Buddhist Keychains

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Lotus415

Buddhist Keychains

Post by Lotus415 »

This may be a random question, but I was wondering... I have recently come across some "Buddhist" keychains, with the Diamond Sutra, Great Compassion Mantra, etc, written out in Chinese. I thought the idea of carrying something like this around sounded nice, as another reminder of mindfullness throughout the days, but hesitated when I thought of throwing keys around with mantras and sutras attached. Any thoughts? They seem to be popular in Asia.
Paul

Re: Buddhist Keychains

Post by Paul »

You don't have to attach them to your keys - stick them on a bag, for instance.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I admit to them being a guilty pleausre. Used to know a great place in Singapore to get them but they don't carry them anymore.
lorem

Post by lorem »

Lotus415 wrote:This may be a random question, but I was wondering... I have recently come across some "Buddhist" keychains, with the Diamond Sutra, Great Compassion Mantra, etc, written out in Chinese. I thought the idea of carrying something like this around sounded nice, as another reminder of mindfullness throughout the days, but hesitated when I thought of throwing keys around with mantras and sutras attached. Any thoughts? They seem to be popular in Asia.
Diamond Sutra on a keychain? I want one. Intention. If you are disrespectful chant a certain number of times and let go.

What to do about a lost key?
I should be meditating.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Put them on a chain or ribbon/thread around your neck.

Another option is to secure it on a "fancy" safety pin and pin it to your clothes. I did this for a Guru Rinpoche gau I gave a Turkish Dharma brother of mine so he could wear it at work.

Something else you can do is to save electronic versions of the Sutras on a micro sd card and put them in a locket. I have the entire Tibetan Kangyur (Sutra Canon) and Tengyur (Canonical commentaries) on a couple of micro sd.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”