like rebirth, karma with orthodox dogmata! Buddhist relativism and nominalism also made me more tolerant and open in many ways.
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
Derek

Post by Derek »

It's a bit late to help the OP, but Paul F. Knitter's Without Buddha I Could Not Be a Christian might appeal. It's a foundational account of the postmodern phenomenon of double-belonging. And of course there are the Bernadette Roberts books -- Experience of No-Self, Path to No-Self, and What Is Self?
Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X »

Derek wrote:It's a bit late to help the OP, but Paul F. Knitter's Without Buddha I Could Not Be a Christian might appeal. It's a foundational account of the postmodern phenomenon of double-belonging. And of course there are the Bernadette Roberts books -- Experience of No-Self, Path to No-Self, and What Is Self?
Bernadette Roberts writings are extraordinary and important and should be read by all westerners regardless of their beliefs. 'What Is Self' should hold up as a classic treatise of the human experience and its potential. I would compare her importance to Meister Eckhart's, but her keen analytical eye is something exceptional. Personally, I regard her as a true master. She must be 90 years old now.
cky

Post by cky »

Born and raised catholic as well. Stopped going to church around 14 or 15, kinda went atheist during the time. Discovered Buddhism around 18/19.

There was a phase in the beginning where I really felt ill-willed towards Christianity, but over the years I've eased more and more into a cordial friendship with it. I go to church on Christmas with the family and sometimes, when the sermon is a good one about love and compassion, I feel very very close to the Christian religion.

Last Christmas especially I heard what I thought was almost a Vajrayana teaching: The priest talked at length about how god is in everyone of us and we should come back to that sensation of not being separate from god in our everyday lives. :tongue:
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I just got back from the Mass in the Church.

"So, as I said, Kalamas: 'Don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, "This contemplative is our teacher." When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness" — then you should enter & remain in them.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

https://dharmapaths.com/

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X »

I came across this thesis which can be downloaded on the web. The title is "Shentong Madhyamaka and Via Negativa, A Buddhist and a Christian Approach To The Absolute. It focuses on The Blessed Angela of Foligno (1248-1309) and Dolpopa Sherab Gyaltsen (1292-1361). Could be interesting to someone who is interested in this kind of comparative approach.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Went Catholic school and did catechism. Half-Sisters can't utter a sentence without mentioning the Creator God. They proselytize hard. My birthday card is always, We want you to be with us in heaven with mommy, not in hell with your pagan father. I've always been a dharma oriented person since 5 yrs old when my Indian grandfather taught me stuff. I've always been caught betWeen two worlds. My Indian fam figured me as white. So I learned to let people think what they want. I play along. Disabusing folks of their misconceptions is tiresome. Except when they try to make me affirm their side is when I put my foot down and say, That's not my religion. I don't proselytize. I don't tell people what I believe unless they ask out of sincerity. I don't get into debates. Well here I do. Good thing about Buddhism, especially Vajrayana and especially especially Dzogchen is you keep, and it a secret. Allowing what's in your heart to become a family issue is a total pain in the ass. No one needs to know you attended an initiation. No one needs to know what's in your mind. The trouble starts when you get caught up in the costume behavior, wearing eastern clothes, setting up an altar, purchasing props and chanting. You don't need to do that either. Get into the main point. But you have to discipline your mind against what I call AA mentality. Don't assume bc you have an issue everyone else does too and thus need the same remedy you do. Don't get into discussions and debates just to convince yourself by gnawing at others ears. Just keep quiet and know in time you will clear up misconceptions about Buddhism or whatever by talking to those folks. That's my advice.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :good:
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Crazywisdom wrote:My birthday card is always, We want you to be with us in heaven with mommy, not in hell with your pagan father.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

A Sunday school is a prison in which children do penance for the evil conscience of their parents.
H. L. Mencken

(This pertains to my own experience, not necessarily yours).
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Natan

Post by Natan »

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Crazywisdom wrote:My birthday card is always, We want you to be with us in heaven with mommy, not in hell with your pagan father.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

A Sunday school is a prison in which children do penance for the evil conscience of their parents.
H. L. Mencken

(This pertains to my own experience, not necessarily yours).
Oh plenty of you are born wicked and need redeemed.sangre de christo
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
PemaSherab

Post by PemaSherab »

Seven years of Catholic school and I considered entering the seminary.
Q:Is the ability “to see what is in front of us” a way of escaping from the image-prison which surrounds us?
A: Very definitely, yes. But this is an ability which very few people have, and fewer and fewer as time passes.

Excerpt From
The Job
William S. Burroughs

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”