What types of candles are good for meditation?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Albert11

What types of candles are good for meditation?

Post by Albert11 »

Can you recommend to me some candles that you use for meditation?
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: What types of candles are good for meditation?

Post by narhwal90 »

Which have you tried?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

It really depends on your needs. If you are in a hurry, and don’t have a lot of time to meditate, birthday candles are the best. They only last for a few minutes.
:jumping:

Candles can be used as a focus during meditation, same as with the breath. But unlike watching the breath, you can’t take them everywhere. They’ve also been known to cause fires. And unlike breath, they cost money. I don’t know anyone who uses candles as an object of meditation, although I have heard it suggested to beginners.

Candles are generally lit in Buddhist practice to symbolize an offering of pure light, placed begore one’s shrine or altar. Personally, I use a small (“tea light”) electric candle built into a plastic lotus flower. I like tacky things. I got it during a visit to Taiwan, so it also holds some special memories for me.

Probably the best type of candle to state at (to meditate with) would be a small votive candle placed inside a glass votive candle holder. This will retain the wax so it won’t melt all over the place. A good 2” tall votive candle, contained in a votive cup, will burn for 8-12 hours.

Mingyur Rinpoche, in a teaching (I think it’s on YouTube) once made a very good point: every focus of meditation, breath, candles, Buddha statues, whatever, is still a kind of distraction. But the thing is, it is single-pointed distraction. He referred to our usual “monkey mind” which typically jumps all over the place from one thought to another. Having a single object on which to meditate gives that monkey just one thing to do, just one thing to watch.

Once distraction is minimized, then the real task of looking directly at one’s mind can begin.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I like 100% beeswax. I don't like the petrochemical ones. I make them myself. Jedwards often has a good deal on the granaules.
Tills ljuset tar oss

Post by Tills ljuset tar oss »

Handmade japanese buddhist candles might be good. I remember years ago that i lit one and recited the mantra of light and it burned out the second i finished the mala. I always saw that as a minor auspicious sign that these candles were the real thing.

They are usually used in buddhist altars in Japan.
Amanda11

Post by Amanda11 »

It all depends on your needs and which candle scent you like the most. I use lemon-scented candles from https://mycandleplanet.com/, they relax me while meditating and I feel comfortable when I light a candle while meditating, they contribute to the atmosphere and you focus better when you create a pleasant environment. I like to have a few candles in the room because of the stronger smell.

(ed: moderator narhwal90 corrected link)
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

I use electric candles.
They offer light, look nice and don’t risk burning the house down.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”