In Love With the World, Mingyur Rinpoche

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
cjdevries

In Love With the World, Mingyur Rinpoche

Post by cjdevries »

I just read online that a pdf of Mingyur Rinpoche's book "In Love With the World" is being offered for free @ Namo Buddha Publications: https://namobuddhapub.org/zc/index.php? ... cts_id=358

Namo Buddha Publications is offering the pdf and epub version of the book for free. I don't know how long the offer lasts. It is an engaging book that chronicles Mingyur Rinpoche's journey in leaving his monastery to go on a wandering retreat, where he faced many hardships and had to practice dharma under oft-difficult circumstances. This book provides seemingly endless practical advice on how to work with obstacles on the spiritual path.

About the book:

At thirty-six years old, Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche was a rising star within his generation of Tibetan masters and the respected abbot of three monasteries. Then one night, telling no one, he slipped out of his monastery in India with the intention of spending the next four years on a wandering retreat, following the ancient practice of holy mendicants. His goal was to throw off his titles and roles in order to explore the deepest aspects of his being.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/414 ... -the-world
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Knotty Veneer

Re: In Love With the World, Mingyur Rinpoche

Post by Knotty Veneer »

In fact there is a lot of really good stuff there free or very cheap of interest particularly to Kagyu practitioners. Definitely worth a look through what they have.
This is not the wrong life.
Punya

Post by Punya »

It's wonderful that they are making these resources so accessible. It's worth considering a donation, even a small one, as well.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I think in the future the internet will make the brick and mortar monastery largely unnecessary in the West. Not completely, but largely.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

Punya wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:40 pm It's wonderful that they are making these resources so accessible. It's worth considering a donation, even a small one, as well.
Good idea, I'm going to make a small donation.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Punya

Post by Punya »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:37 pm I think in the future the internet will make the brick and mortar monastery largely unnecessary in the West. Not completely, but largely.
The resources are great, but structure and connection will still be important for most. In this context, it seems like the online courses will have an increasing role. But, as you say, will not completely replace face-to-face.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

cjdevries wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:06 pm Mingyur Rinpoche's book "In Love With the World"
It is a good book. I found it in the context of looking for books about near death experiences. It didn't really emphasize that part, but I liked reading it.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Inedible wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:49 pm
I found it in the context of looking for books about near death experiences. It didn't really emphasize that part ....
That's interesting. I thought it was pretty descriptive about his experience (although not solely focussing on that). You can also do follow up courses at Tergar if you want to go deeper.
~Chatral Rinpoche

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”