Lama says Loch Ness is a Naga (??!)

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Nosta

Lama says Loch Ness is a Naga (??!)

Post by Nosta »

I am not sure if this is the right place for this...news...

Also, why would a Lama claim such things? Here goes:
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/ne ... -is-a-naga" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buddhists claim Loch Ness Monster is a 'naga'
The UK's first Buddhist Lama believes that the creature is more of a spiritual than physical entity.

Most attempts to capture evidence of Scotland's famous lake monster over the years have been based on the idea that there is an actual physical creature living in the murky depths, but now in the run up to the opening of a new Buddhist centre in the Highlands there is talk of a much different interpretation of the monster legend.

Lama Gelongmo Zangmo, spiritual director of a project to bring the new centre to Drumnadrochit this autumn, maintains that the Loch Ness Monster has never been about there being a physical creature residing in the lake.

"Nessie is a naga," she said. "We build the relationship with the naga, try to please them and don’t abuse the environment. If Nessie is treated well, she will bring prosperity."

Lama Zangmo also went on to praise the region as a place of magic and inspiration.

"This is such a beautiful part of the country and it has a very special feel to it," she said. "The natural setting is wonderful, how pure the air is and the sense of spirit in the Highlands is most magnificent and inspiring. The scenery is striking, the light is beautiful and being close to Loch Ness has a special magic about it."
Simon E.

Re: Lama says Loch Ness is a Naga (??!)

Post by Simon E. »

Oh dear..what nonsense. And that's just the idea that she is 'the Uk's first Lama '..As for the Loch Ness Monster business...oh dear again.
Just what the Dharma needs..not.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Right first off, this is an 'inspirational' piece that appeared on the Scottish news, you know the little 'in other news story' that appears at the end? really it was to mark the fact that Lama Zangmo had started teaching in the Highlands. LZ never actually stated that 'Nessie' was a Naga, she just proposed the idea that it might be connected.

Lama Zangmo, was given her 'title' by Akong Rinpoche to mark her achievement on completing 12 years retreat and guiding many other retreatants...she is very nice, and a dedicated practitioner.

Also to be fair Simon, ChNN teaches many practices connected with Nagas and the various 8 classes, which I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do if he believed nagas to be fantasy....and there still a well at Samye Ling sealed by CTR which he said a powerful Naga resided in, he put a rather ornate stone cover on it. So it's pretty clear he perceived them to be of importance too.
s.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I am not suggesting that nagas are a fantasy Stewart, just that nessie is...
And I realise that Lama Zangmo did not personally claim that she was the first Lama in the UK.

jbaumannmontilla

Post by jbaumannmontilla »

So Asian supernatural beings are real, but European ones are not?
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Hi simon...thanks for your reply.

Tbh I think it was meant to be a 'lighthearted' piece.

Hope you're well.
s.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

My gf is a bit of a nagger. :crying:
Last edited by dzogchungpa on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Well, if Nessie was a naga that would explain how she's lived so long! :-0
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

jbaumannmontilla wrote:So Asian supernatural beings are real, but European ones are not?
My guess is that both are equally real.

I confess I am a Naga appeaser myself. Living on a small island and everything...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Possibly. Why not?
There's some strange phenomenon there, as anybody
who's been there will tell. What? who can say?
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

ngodrup wrote:Possibly. Why not?
There's some strange phenomenon there, as anybody
who's been there will tell. What? who can say?

" Anybody " ?

I've been there.
The only phenomenon I was aware of of is the quiet means of earning a tourist pound practised by the locals.

Good luck to 'em, I say. I gather trade has dropped off lately.

plwk

Post by plwk »

Lama Gelongmo Zangmo, semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit...
lobster

Post by lobster »

Napoleon Dynamite: Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.

:woohoo:
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Simon, you're a cynic. ;)

There are lots of strange places in Scotland. Loch Ness is one.
It is very easy to think you might see something just because
the water runs deep and is full of peat-- it's tea colored in the
first place! Ruins of Castle Urquhart would be a perfect place for
Chod practice.
theanarchist

Post by theanarchist »

Aren't nagas supposed to reside in many "watery" places?

So, why not in Loch Ness.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

By the way, I believe that Nagas may be some kind of real entity. Also, Loch Ness monster may be real too (maybe a kind of unknow animal...but most probably a business idea to atract tourists). What I dont understand is why would a buddhist lama say that a physical monster is a spiritual being and whats the interest to spread such idea in the news.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Nosta wrote:By the way, I believe that Nagas may be some kind of real entity. Also, Loch Ness monster may be real too (maybe a kind of unknow animal...but most probably a business idea to atract tourists). What I dont understand is why would a buddhist lama say that a physical monster is a spiritual being and whats the interest to spread such idea in the news.
Well Nosta, if it upsets you so much, ignore it. As I've already said, it was meant to be a light-hearted piece linking Tibetan Buddhism to the Highlands of Scotland..not a 'set in stone' testament of what the Loch Ness monster is. Lighten up.
s.
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Buddhism has often consumed local traditions? :shrug:
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

ngodrup wrote:Simon, you're a cynic. ;)

There are lots of strange places in Scotland. Loch Ness is one.
It is very easy to think you might see something just because
the water runs deep and is full of peat-- it's tea colored in the
first place! Ruins of Castle Urquhart would be a perfect place for
Chod practice.

If you think that Loch Ness is strange you should visit Bearsden.

emaho

Post by emaho »

We don't know if what is written in that article is what the Lama really said. Really, the only time that I was ever "quoted" in the press (anonymously) I didn't even recognise that that was supposed to be something that I've said.

They don't even get her name right, they call her Gelongmo Zangmo instead of Gelongma Zangmo. They also make the false claim that she's "the UK's first Buddhist Lama". Why should we assume that they represent her statements correctly?

Maybe the journalist asked her "What do you think of Nessie?" and maybe she just answered from a Buddhist point of view it would not be entirely impossible that maybe a Naga-like being existed in Loch Ness. :shrug:
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”