I would love a study partner

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Nyada

I would love a study partner

Post by Nyada »

:rolling: I would love a study partner(s). All I am looking for is somebody that is willing to read books with me (selecting together) and then at lest once a week via E- mail/Skype/ other chat programs. We discuss what we have been reading and helping each other to see more sides of the work or just to understand it better as a whole. More conversations can be added for more difficult texts. Really consider it an online Buddhist Book Club.

So currently I am reading. Jewel Ornament (Purple cover) I just started chapter 4 so if you would like to join me for this book I can wait for you to get up to where I am. :reading:
Crimson Tulip

Re: I would love a study partner

Post by Crimson Tulip »

Nyada wrote::rolling: I would love a study partner(s). All I am looking for is somebody that is willing to read books with me (selecting together) and then at lest once a week via E- mail/Skype/ other chat programs. We discuss what we have been reading and helping each other to see more sides of the work or just to understand it better as a whole. More conversations can be added for more difficult texts. Really consider it an online Buddhist Book Club.

So currently I am reading. Jewel Ornament (Purple cover) I just started chapter 4 so if you would like to join me for this book I can wait for you to get up to where I am. :reading:

This sounds interesting. I will take a look at the book. thanks........Crimson Tulip
ps I have no idea what I am doing in regard to blogging or sharing the Dharma in this way......please bear with me if I am not responding/posting correctly
Crimson Tulip

Post by Crimson Tulip »

I've ordered this book after reading about it. It looks very much like a place for me to be. Funny how things happen when they are supposed to. Read the intro from HH and am excited to read/ share if all works out. Expect book by mail in 3-5 days. Thanks to you for the suggestion.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Ah, this is a wonderful idea.

I started to read and contemplate about "The Middle Way of Nagarjuna" (Madhiamika-śastra - translated from Chinese to German). This is a big project for me, because I read very slowly. I was looking for someone to join me, but there are not many who are able to understand it or who are interested at all.
So now I can not join your group about the "Jewel Ornament", because I don't want to lose my train on thought with Nagarjuna.
But I'm so slow - maybe you can join me, when you have finished the studies on your book. :tongue:
:namaste:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Ayu wrote: :namaste:
Strange error. I pressed the button „namaste", but it came out this one....
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

Sorry to hijack your thread but...I will be reading Liberation In the Palm of Your Hand starting today and would be interested in exploring it with a partner.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Lukeinaz wrote:Sorry to hijack your thread but...I will be reading Liberation In the Palm of Your Hand starting today and would be interested in exploring it with a partner.
I hope you will find somebody. :smile:
There are so many texts, but i suppose evrybody has a certain idea what to study exactly right now.
Crimson Tulip

Post by Crimson Tulip »

This is very slow going in reading this book. Took time to read all intro and translator's notes, etc. About 1/2 way through Chap. 1 and it is like reading another language. I am pretty familiar with most terms, but this is like trying to run through thick mud. I'm not a quitter however. Will continue to read. I am pretty hard on myself, as well, in that I want to understand every aspect of what I am reading and never satisfied to gloss over a word or phrase that doesn't completely make sense at first. Find myself re-reading phrases and thinking about the original meaning of certain words, etc. For example I will stop and analyze a particular Sutra rather than paying attention to the reason a phrase from a Sutra is used. Perhaps I am distracted by my own mind and the desire to understand so much at once. I will persevere and am happy to talk on any other media/forum about this -in general terms, if anyone else is interested. I would love to know if this reading is a struggle for anyone else. Perhaps, it is written for more intellectual types than I. I write this at 3:35 am EST, as I am awake and thinking.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

For your help: try to do shamata before you start to think about what you have read.
:smile: And forget about yourself. Just dive into the teaching.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”